Opinel knives

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Opinel knives

Post by womble » 23 Aug 2023, 3:50 am

Can you just use two hands bigpete please. It’s for your safety and the safety of the community. Ok.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 23 Aug 2023, 9:34 am

Read the Federal law it specifically states any kind of stud attached to the blade . It's quite clear .
Customs would be within their rights to confiscate it but it seems you can buy one within the country . Which seems stupid .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigpete » 23 Aug 2023, 12:03 pm

JohnV wrote:Read the Federal law it specifically states any kind of stud attached to the blade . It's quite clear .
Customs would be within their rights to confiscate it but it seems you can buy one within the country . Which seems stupid .

Perhaps you should. Coz its referring to automatic or assisted opening knives, not a regular pocket knife.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 23 Aug 2023, 12:18 pm

womble wrote:Can you just use two hands bigpete please. It’s for your safety and the safety of the community. Ok.

I don't need to,as single handed opening knives aren't illegal lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Aug 2023, 1:32 pm

JohnV wrote:Read the Federal law it specifically states any kind of stud attached to the blade . It's quite clear .

Mate, you must be miss interpreting that.
You can buy those knives over the counter everywhere. Online too.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 23 Aug 2023, 2:08 pm

Federal law .
Automatic knives that have a blade folded or recessed into the handle which are designed or adapted
to open automatically by pressure applied to any spring, device, stud or button in or attached to the handle or blade of the knife, including knives commonly known as flick knives, switchblades or assisted opening knives .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigpete » 23 Aug 2023, 2:25 pm

Yes, AUTOMATIC knives you dumbass ! Its covering all the opening methods for AUTOMATIC knives,that is,ones that have some sort of spring that assists the blade in opening!
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Aug 2023, 4:08 pm

Sooo, what has any of this got to do with Opinel pocket knives?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 23 Aug 2023, 4:23 pm

Including assisted opening knives.
Stud or button attached to handle OR BLADE

How many automatic knives do you know that operate via a stud on the blade. There are none , zero, zilch, NADA
They all operate via button or switch ON THE HANDLE

Therefore their definition of automatic includes assisted opening. Automatic by definition can include some operator input.
Because there’s automatic and then there’s ALSO automatic which is also considered automatic BY FEDERAL LAWWWW
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 23 Aug 2023, 4:29 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Sooo, what has any of this got to do with Opinel pocket knives?

Yes Opinel pocket knives.
Many people like them
I think they’re dumb.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 23 Aug 2023, 4:34 pm

womble wrote:Including assisted opening knives.

How many automatic knives do you know that operate via a stud on the blade. There are none , zero, zilch, NADA

Therefore their definition of automatic includes assisted opening. Automatic by definition can include some operator input.
Because there’s automatic and then there’s ALSO automatic which is also considered automatic BY FEDERAL LAWWWW

Not true. There are quite a few that rely on the operator to partially open them via a thumb stud before the spring takes effect
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 23 Aug 2023, 4:36 pm

They're defined as assisted opening knives
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 23 Aug 2023, 4:38 pm

Screenshot_20230823-160729_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20230823-160729_Google.jpg (284.1 KiB) Viewed 23930 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 23 Aug 2023, 4:58 pm

JohnV wrote:Federal law .
Automatic knives that have a blade folded or recessed into the handle which are designed or adapted
to open automatically by pressure applied to any spring, device, stud or button in or attached to the handle or blade of the knife, including knives commonly known as flick knives, switchblades or assisted opening knives .

I've seen "assisted opening" knives, they have a spring mechanism that flicks the blade out after you move it a little way past the cam point. Having a stud on the blade of a non-assisted-opening knife doesn't make it assisted opening, it just allows you to open it one-handed.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Aug 2023, 5:00 pm

womble wrote:Including assisted opening knives.

Some assisted opening knives have a stud mounted on the blade, some just have a leverage point as part of the blade, often one of the hand guards. You use these levers to move the blade out just enough to go over the cam, then a spring flicks the blade out to lock. A non-assisted blade doesn't become "assisted" just by virtue of an opening stud.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Aug 2023, 5:05 pm

bigpete wrote:Not true. There are quite a few that rely on the operator to partially open them via a thumb stud before the spring takes effect

Yes, these are spring-assisted and are illegal in all states I think, although probably can be owned for various reasons, like collecting or theatrical weaponry. The knives that have a stud to allow you to open them, but don't have any spring mechanism, are perfectly legal as far as I'm aware.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Aug 2023, 5:08 pm

I had a knife many years ago that used a locking sleeve like these Opinel knives seem to use (might've even been one of theirs if they were around 40-odd years ago). Hated the thing. The knife was decent, the locking mechanism sucks.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 23 Aug 2023, 5:28 pm

bladeracer wrote:I had a knife many years ago that used a locking sleeve like these Opinel knives seem to use (might've even been one of theirs if they were around 40-odd years ago). Hated the thing. The knife was decent, the locking mechanism sucks.

Best. Locking mechanism. Ever. :)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Aug 2023, 6:02 pm

womble wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Sooo, what has any of this got to do with Opinel pocket knives?

Yes Opinel pocket knives.
Many people like them
I think they’re dumb.

I'll form my opinion when it's had some use. But yes, it's different. Dumb, I don't think so.

The thing about knives it really is "horses for
courses ". Each to their own as they say.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 24 Aug 2023, 3:48 am

I think I might be wrong https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kav7tifmyTg&pp=ygUNQW0gaSBhIHJldGFyZA%3D%3D

However, now that I have been forcefully educated, I will now argue that there are a crapload of knives being marketed as assisted open that technically are not.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 24 Aug 2023, 5:39 am

I still consider a thumb stud a gateway knife
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Aug 2023, 12:47 pm

bigpete wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I had a knife many years ago that used a locking sleeve like these Opinel knives seem to use (might've even been one of theirs if they were around 40-odd years ago). Hated the thing. The knife was decent, the locking mechanism sucks.

Best. Locking mechanism. Ever. :)

I'm sure some people can get it out, use it, and put it away again, one-handed while grappling with with whatever job they're doing but I prefer something simpler.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Sep 2023, 4:08 pm

Just looked at the new opinel knives. To lock the blade you turn the ss "ring"
Shown in both blade locked open and blade locked closed position.

The blade needs to align with the slot inorder to open or close the blade. Simple and effective, smooth operation.

As BP said good, simple, honest knife. And very very light which what I was after.

Resized_20230913_152555.jpeg
Resized_20230913_152555.jpeg (193.8 KiB) Viewed 23796 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 13 Sep 2023, 6:56 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Just looked at the new opinel knives. To lock the blade you turn the ss "ring"

The blade needs to align with the slot inorder to open or close the blade. Simple and effective, smooth operation.

As BP said good, simple, honest knife. And very very light which what I was after.

Yep. Simple and effective.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 13 Sep 2023, 7:35 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Just looked at the new opinel knives. To lock the blade you turn the ss "ring"

The blade needs to align with the slot in order to open or close the blade. Simple and effective, smooth operation.

Yes, I know how they work. Do you find them easy to operate one-handed though?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Sep 2023, 9:21 pm

bladeracer wrote:

The blade needs to align with the slot in order to open or close the blade. Simple and effective, smooth operation.

Yes, I know how they work. Do you find them easy to operate one-handed though?

No, need 2 hands, but I don't have that requirement.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Sep 2023, 5:30 am

Oldbloke wrote:No, need 2 hands, but I don't have that requirement.

When I need to use a knife it's nearly always because I'm trying to do something with it, so nearly always I only have one hand free.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Sep 2023, 9:56 am

bladeracer wrote:

When I need to use a knife it's nearly always because I'm trying to do something with it, so nearly always I only have one hand free.

Um, I'm not trying to sell you one. :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 14 Sep 2023, 1:21 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Um, I'm not trying to sell you one. :lol:

Yeah,I know right lol.
I do a f*** ton of work with tractors and other machinery,farm work,mechanical work,etc. And I've rarely NEEDED a one handed opening knife. They're definitely handy though and I've got plenty of options to choose from,but my daily carry is an old timer.

And the opinel locking mechanism is great,and simple. I don't believe anyone ever said it was good for anything other than locking
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by phill55phill » 30 Sep 2023, 8:36 am

JohnV wrote:I think the law says opening stud or something similar so the notch should be ok . But if it's not just buy one of the other models like a Ka-Bar Mark 98. Item 3066 . It also has a groove in the blade that allows secure holding of the blade to shorten it down which can help when skinning small critters . The curve in the blade is large enough to help skin something bigger . https://www.kabar.com/products/3066
I have used a few Ka-Bar knives and a machete and never been let down with normal sensible use .

Where are they in oz
phill55phill
Private
Private

South Australia

Previous

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment