Buying Parts etc from Overseas.

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Buying Parts etc from Overseas.

Post by Screw » 25 Jan 2023, 11:57 am

Hi.
Even though I notice that this has been discussed before in this forum, it has been a while, so I thought that I'd ask this question again, just in case there may have been any changes.

My question is: are there any appropriate avenues for purchasing parts or items from the USA or elsewhere overseas that isn't ridiculously expensive, time consuming, and complicated, for items that are not listed as prohibited imports.

For example, I have an interest in Ruger No.1's and would like to try fitting a replacement safety from Legendary Action Works, as well as an aperture sight from NECG, but any of my investigations or enquiries have been unsuccessful. I have checked with local Tasmanian Police who have been extremely helpful, and they have no issue at all with my purchasing these items, or many other items including scopes for that matter.

It seems that unless the item is already listed with a local sales outlet then they are not interested, and due to the export restrictions on items from the USA even benign items like screws for rings will not be considered.

Does anyone have a similar issue and if so, has anyone resolved it?

Thank you.
Screw
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Buying Parts etc from Overseas.

Post by retorts » 02 Feb 2023, 7:00 pm

I just joined this sight about a month ago... retired American military... deer hunter... been on eBay for 20+ years... traded many items like Glock and Winchester patches, key chains and other similar items... Jack Daniels coasters... Mainly small items... Did my first post yesterday on the "introduce yourself" thread, still waiting on it to be approved... Not sure what the laws are as far as you receiving parts but if legal would be willing to help... I saw the safety you were talking about on Action Works... I don't see an issue with mailing from my end, it would depend on whether you could get it at your end... As far as the NECG sight, do you have a link? I'm more than willing to help if this is something I can do...
retorts
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by S O K A R » 03 Feb 2023, 5:31 pm

Screw wrote:Hi.
Even though I notice that this has been discussed before in this forum, it has been a while, so I thought that I'd ask this question again, just in case there may have been any changes.

My question is: are there any appropriate avenues for purchasing parts or items from the USA or elsewhere overseas that isn't ridiculously expensive, time consuming, and complicated, for items that are not listed as prohibited imports.

For example, I have an interest in Ruger No.1's and would like to try fitting a replacement safety from Legendary Action Works, as well as an aperture sight from NECG, but any of my investigations or enquiries have been unsuccessful. I have checked with local Tasmanian Police who have been extremely helpful, and they have no issue at all with my purchasing these items, or many other items including scopes for that matter.

It seems that unless the item is already listed with a local sales outlet then they are not interested, and due to the export restrictions on items from the USA even benign items like screws for rings will not be considered.

Thank you.

There are no issues importing something as long as it fits into the current legislation and if it is a firearm part fits into the same category you have on your license.
I imported a muzzle break from the states a few months back without any legal issues, just need to complete the proper paperwork to get it past customs and satisfy firearms services.
I'd suggest getting it sent to a local dealer though as opposed to a personal address which I have heard some try to do, causes some issues depending on what the item is.

So really you have two option:

1) Import it yourself and lodge the paperwork yourself/jump through the hoops you need to

2) Speak to a willing dealer and get them to import it for you, they will handle the whole process (including the paperwork) and will charge you a fee

Hope that helps
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 03 Feb 2023, 6:19 pm

Screw wrote:Hi.

Thank you.

The safety would be considered a "firearm part" so requires a B709 import permit, and finding somebody in the US willing to send it.
If possible see if Brownells can do it as they have an Aussie branch which already has import permissions in place.
The sight should be fine.
Ring screws are fine.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment