good torch for 270 win night shooting

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

good torch for 270 win night shooting

Post by bradley33 » 11 Oct 2022, 9:15 pm

hi fellas, new here. Wondered if could get some advice on night shooting torches. Looking for a good torch for a tikka t3 for both checking fenclines and shooting. Fencline checks to about 500m, shooting maybe 300m. Scope is a basic leupold 4-12x 40 freedom.

Torch will need to fit in 1" ring mounts and have the remote tail cap switch.

I know there a lot out there, olights etc, I see some of these torches with 500, 800, 1.2km range but wonder how that works real life. Also being I dont need 1000m I'd rather a little more light spilling onto game under 500m. A lot of numbers to crunch, again if someone has a setup capable of what I am after it would be a good start for me to investigate.
bradley33
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Re: good torch for 270 win night shooting

Post by animalpest » 13 Oct 2022, 7:51 pm

Don't believe the manufacturers hype about distances. Only 1 lux at the claimed range is enough.

Being able to see - and I mean clearly see what it is - at 500m with a rifle mounted torch is dreaming. Plenty of hand held spotlights struggle.

Are you able to shoot well at 300m at night?
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 13 Oct 2022, 8:07 pm

I use a 270 at night with 90 grain speers The set up is as flat shooting as anything. But there’s no way I’m up to shooting at 300 anytime of day .. the intensity of a tight pencil beam from an LEP Torchis what I’d be looking at if I wasn’t already useing a thermal scope
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 13 Oct 2022, 8:09 pm

Beware of online sellers stating LEP technology.....genuine wolf eyes or lite shop type sellers will hit you hard in the pocket but can be trusted to supply genuine LEP products
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 13 Oct 2022, 8:10 pm

I use a 270 at night with 90 grain speers The set up is as flat shooting as anything. But there’s no way I’m up to shooting at 300 anytime of day .. the intensity of a tight pencil beam from an LEP Torchis what I’d be looking at if I wasn’t already useing a thermal scope
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 14 Oct 2022, 11:20 am

I've got a Streamlight Super Tac that I swap out the pill depending on whether I want white or IR, it's a great light and Streamlight after sales service is excellent.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bradley33 » 16 Oct 2022, 3:38 pm

The yanks reckon this one is worth a look for 500 yards+. Imalent UT90, 4800 lumens, 428,000 CD, 1308m( claimed), its in the class of some marine search lights. 1" body, scope mountable, tail switch. There are a few other super lights in this class.

Might see if I can get a look at an LEP light in real life too, thanks BLR. :thumbsup: They go to a couple km being lazer powered. How they look in reality would be interesting.
bradley33
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Blr243 » 16 Oct 2022, 6:01 pm

Super tight pencil beam. You want to ensure your torch mount isincedibly well aligned ... I would like to see someone making adjustable torch mounts so we can perfectly align our beam centre with our reticle .. maybe they already exist. Shimming is never fun
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 16 Oct 2022, 6:33 pm

Blr243 wrote:Super tight pencil beam. You want to ensure your torch mount isincedibly well aligned ... I would like to see someone making adjustable torch mounts so we can perfectly align our beam centre with our reticle .. maybe they already exist. Shimming is never fun

I've got one of these, they work well but are a little bulkier than rigid type

image_png679173127_1296x.png
image_png679173127_1296x.png (120.65 KiB) Viewed 2778 times

https://foxdog.com.au/products/low-prof ... orch-mount
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by MtnMan » 17 Oct 2022, 5:45 am

get yourself a Z visions torch to go with it. I have the JP 303. love it
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bradley33 » 17 Oct 2022, 12:24 pm

Nice fellas. Saw a review too from a fella on youtube called Hunter Stu with 200k subscribers doing night hunting that the Olight Javelot 2 with 2500 lumens and 200,000+CD that 500 yards is well within the capabilities of game spotting.
bradley33
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Lazarus » 17 Oct 2022, 12:39 pm

bradley33 wrote:Nice fellas. Saw a review too from a fella on youtube called Hunter Stu with 200k subscribers doing night hunting that the Olight Javelot 2 with 2500 lumens and 200,000+CD that 500 yards is well within the capabilities of game spotting.

One thing to consider Bradley, the longer the distance between you and your potential victim, the harder they become to identify with absolute certainty.

This is purely personal choice, but in daylight I'll push my average skills to take rabbits to 400m, but in the dark, with IR night vision scope, I limit that to 200m.
Finding a wounded critter that may have stuggled their way some distance from impact point in the dark is not always easy.

I'm not trying to pour cold water on you, just offering something to consider :drinks:
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 17 Oct 2022, 6:09 pm

Lazarus. Is that mound adjustable for win and ele ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 17 Oct 2022, 6:19 pm

Blr243 wrote:Lazarus. Is that mound adjustable for win and ele ?

Yes mate, it is.
The rear wheel is elevation, the front windage
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 17 Oct 2022, 7:30 pm

Thank you.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bradley33 » 18 Oct 2022, 4:33 am

Lazarus wrote:
bradley33 wrote:Nice fellas. Saw a review too from a fella on youtube called Hunter Stu with 200k subscribers doing night hunting that the Olight Javelot 2 with 2500 lumens and 200,000+CD that 500 yards is well within the capabilities of game spotting.

One thing to consider Bradley, the longer the distance between you and your potential victim, the harder they become to identify with absolute certainty.

This is purely personal choice, but in daylight I'll push my average skills to take rabbits to 400m, but in the dark, with IR night vision scope, I limit that to 200m.
Finding a wounded critter that may have stuggled their way some distance from impact point in the dark is not always easy.

I'm not trying to pour cold water on you, just offering something to consider :drinks:

No thanks for the input, the animals in question are stock versus smaller mammals so bit bigger and easier to ID than rabbits, but point well taken. I will probably get the Javelot Pro2 mentioned at this stage. Wherever it gets me to will be the limit for spotting, will figure out maximum shooting after that
bradley33
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Lazarus » 18 Oct 2022, 5:52 am

bradley33 wrote:
Lazarus wrote:

No thanks for the input, the animals in question are stock versus smaller mammals so bit bigger and easier to ID than rabbits, but point well taken. I will probably get the Javelot Pro2 mentioned at this stage. Wherever it gets me to will be the limit for spotting, will figure out maximum shooting after that

Good choice, Javelot are hard to beat :drinks:
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 18 Oct 2022, 6:45 am

Some silly bright, silly big torches.