gun safe out of school locker

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: gun safe out of school locker

Post by Decoy » 11 Jun 2014, 9:15 am

Victoria has very similar laws to NSW, but surprisingly takes a less convoluted common sense approach with its legislation, places, the emphasis on the firearms owner to decide how much further security should be added to safely store the firearms.

Victorians should respect this common sense approach before your government is forced to complicate the laws by thinking for you.

There are two reasons you secure firearms;
1. To protect inexperienced family/children or visiting friends from picking up and handling firearms.
2. To prevent theft by unauthorised persons.

If that locker/safe was in a secure brick garage or locked steel shipping container where family/friends had access, but was locked at other times then it would suffice as safe storage.

In my opinion you should make the effort to upgrade your safe and possibly its location as soon as practical.
from what I can see in the photo:
1. The safe is stored in a very low security corrugated iron work shed with weather board doors, possibly on a rural or semi rural property.
2. The Hasp is incorrectly fitted to your locker, when locked the hasp flap should cover the fasteners on the hasp and the staple.
3. you have work tools in the same room as your safe that can be used to gain entry.

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/retrievemedia.asp?media_id=81634
SCHEDULE 4 STORAGE REQUIREMENTS Longarm licences for category A and B longarms
(1) The firearm must be stored in a receptacle—
(a) which is constructed of hard wood or steel that is not easily penetrable; and
(b) which, if it weighs less than 150 kilograms when it is empty, must be fixed to the frame of the floor or the wall of the premises where the firearm is kept in such a manner that it is not easily removable; and
(c) which, when any firearm is stored in it, is locked with a lock of sturdy construction.

(2) If more than 15 firearms are stored on the premises where the firearm is stored, the premises must be fitted with an intruder alarm system—
(a) the installation, maintenance and operation of which complies with Australian Standard 2201.1:2007 (as amended from time to time); and
(b) which, in the event of an intrusion, activates an audible alarm warning device and an external visible alarm warning light.
(3) Any cartridge ammunition for the firearm must be stored in a locked container separate from the receptacle in which the firearm must be stored.

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=36210
Other storage considerations
The above requirements are the minimum safekeeping standards that must be adhered to by licence holders. Licence holders are encouraged to take a common sense' approach and to be mindful of considerations over and above legislation to ensure firearms are not lost or stolen.

Ask yourself; is there anything more I can reasonably do to ensure my firearms cannot be lost or stolen?

In particular, care should be taken to avoid leaving firearms stored at unoccupied premises for extended durations, particularly in remote locations. Identifiers of the possible existence of firearms at a premise (such as firearm stickers on cars) should also be avoided.
Decoy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by scrolllock » 11 Jun 2014, 1:14 pm

Apollo wrote:the guy is in Victoria...!!!! What does the Act say there.

Off the top of my head I think it's "metal or wood that's not easily penetrable".

No specific requirements to match 99% sure.

Edit: Crap, never mind. Decoy beat me to posting it.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by armor117 » 11 Jun 2014, 2:23 pm

its in a shed there are tools but what people don't know it there is a alarm system only two way in two the shed they are all ways locked and the latch's are bolted and the nut welded so you can just unbolt them the lock on the door to the locker work's so there 3 lock to open the safe two on the shed doors then a alarm so if you get in to it with out your face on camera and two dogs biting the s**t out of you ill let you keep the guns
armor117
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by whert » 11 Jun 2014, 2:49 pm

armor117 wrote:its in a shed there are tools

As long as there are no proper cutting or prying tools I think that's fine?

No worries for hammers or screwdrivers and all the usual shed stuff.

If there are angle grinders or gas torches lying around though I think I've read that that's not taking 'reasonable precautions' and all the rest?
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Decoy » 11 Jun 2014, 3:20 pm

Sorry Armor117, I was just highlighting a few details you may have overlooked as a new shooter, I was not having a go at you, the locker has come up great and yes, it meets Victoria's minimum legislative requirements.

In NSW we have had a spate of gun thefts from rural properties, It is sugested that this may have been a result of unsecured firearms registry data getting in the wrong hands or just a someone breaking into an untended property, im sure these guys would also have had dogs and neighbours etc.

Also as suggested for a few dollars more you could have had a proper approved firearms safe, just did a search on Gumtree, there is a 7 gun safe for $150 in the Wollert VIC 3750 area.

The suggestions where to save you embarrassment and inconvenience both financially and in time if your firearms where to get stolen.

The rest is your call..
Decoy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by armor117 » 11 Jun 2014, 3:42 pm

wasn't have a go at any one just letting people know and i look for a cheap gun safe but am in mildura and there wasn't any cheap one so just made this for now when i have the money or need a bigger on am going to buy one i had a alarm system so installed that and it records to a hard drive and sends a text thz for the information but Decoy
armor117
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 11 Jun 2014, 6:14 pm

The important thing is whether YOU are happy with storing your firearms in there AND the locals are also happy WHEN they come to inspect.

Regardless of the alarm and the security of the shed; could YOU easily gain access without the keys?? If so use it to store your ammo, a couple of 12g cases do take up lots of room....

If you like I'll pm you a couple of tips....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 17 Jun 2014, 8:57 pm

I have my doubts that the two padlocks shown in the photo would be of an approved type. The shackle/shank is too exposed and too long and could be easily sawed or grinded. The case shoulders could be hammered too.

Have a look at the Lockwood type 290 and there is another type that has a very short shank but I can't think of the brand or model. just a thought.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by hiyoh » 17 Jun 2014, 9:13 pm

Fix up the padlocks and away you go then?

Still good work all round to me :)
hiyoh
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 18 Jun 2014, 11:44 am

hiyoh wrote:Fix up the padlocks and away you go then?

Still good work all round to me :)

Yep, Hiyoh, looks OK to me too.

How far are we supposed to go, if a person really wants to access a firearms locker/safe, they'll turn up with a grinder and oxy-acetylene torch!

The Greens policy is to store all weapons at a central location, like the local gun club and the firing mechanisms separate at a approved police station and as usual have provided no costings or details on how this bird brained idea will operate. What a smorgasbord that would be!

Cheers
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by hiyoh » 18 Jun 2014, 6:57 pm

I've read a few ones on country properties where there are less eyes on them of guys just feeding chains through windows into the house and ripping them out with cars on the other end.

And half the house :(

Can't turn your house into a fortress, like they say. If the fuzz say it's good enough it's good enough for me.
hiyoh
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bonibags » 14 Aug 2017, 8:48 pm

HI guys, sorry if this question has been answered previously, but is this legit in QLD?
Bonibags
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by JimmyS » 14 Aug 2017, 9:09 pm

Always wanted a tacticool DPCU carpeted rifle safe ;)
JimmyS
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 15 Aug 2017, 9:10 am

Whats tacticool nowdays? I think it would be like fashion driven by the TV program of the day. what about NCIS LA The Armory nice perspex back lit by blue or blacklight
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 15 Aug 2017, 12:11 pm

Bonibags wrote:HI guys, sorry if this question has been answered previously, but is this legit in QLD?

A school locker would not be "legit" in any state for firearm storage. In most states it would probably be okay for ammunition storage.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Aug 2017, 12:24 pm

«A school locker would not be "legit" in any state for firearm storage."

Sorry but I know someone that was inspected in Victoria not long ago and with two good padlocks on a work locker passed for firearm storage. I had one for years.
Having said that given the now reasonable prices for gun safes who would bother. And I suspect some cops would pass a locker and some fail one.

They are perfect for ammo.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Vati » 15 Aug 2017, 2:32 pm

It'll depend on the locker. That aren't all equal I'm sure.

I'm sure most of us are thinking about cheap and nasty school lockers which you can pry with a flat-head in 2 minutes flat.

If someone makes a locker that is solid enough though, why not.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by knowsnothin » 15 Aug 2017, 2:49 pm

i went to school once.

There wasn't a locker i couldn't put my foot through if i wanted what was inside

I would plan to upgrade as soon as funds allow.
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Aug 2017, 4:32 pm

knowsnothin wrote:i went to school once.

There wasn't a locker i couldn't put my foot through if i wanted what was inside

I would plan to upgrade as soon as funds allow.

Yep, some start cheap and upgrade later as the collection grows. Fair enough I say. I mean if you buy a cheaper 12g & 22rf, when you start
provided it keeps the kids out why would you spend $450 on a safe. Perhaps a second hand one for $180 but not $400. Safe would be worth more than the firearms.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 15 Aug 2017, 5:59 pm

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but as of this year the school lockers are not aloud and are being phased out in Vic because they are easily penetrable
I am being serious, ring your DFO and check, I am in the geelong region and the new DFO here is not allowing them any more, don't know about anywhere else in Vic

BTW I forgot to say good job and use this one for your ammo
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 15 Aug 2017, 7:44 pm

marksman wrote:sorry to be the bearer of bad news but as of this year the school lockers are not aloud and are being phased out in Vic because they are easily penetrable
I am being serious, ring your DFO and check, I am in the geelong region and the new DFO here is not allowing them any more, don't know about anywhere else in Vic

BTW I forgot to say good job and use this one for your ammo

They've already stepped up the security requirements in SA.
https://www.police.sa.gov.au/services-a ... anges-2017
Screenshot_2017-08-15-18-54-35.png
Screenshot_2017-08-15-18-54-35.png (584.05 KiB) Viewed 2670 times

Ho hum ... just a few more restrictions for lafos. We already have laws that make it illegal to steal. So what happens when laws don't work?... we make more laws.

I use to use a single steel locker but I upgraded when I heard that the NFA review would mean that storage requirements would be toughened up.
I also took the opportunity to move the safe into the house, mainly because it's a better environment for storage in there.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment