Cleaning setup for a new shooter

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Cleaning setup for a new shooter

Post by likeimjohnwayne » 09 May 2022, 2:08 am

Hi all, after what seems like forever, I have finally submitted the paperwork to purchase my first firearm (2nd hand Browning Buck Mark).

I have already purchased a bore snake (for quick cleans), cleaning rod, patches, picks etc. The only thing I am yet to purchase is CLP/OIL/Solvent etc.

My plan is to use a bore snake after each range session then a thorough clean every few visits. I only expect to shoot 60-120 rounds per visit, hopefully more if I can get a practice session in mid week.

Interestingly, the Buck Mark owners manual does not recommend pulling apart the firearm for cleaning! :wtf:

Do you recommend a CLP (Ballistol/G96/Inox MX3) or a seperate cleaner & oil?

Thanks for your advice! :thumbsup:
likeimjohnwayne
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Cleaning setup for a new shooter

Post by northdude » 10 May 2022, 4:53 am

I find good old hopes9 seem to do the job as well as any of them for general bore cleaning.
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by likeimjohnwayne » 10 May 2022, 4:37 pm

northdude wrote:I find good old hopes9 seem to do the job as well as any of them for general bore cleaning.

OK cool, so you go with Hoppes No. 9 solvent and a seperate oil?
likeimjohnwayne
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by northdude » 10 May 2022, 5:45 pm

yep I usually leave the hoppes to soak for a bit and then clean after I've finished cleaning I wet a patch with engine oil and leave that in the bore. Then a patch with hoppes on it before shooting to get the oil out. I have found that the hoppes does ok at getting copper as well as carbon out, I have got other stuff I use as well tried boretech g96 even ammonia for getting coper out. If you use ammonia you need to make sure you clean it all out. I use a couple of patches soaked in meths dry it and then hoppes. The others work as well but I always seem to find myself coming back to the hoppes. I don't use boresnakes (thats just my personal choice) as to my way of thinking you can damage the muzzle If you don't pull it straight out the end of the bore. Others will say different no doubt but its just my opinion. I use a one piece rod and a bore guide. I also have a 3 piece rod that I take away with me if I'm gone for more than a day or at the range. A gun stand/vice is handy to sit your rifle in when cleaning it or use the bipod in the field. Another couple of things i use are a stiff toothbrush and I have a small brass brush (used for cleaning throttle bodies) for cleaning bolt face and lugs.
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by womble » 10 May 2022, 6:24 pm

Gun vise is so much better than a shoe box. Worthwhile purchase.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 10 May 2022, 6:40 pm

G'day likeimjohnwayne,
Hoppes is a good product, personally I use a home made product called Ed's Red which I make without ammonia just ATF, Kero and White Spirit then use light mineral oil afterwards (de-natured baby oil). I use it on everything except my black powder firearms. As to a boresnake, I wouldn't touch one, but if you like that sort of thing please remember to pull it dead straight out of the barrel, no angular motion at all. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 10 May 2022, 9:49 pm

As you get more firearms and spend more time shooting the appeal of cleaning will get ever smaller, especially for 22LR where cleaning will make the next cold bore shot into a real flyer and that's not great for pistol comps where you don't get initial sighting shots.

My Buckmark gets a quick nylon brush down the barrel from the muzzle end after every few hundred rounds which is about every 4 or 5 competitions, maybe more often if it's a while before it's going to be out again. I also have an old toothbrush that is used for a quick poke around at the breech end to keep the dirt levels down and then a quick spray of G96 and back into the safe it goes.

About a year of that treatment so far and no problems at all.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by northdude » 11 May 2022, 4:40 am

My 22lrs dont get the type of clean my centerfires do. Mine just get the occasional loose dry patch down the bore to take a little bit of the carbon out and a wipe down on the outside with inox. I have found that after a full on clean it can sometimes take over 20 rounds to settle down again. Not ideal for a competition firearm.
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Lukey » 17 Dec 2022, 8:14 pm

northdude wrote:My 22lrs dont get the type of clean my centerfires do. Mine just get the occasional loose dry patch down the bore to take a little bit of the carbon out and a wipe down on the outside with inox. I have found that after a full on clean it can sometimes take over 20 rounds to settle down again. Not ideal for a competition firearm.

I've come to notice that as well with my Ruger Precision Rimfire, After a good clean the first 15 rounds are all over the shop then it's all sweet from there on. My routine is much the same, but i use G96.
"Truth is... the game was rigged from the start.”

Ruger American Predator (MDT LSS Chassis) .223
Tikka T3x Lite .223
Ruger Precision Rimfire .22LR
Chiappa Little Badger .22LR
Bushmeister BA-X12 12G 20" Barrel
Lukey
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment