Always some black residue left when cleaning?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Always some black residue left when cleaning?

Post by Bourt » 12 Aug 2013, 9:41 am

I've been shooting for a little while now and this has been nagging me...

I do the usual routine when cleaning, use a brush and solvent, then clean cloth to wipe out the junk in the barrel.

For the most part it's all good. A bunch of crap comes out and after a few passes with cloth it comes out clean.

Looking down the action and out the barrel everything looks pretty shiny inside.

If I repeat the process though, when I do the brush and solvent there's always more black crap in the solvent, despite things looking good after the first round of cleaning?

I usually give it a quick clean after each shoot then a thorough cleaning after it's been used 3-4 times. Everything's working well except for this last be of black residue which never seems to end?
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Re: Always some black residue left when cleaning?

Post by inspector » 12 Aug 2013, 1:08 pm

Not just crap on the brush?

Roll it along a paper towel after you've done a clean and you'll find a fair amount of crap is soaked up off the brush by the towel.
inspector
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by redrum » 12 Aug 2013, 1:11 pm

Which brush / solvent too?

Sometimes they can react with each other colour the solvent, even if the bore is clean.
Good news, everyone!
- Hubert J. Farnsworth
redrum
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 12 Aug 2013, 1:49 pm

Brush is a regular Tetra Gun brand bronze brush.

I actually chucked the bottle of solvent after changing the liquid to a container which had an eye dropper so don't remember the brand...

It was just labelled "copper solvent", and is a very bright clean yellow colour... ?
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by tiki » 12 Aug 2013, 2:22 pm

redrum wrote:Which brush / solvent too?

Sometimes they can react with each other colour the solvent, even if the bore is clean.

Mine does the same. Clean solvent in, brown solvent out - even on a clean barrel.

A chemical reaction to the bronze brush from memory.

Shoots good regardless so that's good enough for me.
CZ 452 .22 WMR
Savage Weather Warrior 16/116 FCSS .260 Rem
Winchester Model 1895 .30-40 Krag

Weaver K-Series 4x38
Zeiss Victory HT 2.5–10x50
tiki
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by VICHunter » 13 Aug 2013, 3:02 pm

Sounding like a reaction with the bronze.

Next time you clean it have a look if the solvent has visible debris in it, or if it's just discoloured.

If it's full of debris you'll know there is still carbon and whatever flaking out of the barrel, if it's just colour but the solvent is otherwise clear then you're probably all good.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 13 Aug 2013, 3:03 pm

VICHunter wrote:Next time you clean it have a look if the solvent has visible debris in it, or if it's just discoloured.

If it's full of debris you'll know there is still carbon and whatever flaking out of the barrel, if it's just colour but the solvent is otherwise clear then you're probably all good.

Will do. Thanks.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment