Bipods

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Bipods

Post by Clint Ellison » 10 Jul 2022, 6:35 pm

I like hunting and shooting with bipods. What are the best bipods you have used? Am I better off buying a more expensive bipod as opposed to cheaper one? What style are best? What attachment styles are best? I've been using bipods that pivot and attach to the sling swivel and cost around $70-$90. Should I be investing in a more expensive bipod or different attachment style for hunting and shooting semi long range? Pros/cons?
Clint Ellison
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Bipods

Post by Blr243 » 10 Jul 2022, 7:13 pm

I use the Winchester brand I think thy are 75 bucks . I hate carrying them attached to the rifle but at the end of the day they do allow much better shot placement when prone shooting. I shoot open farms with bugger all ground cover so prone suites me with no grass to shoot over /thru... I never bothered with the swivel bipods because I can’t swivel my body around on the ground anyway
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 10 Jul 2022, 7:16 pm

Clint Ellison wrote:I like hunting and shooting with bipods. What are the best bipods you have used? Am I better off buying a more expensive bipod as opposed to cheaper one? What style are best? What attachment styles are best? I've been using bipods that pivot and attach to the sling swivel and cost around $70-$90. Should I be investing in a more expensive bipod or different attachment style for hunting and shooting semi long range? Pros/cons?

I have a lot of bipods, so I can grab one that best suits the rife and the situation - some of them hang on my wall by the door so I can select one as I leave.
20220131_210002b.jpg
20220131_210002b.jpg (463.9 KiB) Viewed 7660 times

The most expensive is the genuine Harris I bought in '83 (closest to the the door jamb), and it gets used the least, because it's steel, it's heavy, it's noisy to open and close, and it rusts (forty years ago it was awesome though). The rest are all Chinese knock-offs and work great, and I doubt I paid more than $40 for any of them (including shipping).
Some have tilt, some have swivel, some have both, some have fixed length detents, some are infinitely adjustable, some are swivel mounts, some are pic mounts, some are M-Lok. I much prefer QD pic-rail mounts as they clip on and off in seconds, in the field, without tools. I also prefer spring-loaded, infinitely-adjustable legs so I can tilt the rifle to where I want it, let the leg pop down to hit the surface, release the clamp and it's set.

But, for precision at longer ranges, I think it's very hard to beat a front bag, like a day-pack, or a rolled-up jacket.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by CRF » 10 Jul 2022, 8:28 pm

I used to use them a lot and thought it was the ducks nuts. Saw a few Americans using their backpacks either prone or in sitting position and thought I'd try it. Out to 400m I find it pretty much just as easy.

Having said that I do own a 9-12" Harris model S I use occasionally.
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 10 Jul 2022, 8:33 pm

The best one I've had is the invisible one that weighs nothing
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JohnV » 11 Jul 2022, 7:26 pm

Bipods that attach to the sling stud are problematic in as much as the stud is sometimes not anchored well enough in the stock and can work loose or come out .
It's not a good way to attach a bipod in my opinion and I have done some test that bare that out . I like bipods that attach onto a picatinny rail that is securely attached ( bolted ) to the forend and that makes it also quickly detachable . You can improve the situation in a wood or synthetic stock buy installing an Uncle Mikes machine screw detachable sling swivel and bolt it into the forend with a washer and small nyloc nut . That way it's way stronger and if you do take the bipod off you can just clip a sling back on .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Boundry Rider » 11 Jul 2022, 7:55 pm

This works a treat in the field.
I inserted a rubber block on the pivot frame and is exactly elbow height with plenty of windage. Snipe all game from this semi hide position, is easily carried around and obviously is dual purpose lol
Attachments
Screenshot_20220711-174821_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220711-174821_Gallery.jpg (349.04 KiB) Viewed 7593 times
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 12 Jul 2022, 11:35 am

That's a great idea with the seat . The thing that always catches me out is high grass . I always seemed to get a shot where the bloody grass was so long I could not even use the bi-pod . Now I only have a bi-pod on one prone varmint rifle where I stay put in the one spot .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Lazarus » 12 Jul 2022, 3:08 pm

I haven't used a bipod in ages, I shoot off bags on the bonnet if I take the car and I use a shooting stick when I'm on foot, particularly now it's wet all the time, bugger lying in it.

It's extendable and I find it handy at hill tops when you don't want to be exposed, you can go just far enough until your head and rifle are above the top like a hull down tank.

I put the rest just behind the front sling mount and grab the sling and the hand grip top of the stick and it's solid. I use it for the binoculars as well.

20220712_145550.jpg
20220712_145550.jpg (612.77 KiB) Viewed 7546 times

20220712_145601.jpg
20220712_145601.jpg (717.23 KiB) Viewed 7546 times
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 12 Jul 2022, 3:47 pm

Lazarus wrote:I haven't used a bipod in ages, I shoot off bags on the bonnet if I take the car and I use a shooting stick when I'm on foot, particularly now it's wet all the time, bugger lying in it.

It's extendable and I find it handy at hill tops when you don't want to be exposed, you can go just far enough until your head and rifle are above the top like a hull down tank.

I put the rest just behind the front sling mount and grab the sling and the hand grip top of the stick and it's solid. I use it for the binoculars as well.

20220712_145550.jpg

20220712_145601.jpg

Same,although my shooting stick ain't that good lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JohnV » 12 Jul 2022, 4:31 pm

A bi-pod on dirt will give you better elevation control than most bag stands on dirt but a bag stand will give better windage control of the group on dirt . Bi-pods have a habit of skating from side to side slightly as the feet recoil back putting slight horizontal into the group . When the gun recoils on a bag stand the gun slides back not the stand feet in the dirt . Poorly attached bi-pods show this even more .That's why competition bi-pods have huge sky feet to try and even out the recoil tracking .
Overall a Harris or Atlas will give more consistent accuracy than jerry rigged rests such as packs etc. over many shots . When using a bi-pod for multiple shots it's important to push it forward slightly each time before squeezing off the shot .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Lazarus » 12 Jul 2022, 4:53 pm

bigpete wrote:
Same,although my shooting stick ain't that good lol

Well worth the price BP

https://www.xhunter.com.au/products/xhu ... -w-trigger
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jul 2022, 4:56 pm

Lazarus wrote:I haven't used a bipod in ages, I shoot off bags on the bonnet if I take the car and I use a shooting stick when I'm on foot, particularly now it's wet all the time, bugger lying in it.

20220712_145550.jpg

20220712_145601.jpg

I have the same thing, except it has three legs. Really is a brilliant piece of kit.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 12 Jul 2022, 5:10 pm

Far canal, as you were BP.
I just broke the top off mine.

Happens almost every time, I brag on something and it craps out
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 12 Jul 2022, 5:12 pm

bladeracer wrote:I have the same thing, except it has three legs. Really is a brilliant piece of kit.

I'm off back to the shed now, murdering cancelled for this evening.

What brand is your Blade?
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 12 Jul 2022, 5:32 pm

Lazarus wrote:Far canal, as you were BP.
I just broke the top off mine.

Happens almost every time, I brag on something and it craps out

I'm sorry,but I had to chuckle at that a bit lol.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 12 Jul 2022, 5:53 pm

Always the way BP.
"Look at me Mum, argghhh Mummyyyy I hurt my myself."
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 12 Jul 2022, 5:58 pm

Ha ha ha,don't worry,karma got me just after I laughed. I went shoot my " baitcaster " in the backyard and the forks broke off at full draw and smashed my hand and face lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jul 2022, 6:09 pm

Lazarus wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I have the same thing, except it has three legs. Really is a brilliant piece of kit.

I would have to go up and check it, but I don't recall any markings at all, it's just the Chinese item before somebody paid to put their brand on it. I got it through Ebay but it was too long ago to be in my history. The head of mine is _identical_ to yours, only the legs are different.

This one looks even better than mine, mine doesn't spread that far out.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/253162151025
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 12 Jul 2022, 6:31 pm

Sometimes I think my life runs on 3 basic rules,
Murphy's Law, Catch-22 and the law of unintended consequences, seems to be going round.

Thanks for that link Blade. As I was squatting in the wet grass this evening after breaking mine I thought a sit down version would be the go and there it is :drinks:
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 12 Jul 2022, 6:57 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Lazarus wrote:

I would have to go up and check it, but I don't recall any markings at all, it's just the Chinese item before somebody paid to put their brand on it. I got it through Ebay but it was too long ago to be in my history. The head of mine is _identical_ to yours, only the legs are different.

This one looks even better than mine, mine doesn't spread that far out.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/253162151025

I've just put one of them in my ebay checkout :)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jul 2022, 8:46 pm

bigpete wrote:I've just put one of them in my ebay checkout :)

Me too!
Luckily he has "more than 10 available" :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 12 Jul 2022, 8:48 pm

G those have gone up in price I bought two of them at only $78 each at the time but the full-size ones you can either sit behind them or stand .
Screenshot_20220712-000153_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220712-000153_Gallery.jpg (491.46 KiB) Viewed 7491 times
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jul 2022, 9:23 pm

deye243 wrote:G those have gone up in price I bought two of them at only $78 each at the time but the full-size ones you can either sit behind them or stand .
Screenshot_20220712-000153_Gallery.jpg

Yep, I think I paid about that as well, but mine doesn't allow the legs to splay out as wide as this one seems to offer. The seated position is still quite high if you're not in decent cover - this one might allow you to almost go prone behind it with the legs fully retracted.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 12 Jul 2022, 9:53 pm

Yeah there was a thread on here somewhere from back when I bought mine about filing out the plastic area to allow their legs to go further out
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Jul 2022, 10:17 pm

deye243 wrote:Yeah there was a thread on here somewhere from back when I bought mine about filing out the plastic area to allow their legs to go further out

Yes, 2 or 3 years ago. I bought one about $55 I think. But found it a bit too tall. Will not shorten enough. So, not used.

Still just use DIY shooting sticks. Got 1 set like tent poles. Just keep extending them to suit the situation. Lol. Intend to make an improved version soon . I just need the materials.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 13 Jul 2022, 6:34 am

Oldbloke wrote:
deye243 wrote:Yeah there was a thread on here somewhere from back when I bought mine about filing out the plastic area to allow their legs to go further out

Yes, 2 or 3 years ago. I bought one about $55 I think. But found it a bit too tall. Will not shorten enough. So, not used.

Still just use DIY shooting sticks. Got 1 set like tent poles. Just keep extending them to suit the situation. Lol. Intend to make an improved version soon . I just need the materials.

I still have mine somewhere, but I confess I like the idea of the bought ones with the trigger lock/release on the legs,and I'd imagine they're not as heavy as mine are. I was thinking of making another set using a 3 legged folding stool as a base but then I still have the issue of leg extensions. I'd probably never use one laying down or kneeling,but sitting to standing I definitely would
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 13 Jul 2022, 7:38 am

I have a recent idea relating to a pair of shooting sticks but have not yet tested it or thought it through in detail. Both are two legs not three and knotted so the Knott slides where required and home made .. the first set supports the front of the rifle and when someone else views the hunter from 90 degrees side on the legs are not plumb but the bases angled slightly towards the shooter . The second set is supporting the rear of the rifle ( not exactly sure where ) and this time the legs are again not plumb but angled slightly away from the shooters body. So from side on there is sort of a V effect. So when knots are adjusted to approximate correct heights , theoretically u should be able to slightly rock the body back and forth for perfect elevation and shot placement. My next hunt will be away from vegetation free paddock s and I expect I will have to deal with potentially long grass so I fully intend taking sticks with me
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 13 Jul 2022, 10:31 am

I wasted much time and effort trying to copy the bog hunt DeathGrip tripod.
I did it but the rifle in it is 7kg and the tripod is for a camera and wobbled dangerously close to snapping, hence my late trigger stick.

20180826_114646_1_800x600.jpg
20180826_114646_1_800x600.jpg (350.12 KiB) Viewed 7454 times
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 13 Jul 2022, 11:12 am

Look what I found after posting the above got me curious about what new things Bog might have.

https://www.boghunt.com/shooting-rests/ ... 00473.html

PS
Belatedly, as often, I read the reviews of it after posting.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment