150kg+ safes getting stolen?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: 150kg+ safes getting stolen?

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Oct 2017, 8:14 am

Golf Balls!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Wombat » 19 Oct 2017, 4:34 pm

I would recommend moving a safe into a new house in a fridge box, that way no neighbors or passerby's see what it is. Admittedly I do live in a somewhat dodgy area,
I also have decoys with lengths of 1/2 and 3/4 SS bar stock in them so if they do get moved they will feel like they have guns in them. My active safe is not easy to find and would take a lot more effort to move.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Oct 2017, 5:55 pm

sungazer wrote:Thats boarding on what some would call paranoid. Get a dog they are great mates as well as good guardians.

Way past paranoid I reckon :lol: the dumb s**t people do - just cracks me up, next he will be telling us how he does contra driving techinques from the range and gunshop when he goes there :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Wombat » 19 Oct 2017, 7:39 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
sungazer wrote:Thats boarding on what some would call paranoid. Get a dog they are great mates as well as good guardians.

Way past paranoid I reckon :lol: the dumb s**t people do - just cracks me up, next he will be telling us how he does contra driving techinques from the range and gunshop when he goes there :lol:

I can see 2 drug houses from my front yard, and have a perverse sense of humour. My small backyard and frequent work travel preclude getting a dog again at the moment. Not paranoid, not stupid just realistic about my current housing.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 19 Oct 2017, 8:01 pm

Varmtr wrote:My safe is around the 380 - 420kg I did wieght it but can't remeber. But what I have done which maybe slightly illegal ( lol ) is electrified it with around 6000 volts. I wont go into details but as a ex sparky even if they turn the power off to the house your still going to be gotcha'd. Only myself knows how to disarm it also big sticker warning that volts and jolts are present. So if a would be burg still trys to make off with it he's going to have an electrifying time. lol.

This passes without comment? :unknown:
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Hugh » 02 Nov 2017, 4:31 pm

Hhhmmmm anybody heard the term mantrap?
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Hugh » 02 Nov 2017, 4:39 pm

Before I had my heart attack my safe weighs nearly 180kgs I was able to put on shoulder to get it into house,best if bolted as well.Reminds me of story in paper many years ago about a bloke stealing a ATM from Doncaster hotel last seen running across the hwy with it on his shoulder,who would want to catch him.
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 04 Nov 2017, 8:32 pm

According to the local policeman on TV the other night, the B n E mob up here just rip out the walls of the country houses to get the safes. Charming.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by holden4th » 05 Nov 2017, 7:21 pm

My pistol safe only weighs 20 kg. It is fixed to the floor of my garage with four dynabolts. Anyone with a long enough lever could probably uproot it.

However, It's not in plain view. It's basic but I've got it covered with a crappy old cardboard box that is surrounded by various other worthless things you'll find in a garage like old oil containers etc. Yes it, takes me a minute or so to access the safe but it's worth it in my opinion. I have plenty of stickers on my 4by but none of them relate to firearms. Someone I know has a licence plate that says REVOLVER. Dumb!
holden4th
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by agentzero » 05 Nov 2017, 9:54 pm

holden4th wrote:Someone I know has a licence plate that says REVOLVER. Dumb!

I'd never go a sticker on the car either.

Some will say it's being over cautious but whatever it makes the chances of an attempted robbery you can't deny it says "guns here" to anyone who sees it.
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Nov 2017, 5:02 am

agentzero wrote:

Some will say it's being over cautious but whatever it makes the chances of an attempted robbery you can't deny it says "guns here" to anyone who sees it.

Yeah those spotlights hanging out the roof are a dead giveaway along with those roo racks on the back.(I hope you blokes are super caution when coming back from a gun shop or range, god knows who could be following ya. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Wombat » 06 Nov 2017, 7:40 am

holden4th wrote: Someone I know has a licence plate that says REVOLVER. Dumb!

Beatles fan? :drinks:
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 06 Nov 2017, 7:47 am

bigfellascott wrote:
agentzero wrote:

Yeah those spotlights hanging out the roof are a dead giveaway along with those roo racks on the back.(I hope you blokes are super caution when coming back from a gun shop or range, god knows who could be following ya. :D

I'd say that it all depends on your location and circumstances. What would be over the top in one area is merely sensible elsewhere.
I've never been concerned about being followed anywhere, but also have no obvious signs that I have guns at my house.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Previous

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment