Spika safe keys

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Spika safe keys

Post by Shootermick » 15 Jul 2022, 8:39 pm

Somehow I’ve managed to break a tiny piece off the end of my key. I’ve had this Spika safe for years and can’t find the spare set anywhere.
I emailed Spika, as the key has a serial number on it. Replacement keys are available, just have to fill in all the necessary information on the form they sent back. Will be easy to complete the form. But….22 weeks until a new key will be issued!!
I called a locksmith today but they haven’t got back to me yet. I’ll get the lock changed if it’s not extortionately expensive, or, cut it open and buy a new safe!?
Might try and touch the key up with the mig and a file first, can’t make it any worse.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Spika safe keys

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jul 2022, 8:47 pm

Shootermick wrote:Somehow I’ve managed to break a tiny piece off the end of my key. I’ve had this Spika safe for years and can’t find the spare set anywhere.
I emailed Spika, as the key has a serial number on it. Replacement keys are available, just have to fill in all the necessary information on the form they sent back. Will be easy to complete the form. But….22 weeks until a new key will be issued!!
I called a locksmith today but they haven’t got back to me yet. I’ll get the lock changed if it’s not extortionately expensive, or, cut it open and buy a new safe!?
Might try and touch the key up with the mig and a file first, can’t make it any worse.

I take it the piece is not broken off in the lock?
Do you know the model of safe?
Is it a four-sided key or just two-sided?
Locksmith is your best bet but Google or Youtube the model, somebody may have posted details on how to get into it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by scoot » 15 Jul 2022, 9:17 pm

I had the same thing happen. If you can manage to get the safe open somehow you can take the lock mechanism apart and "modify" the tumbler plate that the broken part of the key contacts. With the broken key in the lock you will see which plate stops the lock turning when you try to turn the key. Take that plate out and give it a touch up with a file/grinder. Reassemble and go.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Shootermick » 15 Jul 2022, 9:33 pm

Thanks fellas.
Two sided key BR. No idea if the broken piece is in the lock.
I just couldn’t open it one day, and noticed the bit missing. This was a couple of weeks ago.
I’ve got three safes, and this is probably the least used. But it’s got my under and over in it, along with a couple of other guns. I’ve got the serial number so I’ll continue to trawl google otherwise it will probably be a locksmith call out next week.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by northdude » 16 Jul 2022, 7:41 am

Just be careful if trying to mig it. A lot of keys are brass.
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Shootermick » 16 Jul 2022, 9:48 am

northdude wrote:Just be careful if trying to mig it. A lot of keys are brass.

I gave the handle end a touch with the mig the other day, it seemed to take it, doesn’t look to be brass.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mickb » 17 Jul 2022, 9:58 pm

Call a few locksmiths mate for a quote. Or go in and see one with the key and photos on your phone. Unless spika has a special setup they should be able to drill that lock out in a minute and replace it. Whether its worth the cost will depend on the value of the safe of course. They will be able to give you a recommendation in any case.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Jul 2022, 8:55 pm

Yeah Mate,,,, I'd definitely go down the path of adding metal and then filing back to the shape needed.
Like you said,,,, ya can't do any worse.
But, depending on your available equipment and skill set,,,,,,,,,, I'd recommend adding the needed metal by oxy acetylene because,,,,,,,,

Doing it with the MIG can possibly end up with hard spots in the deposited metal making finite filing difficult.

Failing rebuilding the key successfully,, shop around all the locally available locksmiths for quotes.

I bought a secondhand fireproof safe of good quality in all respects except that the combined key lock and key pad refused to play ball.
I took it to a locksmith who simply replaced the entire lock and keypad mechanism with an Australian made one.
It fitted so well that there is no sign of ever having been replaced.

Cost of this work done was $150.00 (3 years ago) :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment