No more electronic scales for me

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: No more electronic scales for me

Post by cz515 » 22 Apr 2022, 12:10 pm

The Google is strong here
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by SPRINT-GTO » 13 Jul 2022, 4:21 pm

wanneroo wrote:The Redding factory isn't all that far away from me. They seem to have the best quality for everything and have been impressed with their dies so far. Will gradually update to their gear over time, scales, powder scale and powder measure.

I was not aware Redoing had a factory in OZ.
Where is it located?
SPRINT-GTO
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 13 Jul 2022, 5:23 pm

Oldbloke wrote:s**t happens. Let's us know if your happy with them.

After quite the extended shipping time they arrive. To be honest I was expecting a solid lump of metal however the seem to be some light alloy and not as robust as I thought they’d be. The weight index doesn’t exactly line up with the measurement scale on the beam either.
Can’t say that I am super impressed or that I’d buy them again either mate. In saying that they do seem to work ok.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jul 2022, 6:15 pm

SPRINT-GTO wrote:
wanneroo wrote:The Redding factory isn't all that far away from me. They seem to have the best quality for everything and have been impressed with their dies so far. Will gradually update to their gear over time, scales, powder scale and powder measure.

Where is it located?

He is in the US...
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 14 Jul 2022, 12:49 am

SPRINT-GTO wrote:

Where is it located?

Their factory is located in Cortland, New York.

Unfortunately they do not have a factory store on site or I would go visit.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by northdude » 14 Jul 2022, 5:06 am

My hornady digis have been good. The only thing that pisses me off with then is the auto turn off thing.
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Boundry Rider » 14 Jul 2022, 8:53 am

northdude wrote:My hornady digis have been good. The only thing that pisses me off with then is the auto turn off thing.

Yeah same that is annoying, also I tried to load reverse: setup to -70G (70G fireformed) and work toward zero so as to not mess up when i am loading unfired (70.5G). But its least accurate at the zero setting.
Strange I thought but that's how it panned out when I periodically check it on my beam scale.
Good value scale though.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 14 Jul 2022, 11:01 am

I use the GemPro 250, that's been running since I bought it in 2014. The only time it ever turns off is when we used to have occasional power cuts.
It was reasonably expensive, about $350 from memory, and I don't know if it's still made, but it's been great for me.

I don't mind beam scales, and being mechanical, it's hard for them to go wrong. But they do have a significant issue, they only start to move when you are close to what you have set it to weigh. If you set it to 40gn for example, you can pour powder into the pan and nothing happens until you're up around 38gn or so, then it starts to measure. A digital scale goes back to zero between weighs, and it measures the increasing weight from zero as it comes up to where you have it set. If you bump a beam scale without noticing, it can be off zero and gives you no indication that there could be an issue. I prefer to mount the beam scale on a shelf on the wall at eye level, making it very easy to read and making it very unlikely to be knocked about.

And the beam scale can be difficult to read and set, especially for a new user. I strongly recommend using a powder dipper that gets you into the right ballpark. When you dump this into the pan it should be close enough that it lifts the beam and tells you it's close. If it doesn't move the beam, or if it lifts the beam to the upper stop then you know you are out by several grains and can address the issue right away.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 14 Jul 2022, 11:29 am

I got sh*t on from great heights on another forum for advising against electronic stuff for long term service .
Redding competition manual thrower , Redding manual scales here , 40 years old and still working fine .
It will still be working fine when I am dead and gone . You only use the scales to set the powder measure . It's been my experience to see that of all the things that affect group accuracy minute differences in powder load is about the least of your worries .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by northdude » 14 Jul 2022, 12:02 pm

JohnV wrote:I got sh*t on from great heights on another forum for advising against electronic stuff for long term service .
Redding competition manual thrower , Redding manual scales here , 40 years old and still working fine .
It will still be working fine when I am dead and gone . You only use the scales to set the powder measure . It's been my experience to see that of all the things that affect group accuracy minute differences in powder load is about the least of your worries .

Not in a 22 hornet. They are about the most sensative round I load for
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bladeracer » 14 Jul 2022, 1:36 pm

JohnV wrote:I got sh*t on from great heights on another forum for advising against electronic stuff for long term service .

I use the scale to throw every charge. I only use a thrower when I'm loading bulk milsurp ammo, and I still throw them to the scale before they go in the case.

Yep, people get way too caught up in chasing a hundredth of a grain when they probably won't have any measurable difference in a tenth of a grain.
Last edited by bladeracer on 14 Jul 2022, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 14 Jul 2022, 7:21 pm

Confidence in your equipment is a big factor in performing well so whatever works well and makes you feel confident is always right .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by northdude » 14 Jul 2022, 7:47 pm

Whats a good electronic scale that doesnt have auto turn off
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bladeracer » 14 Jul 2022, 8:53 pm

northdude wrote:Whats a good electronic scale that doesnt have auto turn off

The GemPro250 never turns off.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 16 Jul 2022, 12:58 pm

It's quite a problem now with technology that people designing the stuff don't really understand how it will be used and what functions are good or just plain stupid and annoying to the customer . The problem is compounded by most corporations now have totally closed ears to customer feedback and just go on making the same mistakes over and over . The only time they start paying some attention is when sales start to slip and by that time it's usually too late .
Look at some of the truly horrible ugly vehicle designs that are coming out now . Bad designers that failed to understand their customers sent Jaguar broke .
Modern sales ethos is now to try and force you to take what they want to sell , rather than change their thinking to supply a product that suits the customers needs .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jul 2022, 1:19 pm

"Modern sales ethos is now to try and force you to take what they want to sell , rather than change their thinking to supply a product that suits the customers needs:

Many companies consider the customers sheep.

To be:
Shorn
Screwed
Eaten.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 17 Jul 2022, 9:13 am

northdude wrote:

Not in a 22 hornet. They are about the most sensative round I load for
I have loaded for a hornet many years ago and still used a powder thrower with no problems . I have seen people using powder throwers like they are chopping firewood and they wonder why the thrown loads are not as consistent as they can be . This can account for some people not liking them .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 17 Jul 2022, 9:14 am

Oldbloke wrote:"Modern sales ethos is now to try and force you to take what they want to sell , rather than change their thinking to supply a product that suits the customers needs:

To be:
Shorn
Screwed
Eaten.

Exactly
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by animalpest » 21 Jul 2022, 3:11 pm

JohnV wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:"Modern sales ethos is now to try and force you to take what they want to sell , rather than change their thinking to supply a product that suits the customers needs:

To be:
Shorn
Screwed
Eaten.

Exactly

I have shorn and eaten sheep, the rest I will leave to you
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia