Restoring WW2 bayonet

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Restoring WW2 bayonet

Post by Lorgar » 27 Apr 2023, 1:56 pm

Hey folks,

I'm debating restoring my grandfather's WWII bayonet.

ww2-bayonet-1.jpg
ww2-bayonet-1.jpg (54.52 KiB) Viewed 2289 times

ww2-bayonet-2.jpg
ww2-bayonet-2.jpg (79.65 KiB) Viewed 2289 times

ww2-bayonet-3.jpg
ww2-bayonet-3.jpg (52.82 KiB) Viewed 2289 times

The blade is in pretty good shape. Virtually all surface rust, no pitting on the fingernail scrape test.

There's a bit more texture to the metal of the hilt. A bit of dimpling around the outside of the crossguard.

On the scabbard, about 40% of the paint is missing, and covered with surface rust where the metal is exposed.

Restoring the scabbard I guess is simple enough. A soak in a paint solvent, a scrub with fine steel wool, and a layer of paint.

Ditto for the blade, a scour with a rust solvent.

The hilt I'm not so sure about. There are nooks and crannies in it where the bayonet mounts, and also just beneath the cross guard. The screws through the timber.

Too complicated for a manual scrub without missing corners or damaging the wood further. Is there something suitable to soak it in to bring back the steel in the hilt without affecting the wood?

I'm no expert in such things. Interested to hear what people would suggest on methods of restoration for the various parts if I were to go ahead.

Cheers.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Restoring WW2 bayonet

Post by Noisydad » 27 Apr 2023, 2:36 pm

Evaporust rust is your friend. That stuff is amazing though dear - but it works! I de rusted an 1855 Lorenz muzzle loader (ex US civil war) with it and found a shootable antique under the rust.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 27 Apr 2023, 2:39 pm

It's a nice piece with great sentimental value . I would restore anything that will deteriorate the bayonet . Like the rust on the scabbard etc and the blade . The rest I would leave as is . I have the wallet my father carried in his pocket when he was wounded by mortar shell frag at Dunkirk WW2 and it's all stained with his blood .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by No1Mk3 » 27 Apr 2023, 6:19 pm

Restoration will destroy the value of the bayonet, not that Spanish Standard Modells have a high intrinsic value but being your Grand-Fathers the sentimental value is beyond money. You want to preserve the bayonet for the future, as Noisydad said evaporust is good, but water is just as good and cheaper. Remove the grip panels (unscrew carefully, and tap the pommel with a hammer handle or piece of hardwood until the panels loosen, do NOT try to pry them off), then boil the bayonet and scabbard in water for about half an hour to convert the rust to black oxide then carefully card off with 0000 grade wire wool, or preferably brass wool, and fine oil (3 in 1 will do) then wipe off the panels with Renaissance wax and re-assemble. This method will stop active rust without ruining the original finish and preserve the item for future generations (hopefully of your own Family) to enjoy.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 27 Apr 2023, 6:34 pm

Sorry, missed a step. After carding, soak bayonet in kero or WD40 for a couple of hours to remove any water from the release button etc.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 27 Apr 2023, 7:03 pm

:thumbsup:
Screenshot_20230427-183222_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20230427-183222_DuckDuckGo.jpg (208.83 KiB) Viewed 2246 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 27 Apr 2023, 8:29 pm

Noisydad wrote:Evaporust rust is your friend. That stuff is amazing though dear - but it works!

Better than cheap and useless. That ain't cheap ;)

Will check it out.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 27 Apr 2023, 8:34 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Restoration will destroy the value of the bayonet, not that Spanish Standard Modells have a high intrinsic value but being your Grand-Fathers the sentimental value is beyond money. You want to preserve the bayonet for the future...

Not worried about the monetary value. I will never sell it.

I've really been on the fence about doing anything for a long time.

I guess the scabbard is the easiest example. Paint is paint, after all.

It could be in immaculate condition from the original or a fresh layer. Even though a fresh layer isn't 'authentic' if there's no perceivable difference, is it worse? Better?

Not so simple a job with the timber, obviously.

Anyway, something to ponder. Maybe just a dip in evapo-rust and leave it at that. Hmm.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Apr 2023, 9:28 pm

I think the historical value, and perhaps your own personal history of it is what is devalued by trying to renew it. I would just halt the rust, then treasure it for what it is.

Lorgar wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:Restoration will destroy the value of the bayonet, not that Spanish Standard Modells have a high intrinsic value but being your Grand-Fathers the sentimental value is beyond money. You want to preserve the bayonet for the future...

Not worried about the monetary value. I will never sell it.

I've really been on the fence about doing anything for a long time.

I guess the scabbard is the easiest example. Paint is paint, after all.

It could be in immaculate condition from the original or a fresh layer. Even though a fresh layer isn't 'authentic' if there's no perceivable difference, is it worse? Better?

Not so simple a job with the timber, obviously.

Anyway, something to ponder. Maybe just a dip in evapo-rust and leave it at that. Hmm.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 28 Apr 2023, 9:24 am

I am not familiar with evapo-rust but I suspect it is a water based chelating agent with similar properties to a 1:9 mixture of molasses and water.
Chelation, unfortunately in this instance, will remove every last skerrik of iron oxide from from the underlying steel.
A better way might be to immerse only the steel parts in a 10% to 20% solution of phosphoric acid dissolved in distilled water.
It will turn the rust back into iron and some of it will remain in the pitts and crevices in the steel.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 28 Apr 2023, 11:21 am

A mate of mine restores old cannons. Pretty sure he uses molases for treating rust i think
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment