climate controlling a large safe

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

climate controlling a large safe

Post by mickb » 10 Jul 2022, 9:01 am

Funny title but is there any way to control temps in a large( but not walk in size) safe fellas in summer, with the aim of long term storage of components and ammo?
Last edited by mickb on 10 Jul 2022, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: climate controlling a large safe

Post by niteowl » 10 Jul 2022, 10:28 am

If the safe is "fireproof" or insulated no problem. Our gun safes are and they stay very stable with temps. You should not store powder in a safe unless the door is not latched in any way as it would be a bomb if you had ignition for some reason. Mines department rules, and if I remember right, primers are not to be kept with powder.
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by womble » 10 Jul 2022, 2:57 pm

Put it in the floor
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Jul 2022, 4:10 pm

Provided the humidity is under control there is no need for temperature control in a decent safe kept inside a building as the temperature changes are too slow to cause condensation.

Iv never had an issue even with firearms that haven't been prepared for long term storage and that's even with running an evaporative air-conditioner in the house.

Every 12 month or so I replace the dehumidifier, it's cheap AF
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JohnV » 11 Jul 2022, 7:42 pm

It's been my experience that if you also have guns inside that safe it's far better to not store anything else inside , just the guns . Other things like boots , slings , clothing , belts any leather goods all contain moisture that will condense out and onto the guns . Powder gives of fumes and can attack plastics and coatings .
For powder storage get an old non working fridge and put it on the cool side of the shed . Attach a weak lock of some kind . For ammo get some surplus army ammo cans and put a small pad lock on the opening flap of each one and store them inside the fridge . Same with primers but you don't need a lock . In really hot weather try not to open the fridge in the hot part of the day and when cold weather hits open it up for a while to release any extra heat .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mickb » 11 Jul 2022, 8:49 pm

good read fellas thanks. One thing is here the cold weather never hits. Well it gets down to 10 degrees a couple nights for winter. :)
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Jul 2022, 9:59 pm

Well I can't provide a definite answer that's for sure.
I've been a shooter for 55 years,, and never ever had moisture or rust issues.
Prior to the introduction of proper safes, all my firearms used to be kept in a wardrobe.
Since the introduction of safes,,,,,, one of mine is insulated and the other is not,, and I still haven't had any moisture issues. No dehumidifiers either.
I've lived in far north Queensland,,, South East of SA,,, lower Victoria,,, and currently in mid Queensland.
Never had a problem.
All I can deduce is its probably got something to do with house construction/type,,,,,,,, and how you heat it when or if necessary.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by mickb » 12 Jul 2022, 7:30 am

I was more after the effect on long term heat on primers/projectiles. Summers that hit 45 etc and where the night is still 30 degrees until 11-12pm. Wondered if the many decades life powders/ammo/primers enjoy in temperate climes might reduce in the tropics. I have used ammo here I have personally had for almost 25 years no problem. have used much older ammo as well( old 303 and 7.62x39 etc) but couldnt be sure where it was stored most of its life
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 12 Jul 2022, 7:47 am

The most chemically stable and long lasting powders are ball powders . However they are not as pressure tolerant to heat on firing as ADI powders are which are extruded type powders . Primers are not that adversely affected by normal daytime heat as they don't have the chemical nature of the gun powder which makes the powder more prone to oxidization and breakdown . I have used primers that were 40 years old and they worked fine . Most primer misfires are primer seating errors or faulty actions .
My Brother-in-law gave me a half tin of Win 748 that was over 30 year's old and it still worked ok . Summer temps like 45 degrees on a year in year out basis would most likely reduce a powders long term viability to some degree and checking the powder for signs of deterioration each time you use it is a good idea .
Storage conditions can vary so much that you can't make any real predictions , you just do the best you can with what you have .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment