Ruger American aftermarket stock

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Ruger American aftermarket stock

Post by Shootermick » 29 Oct 2023, 2:08 pm

I really like my Ruger American Compact 243, apart from the stock. I’ve just moved my Hik Panther thermal onto it, and now I want to upgrade the stock a little. Because of the high mounting of the thermal, I’ll need a higher cheek piece. So I’m tossing up between a Magpul hunter or an Oryx. Got the Magpul on my 10/22, and it’s a nice comfortable design, but have only looked at the Oryx in shops.
Any opinions on the two?
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Ruger American aftermarket stock

Post by bladeracer » 29 Oct 2023, 8:26 pm

Shootermick wrote:I really like my Ruger American Compact 243, apart from the stock. I’ve just moved my Hik Panther thermal onto it, and now I want to upgrade the stock a little. Because of the high mounting of the thermal, I’ll need a higher cheek piece. So I’m tossing up between a Magpul hunter or an Oryx. Got the Magpul on my 10/22, and it’s a nice comfortable design, but have only looked at the Oryx in shops.
Any opinions on the two?

Our .243's are Predators rather than Compacts, but mine is in an MDT LSS chassis.
My brother put his in a Boyds stock, which wasn't great as it didn't have pillar blocks so the action screws just crush the soft wood.

I like the MDT chassis, but it does push the price up significantly. The .243 cost me $500 in March 2017. The chassis cost me $420 (I bought a bunch of them), and the accessories were about another $400-$500 (stock, buffer tube, pistol grip, mags, etc), and I bought cheap stuff, some people pay $600 for a stock, $200 for a grip. Prices are probably significantly higher nor but back then I worked out each rifle cost me about $1700 by the time it was complete (at least for the ones I paid retail for). With the rimfires that is a whole lot compared to the $800 Ruger Precision Rimfire, which I consider a better rifle. For the centrefires it was a significant saving over the Ruger Precision Rifle (about $2400 at the time). For somebody buying the expensive accessories it would close the gap up a lot and I think the RPR would be the better result. The MDT LSS chassis is hampered a bit ergonomically by having to mount AR15 buffer tubes while retaining the stock trigger pack of the rifles installed within - I don't know if the Oryx has the same issue.

I don't know what the market is like but it might be worth investigating a secondhand RPR rather than spend on modifying the Compact.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment