Safe monitoring system?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Safe monitoring system?

Post by S O K A R » 29 Aug 2023, 11:54 pm

Looking at getting my cat h license soon, but required to add extra security measures as most are aware.
Opting for a detection/sensor system that will alert my phone via an app and/or sms each time the safe is opened (not going the cctv route).

I got quoted 2.5k for a system by a local security company here for initial installment + on-going costs, seems a bit up there....
Anyone know of any cheaper alternatives?

For reference:
Additional Requirements for Category H Firearms or Where 10 or More Firearms are Stored

Where any Category H firearms, or 10 or more firearms of any category, are stored at a premises, the premises or storage receptacle must be equipped with an electronic security device that is:

(a) designed to prevent, detect or deter any unauthorised entry;
(b) capable of detecting any unauthorised entry; and
(c) maintained and in proper working order.

The electronic security device may be either an alarm or a visual recording device, and:

(a) if an alarm, must be either audible or monitored; or
(b) if a visual recording device:
must record to a storage device any activity where the receptacle is located;
the storage device must not be located near the receptacle; and
the recorded visual recordings must be of sufficient quality to identify people in the vicinity of the receptacle.
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Safe monitoring system?

Post by bladeracer » 30 Aug 2023, 1:14 pm

S O K A R wrote:Looking at getting my cat h license soon, but required to add extra security measures as most are aware.
Opting for a detection/sensor system that will alert my phone via an app and/or sms each time the safe is opened (not going the cctv route).

I got quoted 2.5k for a system by a local security company here for initial installment + on-going costs, seems a bit up there....
Anyone know of any cheaper alternatives?

For reference:
Additional Requirements for Category H Firearms or Where 10 or More Firearms are Stored

Where any Category H firearms, or 10 or more firearms of any category, are stored at a premises, the premises or storage receptacle must be equipped with an electronic security device that is:

(a) designed to prevent, detect or deter any unauthorised entry;
(b) capable of detecting any unauthorised entry; and
(c) maintained and in proper working order.

The electronic security device may be either an alarm or a visual recording device, and:

(a) if an alarm, must be either audible or monitored; or
(b) if a visual recording device:
must record to a storage device any activity where the receptacle is located;
the storage device must not be located near the receptacle; and
the recorded visual recordings must be of sufficient quality to identify people in the vicinity of the receptacle.

I couldn't get anybody willing to come out here to install a system. So I bought a basic alarm system that connects to the NBN to alert both our phones if the alarm is triggered. And added a CCTV system that we can view from our phones upon getting such an alert. I don't remember the pricing but it was not at all expensive, I think under $1000 for the whole setup. Everything was plug and play using wireless sensors. I got it through a security company up in Melbourne but don't recall the name now. Wireless cameras are good as you can move them around. A mate has had trouble with an intruder that has worked out where his cameras are positioned so he's had to add trail cameras.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 02 Sep 2023, 10:11 am

Try this https://www.securetracksense.com/pages/ ... arm-sensor

or

https://shop.yosmart.com/products/ys7707 plus the hub. https://shop.yosmart.com/products/ys1603

There are also other add on to this such as alarms, cameras etc, if you wish.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by ederlezi » 07 Sep 2023, 9:10 am

It might sound trivial, but why not using the door sensors sold at Bunnings ? They run on wifi, work with batteries, and will send an alert to your phone using the app as soon as something is being opened. They cost $25 box, the app is free and they work great. I have plenty. You can also install an alarm in your house that is using the same system and will be triggered if your safe is opened plus having an alarm on your phone. Let me know if I am missing something.
ederlezi
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 Sep 2023, 11:43 am

ederlezi wrote:It might sound trivial, but why not using the door sensors sold at Bunnings ? They run on wifi, work with batteries, and will send an alert to your phone using the app as soon as something is being opened. They cost $25 box, the app is free and they work great. I have plenty. You can also install an alarm in your house that is using the same system and will be triggered if your safe is opened plus having an alarm on your phone. Let me know if I am missing something.

They're not a bad idea. I don't know that they'd be acceptable for the legal requirements, but it sounds like they should be okay.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bergararse » 09 Sep 2023, 10:40 am

I use Wireless Tags on mine. Is a AppleTag like device that alerts you when there has been movement within a certain degree. The bonus is it has Humidity as well. (and Temp). There is an Aussie Distributor although I got mine through the US channels with a Black Friday sale. https://wirelesstag.net/index.html.

Reports to my phone and provides graphs etc.
Bergararse
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment