Recoil or muzzle blast most off-putting

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Recoil or muzzle blast most off-putting

Post by lowb » 05 Jun 2014, 11:38 am

G'day,

I'm pretty new to shooting. And doing my best to introduce a few friends to it too.

What to you guys find is most off-putting for new shoots? Recoil or muzzle blast?

I shot a .243 for the first time on the weekend and was more surprised by it than when I shot a .308 for the first time.

Not as much recoil, but much more blast.

A bloke at the range was nice enough to give me a go on his. Self described 'hot' loads so I'm sure that was something, but man it was noisy.

Startled me to be honest :lol:
lowb
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Recoil or muzzle blast most off-putting

Post by Baldrick314 » 05 Jun 2014, 12:14 pm

I think 243 is horrible for this reason, big bark for a medium calibre and huge muzzle blast.

For me it's definitely the muzzle blast that's more off putting but more so from someone else's rifle than the one I'm shooting
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Eduardo » 05 Jun 2014, 12:20 pm

In my limited experience I find that different people respond differently to shooting.

What I try to do when I'm introducing others to the sport is to diversify. People that are new to the sport couldn't care less about making a tight group on paper even though it is a life long pursuit to others.

Interactive targets seem to have the widest appeal. Shooting something that lets you know it's been hit seems to get the best reaction in my experience.

My range has gongs on it which I enjoy shooting. Moving targets like shooting trap are a good next step. But either way, don't assume that the way you enjoy shooting is the way others will enjoy it.

Be prepared to diversify, show them various angles to enjoying the sport.

That's my $.02
A volatile mixture of implacable OCD and vexatiuous ADD.
Eduardo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by Lorgar » 09 Jun 2014, 9:10 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:I think 243 is horrible for this reason, big bark for a medium calibre and huge muzzle blast.

The .243 does have some puff.

I've since sold mine but used to share a .308 and .243 with my partner.

When on a bench next to her when she was on the .308 I could shoot away no problems.

When she was on the .243 in the same place I'd shoot between her shots because of the blast of air I copped in the face every time she took a shot with it.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 09 Jun 2014, 9:11 pm

Oh an when hunting...

Standing parallel to one when it's fired while you have no ear muffs on is pretty great too...
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 10 Jun 2014, 10:42 am

Fun is a 22 any one can shoot it and shoot it well but the thing that most people that are new to shooting have a hard time with is recoil some new shooters are scared of it to the point they might not even want to shoot and when they do won't hit a thing.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by chacka » 10 Jun 2014, 1:56 pm

wrenchman wrote:the thing that most people that are new to shooting have a hard time with is recoil some new shooters are scared of it to the point they might not even want to shoot and when they do won't hit a thing.

I'd put my vote down for recoil as well, not muzzle blast.

I know it's not always ideal as not everyone has a range of rifles to step new shooters up one bit by bit... If you hunt only and only have a 300 win mag they that's what you can share with your new shooting friends, but it's not a great starting point.

Flinch is a bastard to unlearn once it's got its hooks in.

.243 definitely has blast, but recoil with light pills like 55gr stuff isn't too bad. I think most would be able to take that, especially if it's with starting loads.

Heavy pills and hot loads would be pushing it though... A hot 100gr .243 has a bit of both, especially for a novice.
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Shotfox » 10 Jun 2014, 2:05 pm

Trigger pull is another issue. If you do not know your trigger on a big calibre or watching someone else use the gun who is not aware of the pull can make an interesting funny home video. Especiall when they come up for air with scope bite.
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Octane » 10 Jun 2014, 2:05 pm

For muzzle blast you can always double up on your hearing protection - ear buds and ear muffs over the top.

A pair of safety glasses takes away the puff of air to the eyes too.

Recoil isn't so easily softened though.

I say recoil.
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by lowb » 10 Jun 2014, 2:06 pm

Good to know I'm not alone then, I think I'm now going with recoil too after a little more shooting on the weekend.

Not discounting stuff like the .243 though. It's definitely startling the when you're not used to shooting it.
lowb
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment