Opinel knives

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Opinel knives

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Aug 2023, 11:02 pm

Looking for a small folder to replace one that was stolen. Not many at a reasonable price and hard to find out anything about the blade steel.

I see they have a 3" folder No 8 they call it. Dam cheap. Use will me mainly light gutting, skining, like rabbits perhaps fox. Unikely but perhaps bigger stuff.

Use around the house perhaps.

Who has had one?

Q1 are they any good and hold an edge?
Q2 do they lock and how?
Q3 should i get a stainless or carbon steel?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Opinel knives

Post by deye243 » 17 Aug 2023, 11:17 pm

Buck 112 or the bigger 110 .
Buy once cry once I've got 3 of them and one of them I've had since 1983 .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 18 Aug 2023, 3:54 am

I don’t like opined knives (sacrilege)
I see you’ve neglected to nominate a price range.
That’s ok I’ll do that. Let’s say around 100 dollarydoos ( aka 6,000 rubles :lol: )
So here are my picks
Off grid badger or off grid baby rhino. Go to Amazon prime not Amazon au.
Either a tad over 100 shipped
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 18 Aug 2023, 9:16 am

They are brilliant,simple knives for the price. I've had several. I much preferred the no.7 spear point carbon steel over the stainless drop points though. They hold a reasonable edge and are easy to sharpen,and I love the locking mechanism
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Aug 2023, 3:55 pm

bigpete wrote:They are brilliant,simple knives for the price. I've had several. I much preferred the no.7 spear point carbon steel over the stainless drop points though. They hold a reasonable edge and are easy to sharpen,and I love the locking mechanism

Why is that BP?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 18 Aug 2023, 5:15 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bigpete wrote:They are brilliant,simple knives for the price. I've had several. I much preferred the no.7 spear point carbon steel over the stainless drop points though. They hold a reasonable edge and are easy to sharpen,and I love the locking mechanism

Why is that BP?

Wrong term,spear point and drop point are almost the same. Their standard tips try to dig into the flesh too much when skinning, and the carbon steel holds a heaps better edge
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Billo » 18 Aug 2023, 8:29 pm

whats the budget Oldbloke ? I've got an old tinned knife sitting unused somewhere that frankly I'll never use
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 19 Aug 2023, 12:50 am

Oldbloke wrote:Looking for a small folder to replace one that was stolen. Not many at a reasonable price and hard to find out anything about the blade steel.

I see they have a 3" folder No 8 they call it. Dam cheap. Use will me mainly light gutting, skining, like rabbits perhaps fox. Unikely but perhaps bigger stuff.

Use around the house perhaps.

Who has had one?

Q1 are they any good and hold an edge?
Q2 do they lock and how?
Q3 should i get a stainless or carbon steel?

Gee's them KIWI'S love their knife's aye
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 19 Aug 2023, 4:02 am

deye243 wrote:Buck 112 or the bigger 110 .

Buck knives are really good and value for money. And they’re not expensive. American steel lifetime warranty.
For something that you’re actually going to put to work that’s a good suggestion. Nothing fancy but good steel.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 19 Aug 2023, 10:29 am

I carry a No6 in my pocket everyday. The edge isn't a conventional edge, hard to describe, the carbon steel is difficult to sharpen but holds its edge well, all I use is the rough side of a wet stone. I also have a No8 in my hunting pack. I've used it to break down a small deer. I won't use a folder for any work like that where the blade might fold back on your fingers. I'll make an exception for the opinel. There is a locking coller that twists, the blade can be locked close and open. There are better knives out there but for the cost, weight and positive locking open, they're hard to beat. The carbon steel blade will tranish and go black after a few months. If you are more familiar with stainless knives maybe pick a stainless version.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by deye243 » 19 Aug 2023, 2:02 pm

womble wrote:
deye243 wrote:Buck 112 or the bigger 110 .

Buck knives are really good and value for money. And they’re not expensive. American steel lifetime warranty.
For something that you’re actually going to put to work that’s a good suggestion. Nothing fancy but good steel.

Except these ones there crap the steel is some rubbish from china .
You Wouldn't believe they were from the same company .
20230819_135828_copy_768x1645.jpg
20230819_135828_copy_768x1645.jpg (683.75 KiB) Viewed 16160 times
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Aug 2023, 3:22 pm

Soo, have had and have a few knives. Some were just crap. But I miss my stolen 3" Kershaw. Skun a lot of rabbits, few foxes and a couple of sambar. Fair few goats too. A new small folder wasn't a necessity but a like to have as i have the puma pal. It won't get a lot of work these days.

The only use is likely the odd rabbit or fox mask. If I chase bigger stuff I usually take the puma pal now.

Yet to hear anything bad about the Opinel and price is right. Soo, just ordered two No 08s in SS.

I'll grind the tip down a tad to make it more like a drop point.

One for me and one for one of my grandsons who is just waiting for his A,B, Licence to arrive in the mail. :D

Thx everyone for your input.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by albat » 19 Aug 2023, 5:04 pm

I've had used them since a young age as my dad had several I carry the very large one can't remember the size very light and razor sharp out the box easy to sharpen the carbon ones lo k ring is great the only thing I don't like when cutting up game is that it doesn't have a finger guard as such
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by geoff » 21 Aug 2023, 8:27 pm

I like my opinel as a beater knife. The patina on the carbon steel is particularly aesthetic, though mine does get used for rabbit work a fair bit
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by JohnV » 21 Aug 2023, 8:44 pm

Ka-Bar ITEM: 3077 Gila Folder , 420 stainless blade . Thumb notch because opening studs are illegal .
Carbon blades make great sheath knives but the humidity inside your pocket will cause some rust eventually even if only along an uncoated edge . I like stainless blades for pocket knives . Cheap enough to buy two so you have a spare .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by womble » 22 Aug 2023, 4:11 am

It’s still single hand opening JohnV.
Admirable that you’ve tried to be legally compliant with your pocket knife, but you really can’t win. Nanny says no in this country.
We cannot be trusted with sharp things.
Personally i say nanny can eat a dick. Because I’ve had pocket knives all my life since gifted to me by grand father as young boy. And to this day i still haven’t hijacked a single plane.
I always carry one because I’m so used to using it. If I leave it at home I’m out of sorts and try opening things with car keys or something.
I also suspect skinning a rabbit with a car key would be tedious and the minute one managed to complete the task, car keys would be banned. (Assuming they’re not already in NSW) And then you wouldn’t be able to drive home and cook up your rabbit. Unless you can roll start the car. But then the steering column is locked and first bend in the road a large tree will bring you to a very abrupt stop.
Point being one can only be so compliant to nanny and still get through the day.
So enjoy your ka-bar they are also great utilitarian knives. Hypothetically I also own a couple which I cannot admit to without incriminating myself.

*disclaimer. All above is entirely theoretical and I would never break the law. I only own plastic cutlery and don’t use it unless supervised.
Last edited by womble on 22 Aug 2023, 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 22 Aug 2023, 4:24 am

Dammit they banned plastic cutlery didn’t they
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 22 Aug 2023, 6:55 am

Single handed opening isn't illegal
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Aug 2023, 8:56 am

"*disclaimer. All above is entirely theoretical and I would never break the law. I only own plastic cutlery and don’t use it unless supervised."

Plastic is not environmentally friendly. Suggest you get rid of it and buy the wooden stuff. Lol
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 22 Aug 2023, 9:45 am

my son uses them and i like the way they hold a edge
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by JohnV » 22 Aug 2023, 12:46 pm

I think the law says opening stud or something similar so the notch should be ok . But if it's not just buy one of the other models like a Ka-Bar Mark 98. Item 3066 . It also has a groove in the blade that allows secure holding of the blade to shorten it down which can help when skinning small critters . The curve in the blade is large enough to help skin something bigger . https://www.kabar.com/products/3066
I have used a few Ka-Bar knives and a machete and never been let down with normal sensible use .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Tassiebloke » 22 Aug 2023, 4:56 pm

the old opinel has never done me any wrong. they're a good (relatively cheap) knife that gets the job done. i do sharpen mine a fair bit though.
Tassiebloke
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Aug 2023, 6:07 pm

Tassiebloke wrote:the old opinel has never done me any wrong. they're a good (relatively cheap) knife that gets the job done. i do sharpen mine a fair bit though.

And that's all I need.
Works.
Not expensive.
Will last about 10 years of occasional use.
Not interested in "looks".
Yes, RH ofabt 57 sounds a tad soft but will do for me I think.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 22 Aug 2023, 8:15 pm

I can't even see if those Opinel knives have a proper blade locking system . Not the knife that I would by at any price .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigpete » 22 Aug 2023, 8:42 pm

JohnV wrote:I can't even see if those Opinel knives have a proper blade locking system . Not the knife that I would by at any price .

They have one of the best locking mechanisms you can get lol.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 22 Aug 2023, 8:47 pm

JohnV wrote:I think the law says opening stud or something similar so the notch should be ok . But if it's not just buy one of the other models like a Ka-Bar Mark 98. Item 3066 . It also has a groove in the blade that allows secure holding of the blade to shorten it down which can help when skinning small critters . The curve in the blade is large enough to help skin something bigger . https://www.kabar.com/products/3066
I have used a few Ka-Bar knives and a machete and never been let down with normal sensible use .

There are no laws preventing the ownership of knives with thumb studs or the like
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Aug 2023, 9:32 pm

Click on "safety ring". Info is a bit hard to find.
But, yes, locking mechanism is not obvious, its different. I'm yet to pick one up but based on BPs recommendation im happy to buy.

https://opinel.com.au/collections/stain ... 6239486143

Resized_Screenshot_20230822-205632_Samsung_Internet.jpeg
Resized_Screenshot_20230822-205632_Samsung_Internet.jpeg (104.04 KiB) Viewed 16002 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Aug 2023, 9:50 pm

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 22 Aug 2023, 10:07 pm

bigpete wrote:
JohnV wrote:I think the law says opening stud or something similar so the notch should be ok . But if it's not just buy one of the other models like a Ka-Bar Mark 98. Item 3066 . It also has a groove in the blade that allows secure holding of the blade to shorten it down which can help when skinning small critters . The curve in the blade is large enough to help skin something bigger . https://www.kabar.com/products/3066

There are no laws preventing the ownership of knives with thumb studs or the like

You might be right but I am sure I raed that the Police see them as illegal in NSW at least but It might be wrong .
A flick knife (or other similar device) that has a blade which opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by any pressure applied to a button, spring or device in or attached to the handle of the knife.

I think this is the confusing legislation where a comma is seen by some to make that button phrase separate to the handle part . Anyway a dealer should be able to clear that up . I myself read that as any button that allows the knife to open by centrifugal force which is how you flick it open using the stud to start the movement .

Also it appears that Federally the law also specifically states any assisted opening knife with a stud on the blade but State laws say only a button on the handle . So it looks like you can buy them within Australia but Customs may not allow them in from overseas .

Federal law .
Automatic knives that have a blade folded or recessed into the handle which are designed or adapted
to open automatically by pressure applied to any spring, device, stud or button in or attached to the handle or blade of the knife, including knives commonly known as flick knives, switchblades or assisted opening knives .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigpete » 22 Aug 2023, 11:51 pm

Thats all about automatic and flick knives,not an ordinary folder with a thumb stud
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment