Shopping list for trip to USA

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Shopping list for trip to USA

Post by RunRabbit » 23 Mar 2023, 10:26 am

I'm heading over to the US in a few months and was wondering what would you put on the shopping list if you were heading over there?
I'll definitely be looking for some good hunting clothes, maybe a backpack and some slings.

What would you be buying and any particular stores that are better than others? Heading to Vancouver, Anchorage and Portland.
RunRabbit
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Shopping list for trip to USA

Post by CRF » 23 Mar 2023, 10:48 am

You can save a few hundred dollars on a good pack such as Stone Glacier and Mystery Ranch over there so that's worth while.

I'll refrain from making comments on camo and popular hunting branded clothing but suffice it to say I can think of better value things to spend money.

I will be going to the states in the next couple of years to cash in my points for elk, mule deer and pronghorn. I plan on maybe buying a pack and a pair of boots, not much else. If I was on the east coast I'd definitely be buying a few ML related things we can't get in Aus but I'm planning on heading out west.
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by MtnMan » 23 Mar 2023, 1:48 pm

Grab me 10000 each of small and large rifle primers. Cheers
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 23 Mar 2023, 4:56 pm

Primers. Ar15
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Baronvonrort » 23 Mar 2023, 6:30 pm

I go there every couple of years have relatives there.

I buy clothes and shoes you can pick up Levis and Tommy Hilfiger jeans for $25-30. I paid $60 for Nikes. Socks and Jocks are cheaper too picked up 6pr Under Armour socks for $9.99.

I buy LL Bean Shirts and shorts as well.

Tactical 5.11 and Carharrt have good shorts and pants

TJ Maxx and Marshalls are cheap for brand names.

A bottle of Bourbon around $20 Makers Mark is considered good.

Everything is cheaper in the US still cheaper with our weak dollar.

Bag was 7kg going over last trip right on 22kg max when returning.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by animalpest » 23 Mar 2023, 8:00 pm

Last trip I returned with two suitcases weighing 32 kg each. Lots of cheap stuff including saving $1000 on just one scope.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Mar 2023, 9:00 pm

A BIG bunch of US silver dollar coins, cheapest ones you can find, preferably s**ty years and grades at spot price. EBay those suckers when you get home and make a bunch of money. :thumbsup:
Screenshot_20230323-212507_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20230323-212507_DuckDuckGo.jpg (322.49 KiB) Viewed 1678 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RunRabbit » 24 Mar 2023, 9:57 am

I was under the impression that firearm components are not legal for me to just bring back with me in my bag. Scopes, magazines, etc?
I assume primers is a pipe dream? I can't see an airline being happy with me lugging a bag of primers onboard.
RunRabbit
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 24 Mar 2023, 10:06 am

5.11 now has their own chain of retail stores.

Personally I don't like their clothes anymore but still like their bags. These days I have switched to Duluth Trading(who also has a chain of retail stores). I really like Duluth Tradings Fire Hose pants over the 5.11 pants now.

Of course if you want a lot of outdoor stuff under one big roof, Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops are the big boys. REI is also a mega sized big box store deal but their outdoor focus is on camping and hiking rather than hunting and fishing like Cabelas and Bass Pro.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Jackaroo » 24 Mar 2023, 10:42 am

RunRabbit wrote:I'm heading over to the US in a few months and was wondering what would you put on the shopping list if you were heading over there?

A Green Card and immigrate.
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RunRabbit » 24 Mar 2023, 10:55 am

Jackaroo wrote:
RunRabbit wrote:I'm heading over to the US in a few months and was wondering what would you put on the shopping list if you were heading over there?

A Green Card and immigrate.

I actually could migrate to the US without much paperwork but I do love it here in Oz too much.
RunRabbit
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by RunRabbit » 24 Mar 2023, 10:58 am

wanneroo wrote:5.11 now has their own chain of retail stores.

Personally I don't like their clothes anymore but still like their bags. These days I have switched to Duluth Trading(who also has a chain of retail stores). I really like Duluth Tradings Fire Hose pants over the 5.11 pants now.

Of course if you want a lot of outdoor stuff under one big roof, Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops are the big boys. REI is also a mega sized big box store deal but their outdoor focus is on camping and hiking rather than hunting and fishing like Cabelas and Bass Pro.

There are so many brands to check out. It's so hard to know where to start! I'll definitely go into Cabelas and Bass Pro along with Sportsmans Warehouse but I actually don't mind spending the money for really good gear. The only reason I don't buy it online is because I want to try it on first.
RunRabbit
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Baronvonrort » 24 Mar 2023, 12:27 pm

RunRabbit wrote:I was under the impression that firearm components are not legal for me to just bring back with me in my bag. Scopes, magazines, etc?
I assume primers is a pipe dream? I can't see an airline being happy with me lugging a bag of primers onboard.

You need B709 to bring back firearm parts

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/sites/default/files/2018-07/B709%20Import%20Permit.pdf
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 24 Mar 2023, 12:59 pm

RunRabbit wrote:I was under the impression that firearm components are not legal for me to just bring back with me in my bag. Scopes, magazines, etc?

Most are legal but some will require import permits - magazines definitely.
A small quantity of live ammo would likely be okay, primers do seem unlikely.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment