Looking for input re security

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Looking for input re security

Post by Sockeye » 24 Nov 2022, 11:01 pm

Any input how to reinforce the giant glass wall of the workshop?

As a basic measure, a translucent film would be easy enough beginning.

Any additional physical barrier that comes to mind?

Sockeye
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Looking for input re security

Post by No1Mk3 » 25 Nov 2022, 1:30 am

Steel mesh, still see through and still lets light in. A roller shutter would be better but dearer. Security door can be placed where needed.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 25 Nov 2022, 6:14 am

Visible cameras a nasty dog and an audible alarm that's loud enough to cause physical pain
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 25 Nov 2022, 7:44 am

Bricks
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Sockeye » 25 Nov 2022, 8:54 am

Building a wall is an option, but messy and expensive.

I am thinking of translucent film on the panels and security system as a bare minimum.

Shutters or crimsafe screens are a second line possibility.
Sockeye
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 25 Nov 2022, 10:15 am

Sockeye wrote:Building a wall is an option, but messy and expensive.

I am thinking of translucent film on the panels and security system as a bare minimum.

Shutters or crimsafe screens are a second line possibility.

Sorry Sockeye, I was being needlessly facetious, a crimsafe setup would probably be the go.
Still have a reasonable amount of light but less likelihood of some clown throwing a brick through that expensive plate.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Nov 2022, 10:41 am

Heavy Reo mesh panels that can be bolted to the floor (? concrete floor) and ceiling behind the glass.
These can easily be removed (yourself) if and when necessary.
If you put in a security system make sure the camera/s are clearly visible on the inside of the mesh panels pointing towards the glass, as yet another deterrent.
:D
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Sockeye » 25 Nov 2022, 1:31 pm

Well. The workshop is attached to the stand alone garage. The structures are deep inside the backyard and not very accessible/ visible by strangers.

Visual security is one of the primary issues here as any bad guy would be able to look through the glass and see a big ass safe inside the workshop.
Sockeye
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 25 Nov 2022, 1:48 pm

In that case, I'd definitely go to the embuggerance of brickwork.

I have my safes hidden away so that you have to know where they are to find them and that's inside the house as well.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Nov 2022, 4:42 pm

In general,, a lock will only keep an honest man out.
So long as you realize that,,,, the next question you have to ask yourself is,,,,, how long is a piece of string ?
Obviously having such an expanse of glass is a major problem.
If I were in your shoes I'd go all out,, with everything possible to record, prevent, and hide.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 25 Nov 2022, 5:55 pm

A simple sign. One that has a picture of a gimp mask, hand cuffs, a whip, branding iron and (in small font at the bottom) text that says, “Trespass equals your consent!”.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 30 Nov 2022, 8:06 am

If u use stick on security film that makes it harder to smash and harder to see inside , remember to think up possibby some improvements / additions eg extra heavy duty hasp and staple with good padlocks to the lock And hinge points .. you may have to think hard and improvise here. A three foot pinch bar with a long slender point angled at the correct angle will put tremendous force on any system and theieves will be inside in a flash
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 30 Nov 2022, 8:12 am

And regarding a nasty dog as a detrrrant . I agree some will run from a dog in a heartbeat but some real awfull burglars will just kill dogs in seconds.... i would hate to come home to find my dog deaad. I would much rather come home to find my stuff stolen and my dog Still alive , knowing that he probably just licked them ... unfortunately there are some really awful thieves about
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Mattraff » 11 Dec 2022, 10:28 am

How about hiding the safe behind a false cupboard so it just looks like storage.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Dec 2022, 7:29 am

Mattraff wrote:How about hiding the safe behind a false cupboard so it just looks like storage.

Yep.
Or can roller shutters be installed?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rossfrb » 29 Dec 2022, 7:24 pm

On a slightly different note, if you are considering any form of video surveillance be aware that there are a bunch of laws at federal, state. business/residential levels you may need to comply with.
https://www.oaic.gov.au/privacy/your-pr ... ty-cameras and because you appear to be in Queensland,
https://www.qld.gov.au/community/caring ... positioned.
You may in all innocence and with the best intentions install CCTV and end up in deep dooodoo if you ever record anything that you then take to the police.
Our IT department was having hardware nicked outside of business hours - a staff member setup a movement activated camera in the office which recorded a Security guard stealing stuff late at night. When our boss took the footage higher up the chain, it all hit the fan because there were no signs warning the thief that there was video recording them stealing stuff...
Boss got a big wrap over the knuckles, the security guard in question was quietly "let go" with the threat of a less than stellar reference if they complained.
rossfrb
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment