Moisture absorption for handgun safes?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Moisture absorption for handgun safes?

Post by jwai86 » 07 Apr 2022, 10:25 pm

What items do handgun owners use in smaller handgun safes to absorb moisture without taking up too much space inside?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Moisture absorption for handgun safes?

Post by No1Mk3 » 07 Apr 2022, 11:10 pm

Nothing, I lightly oil my handguns before putting them away, here in Melbourne the humidity is fairly moderate at 55% avg annual, with 5% less days making 20degree dew points than Sydney. Unless you are in a particularly high humid area, just ensure you use a carpet lined safe and follow good cleaning regimens and you shouldn't need anything else, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 08 Apr 2022, 2:33 am

Same as my rifle safe rice
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Phil Lawlor » 08 Apr 2022, 7:45 am

I just buy the small slimline "moisture absorber" packs from Bunnings and put them in the bottom of the safe. They retail for about $6 for a twin pack. They absorb moisture, eliminate odours etc. I replace them every couple of months and they are cheap insurance for my mind. Not sure if they would suit smaller handgun safes but might be worth considering.
Phil Lawlor
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 08 Apr 2022, 8:55 am

Phil Lawlor wrote:I just buy the small slimline "moisture absorber" packs from Bunnings and put them in the bottom of the safe. They retail for about $6 for a twin pack. They absorb moisture, eliminate odours etc. I replace them every couple of months and they are cheap insurance for my mind. Not sure if they would suit smaller handgun safes but might be worth considering.

I use a similar setup, myself, for both rifle and pistol safes. Has not let me down.......yet.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by str8shutr » 08 Apr 2022, 10:57 pm

I grabbed a couple of packs of this stuff:
https://www.desiccant.com.au/hydrosorbent-dehumidifiers

Comes with colour changing indicatrors. When they show that the dessicant is saturated, it's a simple job to recharge them by putting them in an oven.
str8shutr
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment