Cat H safe compliance

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Cat H safe compliance

Post by Lsfan » 16 Jul 2022, 6:44 am

The requirements for cat H safes in nsw includes the back plate being recessed 10mm/ having a 10mm skirt to prevent jemmying, presumably when up against a Brick or concrete wall.
Has anyone failed an inspection due to non compliance with this?
The reason I ask is I have a cmi safe which meets every other requirement except that one and there appear to be safes marketed as cat H compliance without the recess at the back.
I spoke with someone recently who said they had theirs installed up against a stud wall which makes jemmying virtually impossible anyway.
Anyone have any experiences with this and was there a time where this wasn't part of the compliance requirements in NSW?
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Cat H safe compliance

Post by No1_49er » 16 Jul 2022, 12:19 pm

It begs the question: If it's secured to the building by being, say, dyna-bolted to the wall and floor, how is plod going to be able to say with any authority that the recess does not exist.
"Sorry, ossifer, it is not possible to detach the safe from the building. It has been installed with the intention of it staying there."
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Lsfan » 16 Jul 2022, 2:16 pm

No1_49er wrote:It begs the question: If it's secured to the building by being, say, dyna-bolted to the wall and floor, how is plod going to be able to say with any authority that the recess does not exist.
"Sorry, ossifer, it is not possible to detach the safe from the building. It has been installed with the intention of it staying there."

The thing is, with my cmi safe for example, the external walls curve towards the corners. With the current cmi ones specifically designed for cat H, they are square edged which is an indicator that the back plate is recessed.
In saying this, one of the range officers at my local range said he has one like mine and upon inspection, the officer said "all good, it's a cmi". Whilst this may sound like a bit of a w.nk, I suspect they must encounter some really flimsy sh.t out there, like ones that purport to be cat H compliant yet cost $150.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by dnedative » 29 Jul 2022, 6:00 pm

Been through this myself;

The firearms act:
"The holder of a category C, category D or category H licence must comply with the following requirements in respect of any firearm to which the licence applies--

(a) when any such firearm is not actually being used or carried, it must be stored in a locked steel safe of a type approved by the Commissioner and that cannot be easily penetrated, "

On the NSW police website:
"The minimum standards, as determined by the Commissioner of Police for the safe to be approved are as follows: A pistol safe should be constructed to leave a 10mm skirt formed by the recessing of the back plate from the
outer edges of the sides, top and bottom wall plates to prevent jemmying"

"should" is not "must"

Long story short, none of those Chubb/CMI/Lord safes that turn up for sale second hand that were used in banks and jewelers to store half a million bucks of valuables have recessed doors because they are built so far in excess of that having it is pointless. Same deal with bolts.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 29 Jul 2022, 8:04 pm

dnedative wrote:Been through this myself;

The firearms act:
"The holder of a category C, category D or category H licence must comply with the following requirements in respect of any firearm to which the licence applies--

(a) when any such firearm is not actually being used or carried, it must be stored in a locked steel safe of a type approved by the Commissioner and that cannot be easily penetrated, "

On the NSW police website:
"The minimum standards, as determined by the Commissioner of Police for the safe to be approved are as follows: A pistol safe should be constructed to leave a 10mm skirt formed by the recessing of the back plate from the
outer edges of the sides, top and bottom wall plates to prevent jemmying"

"should" is not "must"

Long story short, none of those Chubb/CMI/Lord safes that turn up for sale second hand that were used in banks and jewelers to store half a million bucks of valuables have recessed doors because they are built so far in excess of that having it is pointless. Same deal with bolts.

Yes that's a good point. Saying you've been through this yourself. Does that mean you don't have the 10mm skirt and you've passed inspection in NSW?
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by dnedative » 02 Aug 2022, 7:59 pm

No issues
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment