gun safe out of school locker

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

gun safe out of school locker

Post by armor117 » 09 Jun 2014, 10:34 am

hey every one just got my gun license class a/b got a bit board on the week end and make a old school locker in to my gun safe

how it started a $50 locker
cut a hole so i could Dyna Bolt it down
bit of spray paint didn't like the color
bit more spraying
made a plate up to cover the hole girlfriend got bored and covered it in a camo fabric
two more latch's added with the nut on the inside welded so it cant be undone

the whole thing cost me 100 bucks to make and took about 2 hours from start to finish let me know what you think
armor117
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: gun safe out of school locker

Post by handofcod » 09 Jun 2014, 11:06 am

Do you have a separate locked compartment for the ammo box?
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by armor117 » 09 Jun 2014, 11:45 am

yer just about to make a wooded ammo box with locks that will fix in the top half
armor117
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by MeccaOz » 09 Jun 2014, 12:27 pm

Looks good mate :) Being in WA Ours have to be like fort knox, gives you peace of mind, but costs, unless you can decipher the regs and know how to weld.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by armor117 » 09 Jun 2014, 12:45 pm

Yeah, in Vic it easier.

I have two well trained dogs looking after it as well.
armor117
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Turkle » 10 Jun 2014, 3:17 pm

Another DIY'er joins the ranks :D
Tikka T3 Super Varmint - .22-250 Rem
Marlin XS7 - 7mm-08
Winchester 1902 - .22
Burris Eliminator / Weaver Super Slam
Turkle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by nords » 10 Jun 2014, 3:18 pm

MeccaOz wrote:Looks good mate :) Being in WA Ours have to be like fort knox, gives you peace of mind, but costs, unless you can decipher the regs and know how to weld.

That's my excuse too :lol:

It's totally not because I'm useless and could never make this... :lol:
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by squirrelhunter » 10 Jun 2014, 3:19 pm

Looks good mate :)

Love the DIY.
Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308
Bushnell 3-9x 40mm - Multi-X
squirrelhunter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by balter » 10 Jun 2014, 3:20 pm

armor117 wrote:yer in Vic it easier i have two well trained dogs looking after it as well

You boys have got it good.

No chance of doing this out our way :(
balter
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Farmjer » 10 Jun 2014, 3:21 pm

Looks good mate.

Post the inbuilt ammo compartment when it's done too :D
Farmjer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Supporter » 10 Jun 2014, 3:23 pm

Quite a few safe makers on here now :D
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by paps » 10 Jun 2014, 3:24 pm

One more for the Great DIY thread - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1619
.257 Roberts Ruger Hawkeye
Burris Fullfield II 4.5x14-42mm
paps
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 10 Jun 2014, 6:20 pm

Good job on the adaptation of things you had at hand! Just a shame it'll be too small by the end of the year! :-D
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by armor117 » 10 Jun 2014, 7:44 pm

thz guys the ammo box will have to wait to the weekend flat out at work
armor117
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Jun 2014, 7:47 pm

Nice job mate, it came up a treat, not sure I'd be putting my firearms in it though, looks like it would be way to easy to break into for my liking.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Decoy » 10 Jun 2014, 9:58 pm

In NSW you can store A, B firearms in school lockers and many other enclosures with basic guidelines.

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/131178/Safe_Storage_Level_One_-_FACT_Sheet_-_March_2012.pdf
    When any firearm is not actually being used or carried, it must be stored in a locked receptacle of a type approved
    by the Commissioner of Police
    and that is constructed of hard wood or steel and not easily penetrable.
    If the receptacle weighs less than 150 kilograms when empty, it must be fixed in order to prevent its easy removal.
    The locks of such a receptacle must be of solid metal and be of a type approved by the Commissioner.
    Any ammunition for the firearm must be stored in a locked container of a type approved by the Commissioner.
    Ammunition may be kept in the receptacle with the firearms, but must be kept in a separate locked container
    within the receptacle.

The first problem you will run into is there is NO "type approved by the Commissioner." :?

The second problem you will run into is "must take all reasonable precautions
"Section 39 of the Firearms Act 1996"
What are the general requirements in relation to the safe keeping of firearms?
All licence holders in NSW are subject to the general requirement for safe storage of firearms under section 39 of the
Firearms Act 1996. Any person in possession of a firearm to ensure the firearm is
kept safely, is not lost or stolen and does not come into the possession of an unauthorised person.

The safe storage certificate issued by a licencing officer only indicates you have met the minimum storage requirements as required by legislation.
However if someone was to gain access to your firearms without your permission and depending on the severity of the incident ie, resulting in theft of your firearms or worse, a full investigation will be undertaken, and you could be found negligent if your storage was not reasonable.

cheers
Ned
Last edited by Decoy on 11 Jun 2014, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Decoy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 10 Jun 2014, 11:44 pm

nords wrote:
MeccaOz wrote:Looks good mate :) Being in WA Ours have to be like fort knox, gives you peace of mind, but costs, unless you can decipher the regs and know how to weld.

That's my excuse too :lol:

It's totally not because I'm useless and could never make this... :lol:

hahahaha I can weld ... as long as I have silicone and paint :lol:
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Apollo » 11 Jun 2014, 12:06 am

"Decoy".... the guy is in Victoria...!!!! What does the Act say there.

Personally, even in NSW you can store firearms in a "locked wooden box" ... Would I, no flaming way.

To the OP, it may be legal but gee, for a few more dollars than you have spent you get a much more
secure and tested container.

I know in rural NSW a few people that stored firearms in that type of locker, they were broken into very
easily and the contents stolen. One kept his licence, three did not and will not have a firearms for several
years. Not their mistake, just being cheap.

Get an approved Firearms Gun Safe. Save yourself the hassle and try not to penny pinch. Several years
is a long time.

BTW... Nice job, pretty.

I would use that to store my Ammo in but not Firearms.

Give me 5 minutes or less and the contents are gone, no noise, no fuss and I'm not a criminal.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Decoy » 11 Jun 2014, 9:15 am

Victoria has very similar laws to NSW, but surprisingly takes a less convoluted common sense approach with its legislation, places, the emphasis on the firearms owner to decide how much further security should be added to safely store the firearms.

Victorians should respect this common sense approach before your government is forced to complicate the laws by thinking for you.

There are two reasons you secure firearms;
1. To protect inexperienced family/children or visiting friends from picking up and handling firearms.
2. To prevent theft by unauthorised persons.

If that locker/safe was in a secure brick garage or locked steel shipping container where family/friends had access, but was locked at other times then it would suffice as safe storage.

In my opinion you should make the effort to upgrade your safe and possibly its location as soon as practical.
from what I can see in the photo:
1. The safe is stored in a very low security corrugated iron work shed with weather board doors, possibly on a rural or semi rural property.
2. The Hasp is incorrectly fitted to your locker, when locked the hasp flap should cover the fasteners on the hasp and the staple.
3. you have work tools in the same room as your safe that can be used to gain entry.

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/retrievemedia.asp?media_id=81634
SCHEDULE 4 STORAGE REQUIREMENTS Longarm licences for category A and B longarms
(1) The firearm must be stored in a receptacle—
(a) which is constructed of hard wood or steel that is not easily penetrable; and
(b) which, if it weighs less than 150 kilograms when it is empty, must be fixed to the frame of the floor or the wall of the premises where the firearm is kept in such a manner that it is not easily removable; and
(c) which, when any firearm is stored in it, is locked with a lock of sturdy construction.

(2) If more than 15 firearms are stored on the premises where the firearm is stored, the premises must be fitted with an intruder alarm system—
(a) the installation, maintenance and operation of which complies with Australian Standard 2201.1:2007 (as amended from time to time); and
(b) which, in the event of an intrusion, activates an audible alarm warning device and an external visible alarm warning light.
(3) Any cartridge ammunition for the firearm must be stored in a locked container separate from the receptacle in which the firearm must be stored.

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=36210
Other storage considerations
The above requirements are the minimum safekeeping standards that must be adhered to by licence holders. Licence holders are encouraged to take a common sense' approach and to be mindful of considerations over and above legislation to ensure firearms are not lost or stolen.

Ask yourself; is there anything more I can reasonably do to ensure my firearms cannot be lost or stolen?

In particular, care should be taken to avoid leaving firearms stored at unoccupied premises for extended durations, particularly in remote locations. Identifiers of the possible existence of firearms at a premise (such as firearm stickers on cars) should also be avoided.
Decoy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by scrolllock » 11 Jun 2014, 1:14 pm

Apollo wrote:the guy is in Victoria...!!!! What does the Act say there.

Off the top of my head I think it's "metal or wood that's not easily penetrable".

No specific requirements to match 99% sure.

Edit: Crap, never mind. Decoy beat me to posting it.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by armor117 » 11 Jun 2014, 2:23 pm

its in a shed there are tools but what people don't know it there is a alarm system only two way in two the shed they are all ways locked and the latch's are bolted and the nut welded so you can just unbolt them the lock on the door to the locker work's so there 3 lock to open the safe two on the shed doors then a alarm so if you get in to it with out your face on camera and two dogs biting the s**t out of you ill let you keep the guns
armor117
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by whert » 11 Jun 2014, 2:49 pm

armor117 wrote:its in a shed there are tools

As long as there are no proper cutting or prying tools I think that's fine?

No worries for hammers or screwdrivers and all the usual shed stuff.

If there are angle grinders or gas torches lying around though I think I've read that that's not taking 'reasonable precautions' and all the rest?
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Decoy » 11 Jun 2014, 3:20 pm

Sorry Armor117, I was just highlighting a few details you may have overlooked as a new shooter, I was not having a go at you, the locker has come up great and yes, it meets Victoria's minimum legislative requirements.

In NSW we have had a spate of gun thefts from rural properties, It is sugested that this may have been a result of unsecured firearms registry data getting in the wrong hands or just a someone breaking into an untended property, im sure these guys would also have had dogs and neighbours etc.

Also as suggested for a few dollars more you could have had a proper approved firearms safe, just did a search on Gumtree, there is a 7 gun safe for $150 in the Wollert VIC 3750 area.

The suggestions where to save you embarrassment and inconvenience both financially and in time if your firearms where to get stolen.

The rest is your call..
Decoy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by armor117 » 11 Jun 2014, 3:42 pm

wasn't have a go at any one just letting people know and i look for a cheap gun safe but am in mildura and there wasn't any cheap one so just made this for now when i have the money or need a bigger on am going to buy one i had a alarm system so installed that and it records to a hard drive and sends a text thz for the information but Decoy
armor117
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 11 Jun 2014, 6:14 pm

The important thing is whether YOU are happy with storing your firearms in there AND the locals are also happy WHEN they come to inspect.

Regardless of the alarm and the security of the shed; could YOU easily gain access without the keys?? If so use it to store your ammo, a couple of 12g cases do take up lots of room....

If you like I'll pm you a couple of tips....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 17 Jun 2014, 8:57 pm

I have my doubts that the two padlocks shown in the photo would be of an approved type. The shackle/shank is too exposed and too long and could be easily sawed or grinded. The case shoulders could be hammered too.

Have a look at the Lockwood type 290 and there is another type that has a very short shank but I can't think of the brand or model. just a thought.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by hiyoh » 17 Jun 2014, 9:13 pm

Fix up the padlocks and away you go then?

Still good work all round to me :)
hiyoh
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 18 Jun 2014, 11:44 am

hiyoh wrote:Fix up the padlocks and away you go then?

Still good work all round to me :)

Yep, Hiyoh, looks OK to me too.

How far are we supposed to go, if a person really wants to access a firearms locker/safe, they'll turn up with a grinder and oxy-acetylene torch!

The Greens policy is to store all weapons at a central location, like the local gun club and the firing mechanisms separate at a approved police station and as usual have provided no costings or details on how this bird brained idea will operate. What a smorgasbord that would be!

Cheers
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by hiyoh » 18 Jun 2014, 6:57 pm

I've read a few ones on country properties where there are less eyes on them of guys just feeding chains through windows into the house and ripping them out with cars on the other end.

And half the house :(

Can't turn your house into a fortress, like they say. If the fuzz say it's good enough it's good enough for me.
hiyoh
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bonibags » 14 Aug 2017, 8:48 pm

HI guys, sorry if this question has been answered previously, but is this legit in QLD?
Bonibags
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment