DIY rifle rack

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

DIY rifle rack

Post by SHV » 05 Nov 2022, 12:16 pm

Got some cut off from garden project
Instead throw them away I made a rifle display rack for 4 scoped rifle or 5 non scope rifle..
6232A10B-8C19-4C86-B17A-E74CB61B9DA9.jpeg
6232A10B-8C19-4C86-B17A-E74CB61B9DA9.jpeg (259.78 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Re: DIY rifle rack

Post by JohnV » 05 Nov 2022, 2:10 pm

It's a cute idea but unless it's under your constant supervision or in a locked approved safe or cabinet it's illegal to have a display rack without the guns being locked to it and it's got to be inspected . I have a $3000 glass fronted rifle display cabinet I can't use anymore because they won't pass it and I'm not butchering it up with more ugly locks . It's now full of my wife's nick knacks . I would call it a cleaning rack and have some cleaning gear under it all the time . That way you can say I am about to clean them .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Nov 2022, 5:39 pm

JohnV wrote:It's a cute idea but unless it's under your constant supervision or in a locked approved safe or cabinet it's illegal to have a display rack without the guns being locked to it and it's got to be inspected . I have a $3000 glass fronted rifle display cabinet I can't use anymore because they won't pass it and I'm not butchering it up with more ugly locks . It's now full of my wife's nick knacks . I would call it a cleaning rack and have some cleaning gear under it all the time . That way you can say I am about to clean them .

So, every time he'd want to go pick up the mail or go shopping he'd have to remember to remove and lock em up ? No thanks, :lol:

But your $3,000 cabinet would be perfect for all your spare scopes etc that don't HAVE to be locked away.
Be buggered giving it to the missus. :thumbsdown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Nov 2022, 6:58 pm

Making good use of what many would consider junk :thumbsup:

I love the old Winchester wall mounted 3 gun racks, they're a little thin on the ground now.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Nov 2022, 7:37 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Making good use of what many would consider junk :thumbsup:

I love the old Winchester wall mounted 3 gun racks, they're a little thin on the ground now.

Agreed, in that sense, but unfortunately those days are gone.

I distinctly remember being invited into a large property owners house in the mountains near Canberra.
I'd only recently met the guy and he'd invited me to go pig shooting with him on his property.
I had turned up (back then) with the only center fire I had,, an old sporterised .303,,,,, and he looked at me sadly and shook his head.
He just said, "We'll get you something a bit better than that"

Upon walking into his lounge room I was confronted with a long open wall rack, with approximately 40 firearms all standing at attention, and with boxes of ammo for all of them just sitting on a shelf above.
Many different calibers,,,, and including 12g pump action shotties and semi auto stuff mostly in 30 cal.
This was all only a few years before the Pt Arthur tragedy.

Believe it or not,,,,,,,,, he was a retiree from the Police Force, and his son was also in the force at the time.

Needless to say we all had a bloody good weekend.
Aahhhhhhh, those were the days.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by SHV » 05 Nov 2022, 8:56 pm

JohnV wrote:It's a cute idea but unless it's under your constant supervision or in a locked approved safe or cabinet it's illegal to have a display rack without the guns being locked to it and it's got to be inspected . I have a $3000 glass fronted rifle display cabinet I can't use anymore because they won't pass it and I'm not butchering it up with more ugly locks . It's now full of my wife's nick knacks . I would call it a cleaning rack and have some cleaning gear under it all the time . That way you can say I am about to clean them .

You are totally right, the rack is for taking photos only, won’t leave firearms on it other than that, couldn’t find a good way to take photo for few rifles together before so I reckon put them on the rack will be a good idea
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 05 Nov 2022, 10:10 pm

I knew a guy a bee keeper out Dubbo way that had a couple of hundred firearms along every wall in his house and that was well after the new oppressive gun laws.
His mother died and he moved away some place , I think he got married and I lost touch with him . I have not bothered to track him down because if people don't inform you when they move they obviously don't want you to know . Shame because I thought we got along famously with our common interest in guns and we went hunting together and had great times . Maybe it's me I can be a know all at times but I am a staunch honest friend .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment