150kg+ safes getting stolen?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: 150kg+ safes getting stolen?

Post by kram » 13 Oct 2013, 2:28 am

I don't give a rats how heavy your safe is. A safe aint safe unless its attached to a pain in the arse factor,i.e. floor and wall,steel I beam,active volcano ,SAS command base,middle of a cage full of starving Hyenas, in orbit more than 46000 Kms outside the atmosphere, etc.

As soon as a some junkie ass thieving prick sees it , he/she is going to use your phone to see If he/she can get fast help to remove/get into it.

They know its a safe. They know without a doubt there is something fu*&%n good in there.

If there is a concrete floor, dyna bolt it down.
If timber,through the floor and a 6mill steel plate underneath it and weld at least two of the nuts so that you yourselves have to use a grinder to move it.

Stuff the owners/agents,there are ways to hide the holes when you leave.
kram
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Rocker » 13 Oct 2013, 7:33 am

kram wrote:I don't give a rats how heavy your safe is,a safe aint safe unless its attached to a pain in the arse factor,i.e. floor and wall,steel I beam,active volcano ,SAS command base,middle of a cage full of starving Hyenas, in orbit more than 46000 Kms outside the atmosphere, etc.

Mines bolted to an Apache Gunship.

No problems so far :lol:
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Oct 2013, 3:10 am

Hi,
I built my own, and it weighs 175 kg empty.
Once I got it to where I wanted it I put 6 sheets ( 1/4 sq metre each ) of 12 mm steel plate one on top of the other in the bottom.
Each one weighs 23.55 kgs.
Multiplied by 6 = 141.3 kgs.

All added, the end result is 316.3 kgs, and thats not counting the ammo in top compartment, or the firearms.

If I ever want to shift, I only have to take each sheet out to get it back to a manageable 175 kg.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Rakk » 30 Oct 2013, 6:21 am

Die Judicii wrote:If I ever want to shift, I only have to take each sheet out to get it back to a manageable 175 kg.

Smart :geek:
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by crs2379 » 09 Feb 2014, 10:04 am

:? :? :? :?
Last edited by crs2379 on 22 Sep 2018, 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
crs2379
Recruit
Recruit

South Africa

Post by sooey » 09 Feb 2014, 10:12 am

Die Judicii wrote:All added, the end result is 316.3 kgs, and thats not counting the ammo in top compartment, or the firearms.

If I ever want to shift, I only have to take each sheet out to get it back to a manageable 175 kg.

Mmm, clever. And a damn sight easier to move than 316kg I wager :lol:
Remington 700 CDL chambered in .270 Winchester
Remington 700 CDL chambered in 300 Win Mag
4-16x 40mm Bushnell Elite scopes
sooey
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by sooey » 09 Feb 2014, 10:14 am

crs2379 wrote:5 x steel plate 400x400x20mm, roughly 25kg each, and the safe weighs 38kg.

Yer, I don't see that going anywhere easily.
Remington 700 CDL chambered in .270 Winchester
Remington 700 CDL chambered in 300 Win Mag
4-16x 40mm Bushnell Elite scopes
sooey
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 09 Feb 2014, 1:32 pm

howtow wrote:
mel wrote:Ours is one of those old metal school lockers that paint etc was kept in. It didnt have a floor so my partner welded metal plates in for that.. we weighed the door and it was 70kg by itself, was insane.

I read something a while ago about a guy who had a old ATM converted into a gun safe. Just the door was 200kg or something, lol.

My pistol safe is an old night safe(many thanks to a reno crew and a carton) It weighs more than a 44 of oil and is 3/8 plate all side with a 5/8 plate door. I still bolted it down(and left the explosive dye marker setup in place) after the Police said it needed to be(I could have argued but is there any point in the long run).

FWIW be aware that some professional criminals if they come across a gun safe or any safe indeed they will back out if they think they will go undetected and come back another time better prepared. If they have actually broken in they will take a high value easily resold item making it look like kids or druggies and go marking the place for targeting in a few months time.

We staked out a mates mums place when she was on holiday(they broke in and it would have gone undetected other than he knew her keys were on the rack where he had left them after dropping her off at the airport) and caught them a few nights later. The Police said this was common place.
Last edited by Warrigul on 10 Feb 2014, 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 09 Feb 2014, 4:06 pm

Living with & having police officers in the family often gives us a first hand account of what really happens when ones safe goes missing.

There have been times when people have been followed home from gun shops & ranges or simply noticing all the stickers that are on the back window of your car.

Then they simply wait until everyone is gone & go in with a furniture trolley & a pinch bar to pry it apart between the concrete & safe.

If they want it bad enough they will get it.

Also telling people on a open forum how your safe is bolted down or how thick it is really isn't the greatest of ideas.
Member-Deleted

Post by Broom » 09 Feb 2014, 8:37 pm

I've thought about chucking a sticker or two on the car but that's what concerned me.

It highlights the fact you've got guns in the house as you say.

TBH not so fussed about sharing a pic or two on the forum though, as long as you don't post your address (which would be stupid...) I can't see the harm.

Just says you're in QLD or TAS etc. Hardly narrows it down :P
Ruger Gunsite Scout in three oh eight. Oh yeah!
Broom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Feb 2014, 8:36 am

Good point broom, but what happens when you mention the range you go to or your lgs by name & the car you drive. All it takes is someone to put it all together! People show photos & mention different places all the time on these forums. Just be careful what you say & show is what I'm getting at.
Member-Deleted

Post by Chickenhawk » 10 Feb 2014, 9:38 am

I'm surprised the car/sticker thing doesn't happen more often TBH.

There is a bloke near my who is obviously mad for pig hunting.

Half a dozen Winchester stickers, vanity plates about pig hunting, seriously 3-4 stickers on every side of the car. I don't know the guy but from seeing his rig I doubt he just has 1 rifle at home, I expect there is a decent cache there...

I've seen him around for a few years and he's still sporting the stickers so obviously doesn't feel they're causing him any trouble though.
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Blackened » 11 Feb 2014, 11:39 am

Jaso wrote:Also telling people on a open forum how your safe is bolted down or how thick it is really isn't the greatest of ideas.

Short of giving our your address with it, there shouldn't be much worry about posting pictures on the forum.

As you may recall when you joined, all the site asks for is your state. It doesn't record any address details, phone number, real name etc. so there isn't any sensitive data to be compromised.

If someone did have a lapse of judgement and post their address for some reason, a mod would remove the information as soon as it was found.

It hasn't happened to date. I'm glad to say that common sense usually prevails from all our forum members.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by gazza » 11 Feb 2014, 4:53 pm

Hiding your keys in a place where nobody else will find them but you still can.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Warrigul » 11 Feb 2014, 7:11 pm

gazza wrote:Hiding your keys in a place where nobody else will find them but you still can.

My biggest problem is hiding things in places where nobody but me can find them and me not being able to find them myself in three weeks time.

Time and time again I do it.............................
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by redrum » 11 Feb 2014, 8:10 pm

Someone needs a gun safe with a keypad :P
Good news, everyone!
- Hubert J. Farnsworth
redrum
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Supporter » 12 Feb 2014, 12:19 pm

Blackened wrote:As you may recall when you joined, all the site asks for is your state. It doesn't record any address details, phone number, real name etc. so there isn't any sensitive data to be compromised.

I reckon the forum is an elaborate 'Gone in 60 seconds' style robbery in motion.

You get our details then rob us all at once before we know what's happening :P
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Vati » 12 Feb 2014, 9:46 pm

I'm totally convinced that's what's happening here...
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pajamatime » 16 Feb 2014, 10:34 am

crs2379 wrote:I did something similar with a cheap safe, as I'm renting I didn't want to drill through the floor, and we'll be moving again soon so I wanted something I could take apart without too much trouble;

5 x steel plate 400x400x20mm, roughly 25kg each, and the safe weighs 38kg.

I want to do this but wondering where to get cheap steel plates similar to the ones in your picture any tips would be great!
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Seconds » 16 Feb 2014, 2:39 pm

It's not cheap to get them made specially. One of the guys was on here about getting some 25mm sheets cut down for centre fire plinking targets.

For a 120cm x 90cm sheet (or some size like that) it was about $1,200 plus the cost of cutting it :?

Google for a steel sheet metal place near you and give them a call and see if you can get some off cuts or something.

Hopefully only cost you a fraction of that,
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pajamatime » 17 Feb 2014, 10:47 am

Seconds wrote:It's not cheap to get them made specially. One of the guys was on here about getting some 25mm sheets cut down for centre fire plinking targets.

For a 120cm x 90cm sheet (or some size like that) it was about $1,200 plus the cost of cutting it :?

Google for a steel sheet metal place near you and give them a call and see if you can get some off cuts or something.

Hopefully only cost you a fraction of that,

fark I be best just going and buying a super heavy gun safe for about 700ish-1000 dollars lol
maybe offcuts who knows
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Seconds » 17 Feb 2014, 5:44 pm

That's about the sum of it.

Off the stop of my head the Spika SCH1 which is 155kg is about $990.

The SFB1 which is 270kg and fire resistant is $1350 (and a pretty decent unit for that price I think).

If you can pick up some bits of scrap to bolt it through on the cheap then happy days. You'd be crazy to buy new materials and have them cut down for the project though.

Cheaper and better to buy either of the above.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Varmtr » 19 Feb 2014, 6:06 pm

My safe is around the 380 - 420kg I did wieght it but can't remeber. But what I have done which maybe slightly illegal ( lol ) is electrified it with around 6000 volts. I wont go into details but as a ex sparky even if they turn the power off to the house your still going to be gotcha'd. Only myself knows how to disarm it also big sticker warning that volts and jolts are present. So if a would be burg still trys to make off with it he's going to have an electrifying time. lol.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Weepy » 20 Feb 2014, 8:25 am

420kg... What the hell did you weigh it on? :lol:
Weatherby Mark V Accumark 7mm Rem. Mag.
Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40mm

Browning BL-22 .22LR
Weepy
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Varmtr » 20 Feb 2014, 3:37 pm

I had to weigh individual parts like frame, door, side plates, back plate etc etc. Then I borrowed my mates load cell when I lifted it, the old garage roofing truss had to braced with some 4"x4" red gum as well. LOL
Getting it into the house, thats was a lot of fun.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Fry » 20 Feb 2014, 5:49 pm

Someone needs to get cracking on hover boards or something for moving these things :lol:
Fry
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 21 Feb 2014, 11:58 am

I think rolling them on pipes is about as 'hover' as we're going to get :(
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by teekay0 » 22 Feb 2014, 11:22 am

hi sooey
Great question Mate
I know safes obviously do get broken into or stolen (feel free to leave the obvious responses of "all safes can be broken into" out), but do many 150kg+ jobbies actually go walk about?

Id love to know, cause i went the same way you about to go. I purchased a 200 kg+ safe and live in a rental too.

One thing I do know, I wouldn't buy a safe under 200kg or under $1500 or Not have them rifles /guns Insured . I have all my guns insured on my Household insurance , just in case . Touch wood :P
cheers
tk0
God Forgives All Trespasses , I dont I shoot them

Tikka Super Varmint .260rem Sightron SIII 8-32x56 LRMD
Savage Axis Camo .243w Redfield 3-9x42 D.N.S
Boito O/U 12 Ga
BSA SuperSport XL .22 4x40 Nikko Stirling
Mossberg H V 22lr 3-9x40 Bushnell
teekay0
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Norton » 22 Feb 2014, 8:43 pm

Insurance is still a must IMO.

Content insurance is so cheap (in my experience) but saves you a potential fortune if you get done over.

Mine's less than $400 a year to insure a lifetimes worth of collected stuff. Couldn't afford to replace half my stuff should the worst happen.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by crs2379 » 09 Mar 2014, 9:58 pm

pajamatime wrote:I want to do this but wondering where to get cheap steel plates similar to the ones in your picture any tips would be great!

The five plates all up cost me $363, and I did the drilling myself and welding done by a guy at my work, so that didn't cost me anything. The safe itself cost me $260. So it's not far off the $990 price tag of a spika safe over 150kg (which I actually really wanted). The issue I had with getting one of those is finding someone to deliver and delivery cost, I may consider going for one later on if I work up a larger collection of arms.
crs2379
Recruit
Recruit

South Africa

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment