Bolt Storage

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Bolt Storage

Post by Lsfan » 04 Sep 2022, 7:10 am

I've been thinking for a while about getting a bolt pouch/ bag for each of my rifles so I can remove and store, perhaps in a separate safe for added security.
When you look at bolt pouches, they are $20 and up which seems excessive to me.
I had an idea that I may buy small pencil cases from officeworks and use them instead. There seem to be a number of options available around the $5 or $6 mark for a similar thing, so maybe a good tip if anyone is considering the same.

Another thing which I think has been covered - how important (if at all) is it to de- cock the bolt when in storage? Some say no need and others say the spring could lose tension over time. My gut tells me it should be OK left in tension like anything automobile related. Suspension, valve springs etc.
Any thoughts?
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Bolt Storage

Post by Blr243 » 04 Sep 2022, 8:56 am

May not b the correct choice of words and I could be completely wrong but if you think about the molecular structure of steel and including spring steel , if you compress it from its original relaxed state for a brief period it’s goin to bounce back but if you compress it for 10 years there may be some changes goin on inside that steel with parts inside under pressure change ing position and shape so that when you release it from compression it don’t bounce back correctly/ fully Obviously ten years is an eggageration but it all adds up ... I carry a full mag walking in the bush because I need to be ready but there’s just no need for our spring steel to be under constant pressure when sitting in a safe.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Larry » 04 Sep 2022, 9:18 am

Like nearly every question it depends is the most correct answer. If you know how long something is going to be stored for prepare it accordingly, If its over a year uncock or remove the spring even in uncocked positions some action keep a lot of pressure on the spring. others dont.

If you do get any critters from your hunt the make the perfect material for a bolt bag. Tan the skin if its a rabbit or fox you can use a sewing machine on the leather to make items add a zip, button ect
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 04 Sep 2022, 9:48 am

Lsfan wrote:I've been thinking for a while about getting a bolt pouch/ bag for each of my rifles so I can remove and store, perhaps in a separate safe for added security.
I had an idea that I may buy small pencil cases from officeworks and use them instead. There seem to be a number of options available around the $5 or $6 mark for a similar thing, so maybe a good tip if anyone is considering the same.

Another thing which I think has been covered - how important (if at all) is it to de- cock the bolt when in storage? Some say no need and others say the spring could lose tension over time. My gut tells me it should be OK left in tension like anything automobile related. Suspension, valve springs etc.
Any thoughts?

If you disassemble the bolt, when you reassemble it you will find that you have to compress the springs during assembly anyway. Decocking the striker won't help the spring unless you actually disassemble it.

Springs wear from being cycled, not from simply holding a load. Decocking it unnecessarily is technically doing more damage than leaving it cocked. If you're concerned, order a spare spring and if it does fail in your lifetime you're already set for it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 Sep 2022, 10:41 am

I know a handful of people who have lost bolts and they all shared one common habit. :thumbsup:

As for spring wear, bladeracer nailed it.
The spring lives under constant preload, when cocked it compresses less than 10mm further.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 04 Sep 2022, 10:42 am

I have been using pencil cases for donkey's years :D :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Sep 2022, 11:36 am

on_one_wheel wrote:I know a handful of people who have lost bolts and they all shared one common habit. :thumbsup:

As for spring wear, bladeracer nailed it.
The spring lives under constant preload, when cocked it compresses less than 10mm further.

Yep, I leave the bolts in the firearms, and I try to leave a mag in them as well, it sucks to get up the paddock for a quick plink only to find I forgot to grab a magazine :-)

A mate uses trigger locks on his firearms, brought a rifle out to my place to do some shooting and forgot the key for the lock - a pain in the bum.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 04 Sep 2022, 6:07 pm

I have examined springs in a Metallurgical Lab that have been under compression for well over a century, automotive, firearm, mechanical and never have I seen any "deterioration" of spring tension or variation from relaxed length. Constant use will cause harm to a spring including fatigue and loss of length but compression will not. As for bolts, I store mine in plastic boxes, Fischer Plastics only which are Australian made and much better than the imported stuff, and I do this to make it easier to stuff more rifles in the safe.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lsfan » 04 Sep 2022, 8:11 pm

Thanks for all the opinions. They seem fairly consistent so I feel comfortable leaving the bolts either cocked or decocked.
I did go to officeworks and bought a couple of $10 padded cases. I've labelled them with a dymo so I can grab the right one when I want it. I'll just make it a habit to ensure when I grab a rifle, I'll open the other safe and grab a bolt. Hopefully I don't ever end up at the range without a bolt. That'll really p... me off.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Strangedog » 05 Sep 2022, 6:57 pm

The only time I take the bolts from my rifles other than cleaning is when I do a trip to QLD to try and abide by their stupid rules. You are setting yourself up for a hassle. One trip I got home and removed the bolt from the 'oily rag' I had it wrapped in to find rust on the bolt which is now forever pitted. The rag must not have been oily like I thought. That's my fault as I didn't pay attention to detail but it would never have happened if I didn't remove the bolt to store it somewhere else. My rifles are safe enough without having to disassemble them. Don't give the law makers any ideas to make our life even more difficult being a LAFO.
Strangedog
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 05 Sep 2022, 8:53 pm

Strangedog wrote:The only time I take the bolts from my rifles other than cleaning is when I do a trip to QLD to try and abide by their stupid rules. You are setting yourself up for a hassle. One trip I got home and removed the bolt from the 'oily rag' I had it wrapped in to find rust on the bolt which is now forever pitted. The rag must not have been oily like I thought. That's my fault as I didn't pay attention to detail but it would never have happened if I didn't remove the bolt to store it somewhere else. My rifles are safe enough without having to disassemble them. Don't give the law makers any ideas to make our life even more difficult being a LAFO.

I know I'm being overly cautious but it's just another backup measure I've put in place for safety.
I only do target shooting at a scheduled time and it's a simple check I can do before I go, that is to grab a rifle and a corresponding bolt, so hopefully I never end up there with a missing bolt.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by geoff » 06 Sep 2022, 11:31 am

How much more secure would the proposed separate safe for your bolts really be? Bearing in mind that commercially made gun safes/cabinets are really just on 18v grinder and 5 minutes away from having a giant ventilation hole in the side.

Security is good, it's important to be mindful of the potential for theft, but complication for the sake of complication doesn't actually make anything safer in practice.
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Lsfan » 06 Sep 2022, 9:20 pm

geoff wrote:How much more secure would the proposed separate safe for your bolts really be? Bearing in mind that commercially made gun safes/cabinets are really just on 18v grinder and 5 minutes away from having a giant ventilation hole in the side.

Security is good, it's important to be mindful of the potential for theft, but complication for the sake of complication doesn't actually make anything safer in practice.

Well the point is, whatever time it takes to break into a safe, times that by two to get an operable rifle. I assume a thief would go for the rifle safe and then eventually would find rifles without bolts. Would he/ she assume they are in another safe? Or would he/ she wonder if they are somewhere else? I'm in a dense residential area so I assume a thief would want to get in and out quickly.
I don't want my rifles to fall into the wrong hands, be that a thief or a curious child.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 07 Sep 2022, 1:36 am

Lsfan wrote:I've been thinking for a while about getting a bolt pouch/ bag for each of my rifles so I can remove and store, perhaps in a separate safe for added security.

Any thoughts?

G'day Lsfan the way I see it why would you introduce another way of foreign matter to the breach or chamber of a firearm when you don't have to the way I see it there are only two places for the bolt of a firearm one is in the firearm the second one is on the bench while you are cleaning it this is why I'm very surprised in places like Queensland I think it is we're storage of the bolt has to be removed. humans are humans we make mistakes it is a safety issue it wasn't all that long ago when somebody came on this forum and asked why they're 223 would not extract a case turns out the gentleman owned 2 howas and yes he had put the 243 bolt in his 223 so of course it would not extract the case .
oh ok I was going to say need I say more but I thought it might sound a little bit condescending
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 07 Sep 2022, 7:57 am

The biggest pain in the butt firearms issue I've experienced ( besides firearms branch stuff ups ) was caused because my late mate decided to put his bolt in the ammo box in his car,put the rifle in the safe in his house,car was stolen,6 years and $300 later I managed to get a bolt for it and now can shoot it.
I NEVER remove the bolt.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Boundry Rider » 07 Sep 2022, 8:32 am

Is QLD the only state with the bolt removal requirement? Is removal required for storage and transport?
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lsfan » 07 Sep 2022, 10:09 pm

Yes OK some good examples of why you should leave your bolts in the rifle. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MontyShooter » 08 Sep 2022, 4:50 am

Best way to lose the bolt is to remove it.
I take mine out for cleaning only.
Closed and dry fired in the safe.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by perentie » 08 Sep 2022, 6:52 am

I have only two rifles with removable bolts. The rest are Low walls, Rolling Blocks or Break actions.This bolt removal thing is ridiculous.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment