Suppressor

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Suppressor

Post by Shootermick » 11 Jun 2023, 12:25 pm

Has anyone successfully applied for a suppressor?
I’ve read up about it on the VicPol website, and it says each application will be viewed on its own merits.
Can primary producers be considered? Contract shooter’s definitely can, if you’re doing it as a source of income. But I’m in the primary producer category.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Suppressor

Post by womble » 11 Jun 2023, 12:52 pm

Not unless you consider becoming a vet
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jun 2023, 1:18 pm

Shootermick wrote:Has anyone successfully applied for a suppressor?
I’ve read up about it on the VicPol website, and it says each application will be viewed on its own merits.
Can primary producers be considered? Contract shooter’s definitely can, if you’re doing it as a source of income. But I’m in the primary producer category.

Nope, never applied, haven't heard of anybody in Vic that has one.
I would've used one last month shooting cattle with the .44Mag if it had been available, otherwise I've yet to encounter a situation where I'd want one.
I guess it wouldn't hurt to put together a good thesis on why you feel it would be advantageous and explaining why you can't use unsuppressed firearms to achieve the outcome.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 11 Jun 2023, 1:19 pm

As a primary producer it all depends on how close your neighbours are I know of one person in Country Victoria who got 1 because he was surrounded by 5 acre blocks
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jun 2023, 11:47 am

deye243 wrote:As a primary producer it all depends on how close your neighbours are I know of one person in Country Victoria who got 1 because he was surrounded by 5 acre blocks

His application was based around reducing noise for his neighbours, and it was approved on that basis?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 12 Jun 2023, 12:01 pm

Its a wonder with all the health and safety s**t these days you can have one on that basis....to protect yours and others hearing
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by northdude » 12 Jun 2023, 12:03 pm

I used to be a bit wtf do you need one of those for when I first got here from oz. After using them for a while they are pretty good.
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by deye243 » 12 Jun 2023, 1:44 pm

bladeracer wrote:
deye243 wrote:As a primary producer it all depends on how close your neighbours are I know of one person in Country Victoria who got 1 because he was surrounded by 5 acre blocks

His application was based around reducing noise for his neighbours, and it was approved on that basis?

Yes and a winery because of hares ring barking vines and again Close neighbours must admit this was a while ago whether or not you can still do it I don't know
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 12 Jun 2023, 1:56 pm

Start seeding those grapes Mick
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 12 Jun 2023, 2:00 pm

northdude wrote:Its a wonder with all the health and safety s**t these days you can have one on that basis....to protect yours and others hearing

Go here https://ro.ecu.edu.au/ecuworks2011/858/ download the document and read all about them.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by perentie » 12 Jun 2023, 4:57 pm

Have to be a Kiwi. Apparently no problem over there.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 12 Jun 2023, 6:59 pm

Many yrs ago on our small farm i saw a bloke shot a pig in a sty. 3030 was all we had. Butchered it no probs. Next day when we called the other pig out of its pen it did not come. Turns out it was too close and it went deaf from the blast . Perhaps this angle could help support an application. Buggered if i know
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 12 Jun 2023, 7:52 pm

Best of luck with that one. Im deaf in large portions of my hearing shootings probably going to take the next portion and im only 36. Australia is one of those countries that generally doesn't care. Plus they dont want anymore assassins running around.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by womble » 13 Jun 2023, 4:05 am

In Victoria it’s not the government stopping us. We have tried and all were in agreement they are a sensible thing to use.
All bar one group, being the farmers.
And they had a good reason. They get people poaching deer on private properties at night. It’s a big problem for them.
So really its just some irresponsible lafos letting the team down.
Teamwork makes the dream work guys. Don’t be a dick.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 13 Jun 2023, 4:12 am

Shootermick we are going to need to see your 10/22 project when it’s finished and looking forward to it.
You can also get double tap or binary triggers for them . If you really want to melt some brains at LRD with an email
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j1EGNlKwmXk&pp=ygUYMTAvMjIgZG91YmxlIHRhcCB0cmlnZ2Vy
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 13 Jun 2023, 9:08 am

No1_49er wrote:
northdude wrote:Its a wonder with all the health and safety s**t these days you can have one on that basis....to protect yours and others hearing

Go here https://ro.ecu.edu.au/ecuworks2011/858/ download the document and read all about them.

Unfortunately No1, the biggest hurdle with getting anything previously banned made legal again is political ego.

For politicians to agree that the reports findings should be acted upon would require them to admit that their previous support of the ban was in error.

Then there's always the Hollwood problem.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Jun 2023, 10:01 am

womble wrote:In Victoria it’s not the government stopping us. We have tried and all were in agreement they are a sensible thing to use.
And they had a good reason. They get people poaching deer on private properties at night. It’s a big problem for them.
So really its just some irresponsible arseholes letting the team down.

Just a small correction.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jun 2023, 2:13 pm

womble wrote:In Victoria it’s not the government stopping us. We have tried and all were in agreement they are a sensible thing to use.
So really its just some irresponsible lafos letting the team down.

So people _were_ actually using suppressors for poaching or did farmers just perceive that it might be an issue? I don't recall any time in our history when suppressors were in common use, even when they were entirely unrestricted. I bought one in 1983 for $20 over the counter in Adelaide, so not outrageously expensive. But I have never met anybody else that has ever told me they had owned a suppressor (lawfully), included self-admitting poachers (I do know of some professionals that own and use suppressors but don't know them personally).

If it comes down to people _illegally_ shooting on private property with _illegal_ suppressors I can't see any way that is a legitimate concern against lawful ownership of them.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 13 Jun 2023, 4:01 pm

No not using suppressors.
But farmers don’t want hunters to have them.
There was an attempt to have them legislated in vic fairly recently and farmers said no.
High country vic you have some real Wallys . Drive around at night with no lights using night vision etc. cutting fences. Shooting too close to residents homes on private lots. Shooting from the road. Suppressors would aid them in clandestine deer hunting.
They’re desperate for more shooters to control dogs up there though if you have a thermal. But unknowns hunting deer are not popular.
Suppressors are easy to get but in VIC they will throw the book at you. Not worth it.

womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 13 Jun 2023, 5:41 pm

womble wrote:Shootermick we are going to need to see your 10/22 project when it’s finished and looking forward to it.
You can also get double tap or binary triggers for them . If you really want to melt some brains at LRD with an email
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j1EGNlKwmXk&pp=ygUYMTAvMjIgZG91YmxlIHRhcCB0cmlnZ2Vy

Pretty slow project at the moment Womble. All it is currently is the standard rifle with an aftermarket pic rail, Vixen scope in a Magpul stock. I did order a Kidd Utra lightweight barrel today though, and the auto bolt release, but it’s apparently 8 weeks away. Might grab a trigger at some stage. Can they be mailed directly, or do they have to be delivered to a gun shop like a barrel does?
IMG_2754.jpeg
IMG_2754.jpeg (39.74 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jun 2023, 6:04 pm

womble wrote:No not using suppressors.
But farmers don’t want hunters to have them.
There was an attempt to have them legislated in vic fairly recently and farmers said no.
High country vic you have some real Wallys . Drive around at night with no lights using night vision etc. cutting fences. Shooting too close to residents homes on private lots. Shooting from the road. Suppressors would aid them in clandestine deer hunting.
They’re desperate for more shooters to control dogs up there though if you have a thermal. But unknowns hunting deer are not popular.
Suppressors are easy to get but in VIC they will throw the book at you. Not worth it.

The poachers I've spoken with probably wouldn't have any interest in suppressors. They'll take a shot from their vehicle on the road, then leave. They'll come back a few hours later when any hubbub has died down and take what they want then. One guy told me he shot a deer this way (on private property with .30-06), when he came back to get it hours later it was still sitting there, mortally wounded but still ready to put up a fight. He had to go back home to get his rifle to finish it off, then he left it there anyway. This was 15km from my place.

I think somebody got into the ear of farmers based on Hollywood rubbish and convinced them this could be an issue because of his own baseless bias.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 13 Jun 2023, 6:39 pm

Probably. They suppress noise for the shooter but not as much as people expect.
Still going to clearly hear a 30-06 on your property
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 13 Jun 2023, 6:40 pm

Nicely done Mick :thumbsup:
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 13 Jun 2023, 7:09 pm

Just submitted an application to LRD. I’ll cross my fingers, but honestly don’t think I’ll hold my breath.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Jun 2023, 7:14 pm

I hope your wearing gum boots.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 13 Jun 2023, 7:42 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I hope your wearing gum boots.

Hahaha.
There’s no such thing as a stupid question, so it can’t hurt to ask.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Jun 2023, 8:25 pm

Can't hurt at least warm and wet is better than cold and dry. :thumbsup:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 13 Jun 2023, 8:27 pm

womble wrote:Probably. They suppress noise for the shooter but not as much as people expect.
Still going to clearly hear a 30-06 on your property

You must be talking about a small property.
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by tuknal » 12 Nov 2023, 9:36 am

not to sure about vic rules
but in nsw its becoming easier
if you can tick the boxes then they have no reason not to give you a permit ,,
it just takes time ,,and depending on your genuine reasons on your lic thing may be easier
and if you can get letters from property owners with consent of use on their property it helps
and if your lucky enough then youve got to deal with the so called suppressor makers
that dont answer calls or get back to you or charge a ridiculous amount for one
good luck
tuknal
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Nov 2023, 10:51 am

I believe they should be treated as a “firearm” themselves,, and have a serial number, and be registered to the owner. Should also have to have a PTA applied to them,,,,, just so as to calm the paranoid officials. All of the landowners that I shoot for would love it if I had one, and have openly said so. Common sense says owning one would be a definite positive move for dealing with our current over population of feral pigs,,, not to mention the dogs, feral cats, and foxes.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment