Ridgeline Speed Stick Tripod

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Ridgeline Speed Stick Tripod

Post by RunRabbit » 26 Oct 2023, 2:07 pm

Has anyone used the Ridgeline Speed Stick Tripod? I was after a Primos Trigger Stick Tripod but the Ridgeline is a third of the price. I'd appreciate opinions from anyone that's used both.

I'm happy to pay the extra if it's worth it but I don't have anywhere local with stock so I'll be buying online and can't try them out to compare.
RunRabbit
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Ridgeline Speed Stick Tripod

Post by bladeracer » 26 Oct 2023, 5:25 pm

RunRabbit wrote:Has anyone used the Ridgeline Speed Stick Tripod? I was after a Primos Trigger Stick Tripod but the Ridgeline is a third of the price. I'd appreciate opinions from anyone that's used both.

I'm happy to pay the extra if it's worth it but I don't have anywhere local with stock so I'll be buying online and can't try them out to compare.

I have no idea whether the Ridgeline is any different or better than my $60 Ebay one.
20231026_152318b.jpg
20231026_152318b.jpg (390.2 KiB) Viewed 1296 times

20231026_152328b.jpg
20231026_152328b.jpg (325.79 KiB) Viewed 1296 times

20231026_152333b.jpg
20231026_152333b.jpg (329.86 KiB) Viewed 1296 times

I tried to get some video using it but I really need a camera person walking with me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg1_bHElaMI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTM-5_LLsK4
I very rarely actually use it like this as it is quite bulky, but if you are used to using a tripod it can be pretty effective.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jorlcrin » 26 Oct 2023, 5:26 pm

Background.
I often walk away from the homestead with my Ruger Precision Rifle(.308), which is a hefty thing to carry on it's own...
I previously used to carry a Manfrotto 055/ProB tripod around, and use that as a rest when I did my Sunrise/Sunset Walkey-Pokk.
I wanted something a little less heavy, and more compact, and the idea of a rest that could telescope down into reasonably compact, appealed to me.

So, I ordered the Primos setup, including the treestand attachment, which is a heavy(ish) base that supposedly allows the TriggerStick to stand upright on it's own.
Back in late 2021, I ordered the following through my LGS:-

PR65813 PRIMOS TRIGGER STICK GEN3 MONOPOD TALL 33"-65" CAMO
PR65498 PRIMOS TRIGGER STICK MONOPOD TREESTAND ATTACHMENT
Pretty sure at the time, they came to just under $300 through my LGS.

Yeahhhh....Not doing that again.
Might have used it maybe 4-5 times, and find it a disappointing waste of money.

Pros(and there are a few):-
- The 'Valley' rest atop the stick isnt too bad as a rest.
- You can hold the unit out at the height you want it, pull the trigger, and the stick extends to ground; simple deployment from retracted.
- Reasonably compact and light.
- The mechanism could easily hold the weight of my Ruger Precision (which isnt light), without retracting/sliding down.

Cons:-
- The Treestand base has a flexible rubber connector to the stick, which allows it to flop over on all but perfectly level ground.
- The Plastic/Alloy construction suggests this isnt going to last overly well, and I note the second-stage already is stiff to extend(spent most of it's life indoors).
- The Treestand base makes the whole unit bottom-heavy(obviously), which gets annoying to lug around. (Wheras the tripod balances about centre)

Worst part of using it, was I'd plonk it down, turn around to load the rifle, and the damn thing would've flopped over in a moderate breeze.

Every so often, I think about 3D printing up a rigid connector between the TreeStand and the stick, which might make the thing stay upright.
OR; keeping the top section, and making up a completely new stick.

But I'd hesitate to buy another; I think you could easily make something up yourself that works better, and save a LOT of money.
In the mean-time, the Manfrotto tripod gets lugged around, and does a fantastic job, and likely keeps my muscle-mass up...

This was my experience; others might find them a godsend.
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Oct 2023, 5:33 pm

I have some sort of ebay knockoff. Some brands are heavy. I dont use my trigger stick for that reason.

TBH i think a set of long x sticks are almost just as good.

Edit; my long x stix are just made out of alloy tubing from an old TV arial.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 26 Oct 2023, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Billo » 26 Oct 2023, 5:37 pm

Not a fan of heavy tripods in the field so I made my own shooting sticks

I Grabbed a 6 x Carbon fibre arrows, loctited in some female inserts and now I cart around some 7 Oz shooting sticks, works well with mobs of pigs too
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Oct 2023, 5:51 pm

Billo wrote:Not a fan of heavy tripods in the field so I made my own shooting sticks

I Grabbed a 6 x Carbon fibre arrows, loctited in some female inserts and now I cart around some 7 Oz shooting sticks, works well with mobs of pigs too

:thumbsup: i have a short version of them made out of hollow fibre glass tent poles/frames.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Oct 2023, 5:56 pm

Here have a look at this.

diysticks.pdf
(701.28 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RunRabbit » 26 Oct 2023, 7:48 pm

Thanks for all of the feedback and Jorlcrin for the first hand feedback.

The main reason for a tripod is the Mrs doesn't have the confidence shooting offhand but basic x sticks might be a good compromise to get some stability without lugging around a whole tripod setup.
RunRabbit
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 26 Oct 2023, 8:09 pm

RunRabbit wrote:Thanks for all of the feedback and Jorlcrin for the first hand feedback.

The main reason for a tripod is the Mrs doesn't have the confidence shooting offhand but basic x sticks might be a good compromise to get some stability without lugging around a whole tripod setup.

Mine is light enough to sling over your shoulder, or you can sort of use it as a hiking stick, but having three feet on it is an issue. Then you grab it when you're approaching a shooting spot, lay the rifle forend in it and you can deploy it and fire within a matter of seconds. I just weighed mine at 1480gm, but it surprised me as it doesn't feel that heavy.

Coincidentally, the extended 25rd mags in the Ruger Precision Rimfire happen to fit in such away that the rifle stays on top, even in a decent breeze.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-10-26 210803.jpg
Screenshot 2023-10-26 210803.jpg (38.73 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Oct 2023, 8:49 pm

The long 1 piece alluminium ones are 270grams

The short folding fibreglass ones are 207grams. Made much the same as in the pdf attached earlier.

Resized_20231026_214326.jpeg
Resized_20231026_214326.jpeg (197.94 KiB) Viewed 1274 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jorlcrin » 27 Oct 2023, 6:46 am

Runrabbit,

Another suggestion for you.

I also have a really light tripod; Optex T-560.
Made from alloy tube, and has a carry handle at point of balance.
It has a pan/tilt head and a QD plate on top, which you could fit some sort of shooting yoke to.

Despite being ultra-light, this tripod also took the weight of my Ruger Precision Rifle.
I had to stop using it when the centre pole cracked, but that was after some 20+ years of being knocked around and not looked after.
Even now, if I can figure out how to dismantle the head, I'll try too re-build it with a replacement piece of tube, as it's been a great shooting rest.

Pretty sure my model's no longer made, but many of the Optex tripods look very similar to mine, and there are quite a few cheap ones on Gumtree that might be worth the punt.
Food for thought, anyway.
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Oct 2023, 8:22 am

Two lenghts of 1/2" dowel (will need a point or rubber knob) with 2-3 cable ties will do the trick.

Or perhaps you can try this tripod and report back.

tripod-shooting-sticks-1.pdf
(441.45 KiB) Downloaded 88 times

Or this one.

20200404_160219.jpeg.jpg
20200404_160219.jpeg.jpg (73.11 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RunRabbit » 28 Oct 2023, 4:56 pm

I bought some fibreglass tent poles and castration bands. If you didn't know that I was making sticks then it seems like a wild Saturday night.
RunRabbit
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Oct 2023, 6:07 pm

RunRabbit wrote:I bought some fibreglass tent poles and castration bands. If you didn't know that I was making sticks then it seems like a wild Saturday night.

Tried the castration bands. They work but just two cable ties work better.
IMO this is best option,
https://youtu.be/cN5FSYJvP9k?si=7aTKCah-PDEW22sv
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 06 Nov 2023, 10:58 am

G'day,

I have a Primos Trigger Stick. It's pretty slick, but I don't use it. I never feel completely stable shooting off a front rest alone when standing. I now use quad shooting sticks as the support at the rifle butt on my shoulder makes me steadier:

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.464be0b783d ... ImgRaw&r=0

I've been hitting foxes and hares out to 160+ yards consistently off the quad sticks at night using my .222 Rem rifles. I have two sets of Stable Sticks'. One set is very pricey and made of carbon fibre. The other set is made from aluminium alloy and much cheaper. Otherwise, they're identical. Both sets are very light weight, especially the carbon fibre set but I'm aware that carbon fibre can be crushed fairly easily.

I have made some shorter quad sticks rests out of 3/4" dowel for use when sitting. I have them placed around my property lying ready next to sections of tree stump I use as seats. Thus, I have a rest available if I am carrying my rifle but not carrying a rest. Several times I have spotted a fox and been able to creep to one of my shooting stations and set up on the fox and shoot.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by RunRabbit » 06 Nov 2023, 8:08 pm

I made a bipod with a tent pole and castration bands and some fuel line as a soft rest at the top. They feel pretty good but I'm headed out shooting next week so I'll try them in the field. I made them for the mrs but I'll probably make myself a set before we go too.
RunRabbit
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment