Mount Waverley man busted with “highly restricted” silencers

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Mount Waverley man busted with “highly restricted” silencers

Post by stihl88 » 05 Oct 2023, 9:02 am

Mount Waverley man busted with “highly restricted” silencers used in gunfire

>>> A WARNING TO OTHERS WHO MAY BE TEMPTED TO DO THE SAME<<<

A 64-year-old man who imported a cache of “highly restricted” gun supplies from China has been slapped with a string of charges and a hefty fine. Australian Border Force officials seized gun silencers, tasers and ammunition from a 64-year-old Mount Waverley man's home after he allegedly imported them from China.

Original Article
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/mount-waverley-man-busted-with-highly-restricted-silencers-used-in-gunfire/news-story/b027ccc96daff3ebf3873b63ab404b2f
5.jpg
5.jpg (77.05 KiB) Viewed 2052 times

A man who tried to import a slew of gun silencers from China was found to have used the “highly restricted” equipment on firearms in Melbourne.

The Australian Border Force raided a 64-year-old Mount Waverley man’s home, where they found a cache of a dozen silencers, a taser and a fake gun amid a stash of drugs and ammunition.

Testing on the illegal devices revealed a build-up of carbon monoxide, a telltale sign that they had been fitted to firearms when they had been fired.

6.jpg
6.jpg (109.68 KiB) Viewed 2052 times

The man, who is facing 15 firearms-related charges, allegedly bought the slew of supplies from a seller in China between January and April last year before the ABF raided his home on July 1.

He tried to smuggle them into Melbourne by falsely declaring them as “fuel filters” and “solvent traps”.

The ABF fined the man $3,300 for importing prohibited items and Victoria Police suspended his firearms licence.

The ABF’s Victoria and Tasmania acting regional investigations superintendent Jessica Fensling said authorities were constantly on the lookout for illegal silencer shipments.

“Firearms suppressors are highly restricted and have the potential to cause great harm within the community,” she said.

“ABF officers both in Victoria, and across Australia, have suspect consignments firmly in their sights.
“We are highly skilled at detecting firearms and other prohibited items such as silencers, regardless of how they are concealed.
“ABF along with its federal, state and territory law enforcement partners will continue to target people who attempt to import firearms, parts or accessories such as silencers into Australia without a proper permit.”

The 64-year-old has been remanded to appear at the Ringwood Magistrates Court at a later date.
stihl88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Mount Waverley man busted with “highly restricted” silen

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Oct 2023, 9:30 am

"Testing on the illegal devices revealed a build-up of carbon monoxide."

:lol: :lol:

Carbon monoxide, even i know thats a gas. :roll:
Perhaps the reporter should watch some old episodes of "Julius Somner Miller".

I think its meant to be carbon deposits. But, do they first get tested in the factory? :unknown:

For those too young to know who he was. :clap:

https://youtu.be/uOhm6ryOHI4?si=REYVm_Y_y9cY1Rrt
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Oct 2023, 9:50 am

Silencers "...have the potential to cause great harm within the community".

When has this ever been the case in any community?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Oct 2023, 10:15 am

Crisis averted, I'll sleep well tonight knowing my family is safe from these deadly devices.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by stihl88 » 05 Oct 2023, 10:15 am

bladeracer wrote:Silencers "...have the potential to cause great harm within the community".

When has this ever been the case in any community?

I can think of many real world examples;
James Bond
Borne Identity
Mission Impossible
Extraction
Jack Reaper
Sicario
John Wick
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking 'Silencers'
stihl88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tassiebloke » 05 Oct 2023, 10:48 am

there's always someone to make us all look like s**t, isn't there. is it that hard to be a responsible person?
Tassiebloke
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Oct 2023, 9:55 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

Carbon monoxide, even i know thats a gas. :roll:

What a classic,,,,,,,,,,,,, and, What a gasser. :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by womble » 06 Oct 2023, 2:13 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Crisis averted, I'll sleep well tonight knowing my family is safe from these deadly devices.

Absolutely. Amazing police work.
Thousands of lives saved. Finally the streets are safe again.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 06 Oct 2023, 2:32 am

It's often joked here in the gun community about the whole "solvent trap", "lawn mower muffler" and "oil filter attachment" thing being a big "Fed" agent set up and it seems the people that buy these often end up getting visited.

However, in the USA if you follow NFA rules, live in a state where they are legal, submit paperwork, fingerprints and $200, you can either build your own suppressor from parts or from scratch or buy a factory built one. Myself I don't own one yet but I intend on purchasing a number of them for my modern firearms. I have shot a substantial number of rifles, pistols and submachine guns with suppressors and overall I prefer them for general shooting with a caveat(gas blowback). As I am getting older I have to protect my ears and they cut down significantly on sound and blast and I'd rather use them than not.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by northdude » 06 Oct 2023, 3:47 am

Suppressors are are real problem over here....so many to choose from
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by womble » 06 Oct 2023, 5:05 am

Having lived in a nanny state for around 30 years now of nanny growing ever more vigilant
Constantly inventing new ways to wrap me in new layers of cotton wool.
Actually surprised I don’t have to wear a helmet to check the mailbox yet.

The suppressor argument is my one source of constant amusement and bemusement and I hope things never change.
Because that is exactly the sort of thing they would mandate here. It’s just so wildly out of character for nanny.
You’d really anticipate only firearms you can legally possess must be suppressed.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 06 Oct 2023, 6:02 am

Forget the fake suppressors that don't even work. He's got a box of primers!!
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 07 Oct 2023, 1:06 pm

Not that restricted they are advertised on Australian facebook pages that can be bought online through the facebook store. Very easy to obtain.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by womble » 07 Oct 2023, 1:41 pm

Everything is very easy to obtain nowadays. Chinese websites target you with ads for firearm parts if you look online for parts.
But anything illegal that comes from overseas carries a real risk and high penalties. .
Vicpol has been in busting people bringing in automatic shotguns lately. Suppressors big deal.
. But in this case it’s how many he’s got and how’s he connected to the buyers. Because he’s connected to something bigger, he’s not doing this without customers lined up.

.only have to watch the nightly news. The stuff they’re pulling of people isn’t being stolen from us. Not stuff we’re allowed to own . And heaps of Chinese junk.
The chinks sell it cheap as chips but the criminal mark up here is huge. Far more profitable than dealing drugs.
This is why wapol pisses me off so much. Dedicate your resources where they’re direly needed ffs you lazy pricks instead of picking on innocent people.

womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 07 Oct 2023, 2:14 pm

I’ve innocently bought some cheap m-lok rails from some Ching Chong website before and next thing you know they’re spamming me with just about everything illegal you can think of.
Credit card printing machines and blanks. Home meth labs. All manner of illegal firearm stuff including casings, powder, projectiles.
I am not that way inclined and value my honest standing.

But man am I sick of hearing Australian police forces comming down hard on lafos to reassure the public.
Do your f***ing job wapol you useless bunch of c***
I
But no they’ll just go and arrest an 80 year old man who legally owns a rifle that they approved in some obscure antiquated caliber because that’s just so easy.
And then they just write him up in the news as a somebody who was potentially a terrorist or some crap to big note themselves.
You brave saviours of public safety. Good job..
God forbid they ever should face off against real criminals who might shoot back.
At least the Ulvade police force arrived on the scene. Better than what we’ve been seeing from wapol of late.
Bunch of f***ing wankers.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 17 Oct 2023, 1:46 pm

G'day,

On the subject of importing accessories for firearms I recently imported two replacement magazines for my elderly
Anschutz 15332 [.222 Rem.] I lost the original at a local farm one night - I suspect I placed the unloaded magazine on the roof of the car and later drove off. [My wife considers it's due to the onset of dementia.]

I obtained an import application form online and sent it off in hope to the Registry. To my delight I received back Form B709A permitting me to import two magazines. That was the easy part. I found a supplier [Freelands Sports] in Ohio, USA which was advertising 1532 factory magazines for Anschutz. [Anschutz in Germany no longer stocks them.] The company in the USA would not ship them internationally as the rules under ITAR are strict and complex.

I bought two magazines online and had them sent to my brother-in-law in Wisconsin. My wife then travelled to her hometown and spent three weeks visiting her family. I gave her the import form B709A to carry with her. She packed the magazines in her checked luggage in Wisconsin. [It's legal in the USA to carry various types of firearms accessories in checked luggage.] She flew home without any issue from US customs; her luggage was checked through without examination. Once in Melbourne she declared the magazines to customs also handing them the import permission. Customs took the magazines and issued a receipt. They required me to drive down to Tullamarine airport to collect the package the next day. My wife could not bring the magazines through the border as she was not the importer of record.

It was a bit of a process, but as the magazines are as scarce as hen's teeth it was well worth it.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mickb » 11 Nov 2023, 1:34 am

credit card printing machines and blanks. Home meth labs. All manner of illegal firearm stuff including casings, powder, projectiles.
I am not that way inclined and value my honest standing.

But man am I sick of hearing Australian police forces comming down hard on lafos to reassure the public.

me too mate, also sick of the label LAFO itself. Id be happy calling gunowners RAFO's, as in regular firearm owners, intimating you can have an error of judgement without losing your hobby.

Importing silencers may be a stretch but one vexatious DVO, an assault charge, forgetting to lock your safe, forgetting to even cable tie your lever action shut whilst travelling or having some loose 22lR rolling about on the floor of the vehicle and you can lose everything..for years.

Is a bloke banned from fishing because he forgets to put his eperb in a boat one time?Does he get banned from buying alcohol for 10 years after one fight in a pub? Do you lose the right to ride a bike being caught without a helmet? Nope.

But us "LAFOS" needs to operate with a Jesus level of perfection apparently.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by womble » 11 Nov 2023, 2:35 am

Yep it’s always challenging. Not just knowing the rules and regulations but being up to date with them when they change with such frequency.
And that’s even harder when you select an area to hunt, being up to date with current information and getting conflicting information.
And then you’ve got different rules to apply depending on if you’re hunting vermin or game.
I can store a gun in the cabin for goats, but for deer it can’t be in the cabin. And s**t I hope I stored my torch correctly.
It is so easy to make the simplest error and then on top of that , specifics in legislation are left deliberately vague.
Travelling between states, everything from storage to the length of a barrel, combining hunting with holidays. Always a challenge to be certain you’re abiding by everything.
And then you read stories of zero leniency and that doesn’t help.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by mickb » 11 Nov 2023, 7:47 pm

yeah mate its a total work. Its why I dont like the term LAFO, its a corner we have been backed into. Like when some bloke shoots up a bunch of horses and all the gunowners pile in saying we should be 'policing our own'. I dont own anyone who commits a crime, my job isnt policing and I dont accept responsbility for someone who does something wrong with a gun anymore than I would some guy who kills his wife with the same brand of golf clubs I use. Nice corner they have backed us into accepting all this pre-crime responsbility. Given an impossible task and then punished for it lol.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment