150kg+ safes getting stolen?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: 150kg+ safes getting stolen?

Post by pajamatime » 16 Feb 2014, 10:34 am

crs2379 wrote:I did something similar with a cheap safe, as I'm renting I didn't want to drill through the floor, and we'll be moving again soon so I wanted something I could take apart without too much trouble;

5 x steel plate 400x400x20mm, roughly 25kg each, and the safe weighs 38kg.

I want to do this but wondering where to get cheap steel plates similar to the ones in your picture any tips would be great!
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Seconds » 16 Feb 2014, 2:39 pm

It's not cheap to get them made specially. One of the guys was on here about getting some 25mm sheets cut down for centre fire plinking targets.

For a 120cm x 90cm sheet (or some size like that) it was about $1,200 plus the cost of cutting it :?

Google for a steel sheet metal place near you and give them a call and see if you can get some off cuts or something.

Hopefully only cost you a fraction of that,
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pajamatime » 17 Feb 2014, 10:47 am

Seconds wrote:It's not cheap to get them made specially. One of the guys was on here about getting some 25mm sheets cut down for centre fire plinking targets.

For a 120cm x 90cm sheet (or some size like that) it was about $1,200 plus the cost of cutting it :?

Google for a steel sheet metal place near you and give them a call and see if you can get some off cuts or something.

Hopefully only cost you a fraction of that,

fark I be best just going and buying a super heavy gun safe for about 700ish-1000 dollars lol
maybe offcuts who knows
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Seconds » 17 Feb 2014, 5:44 pm

That's about the sum of it.

Off the stop of my head the Spika SCH1 which is 155kg is about $990.

The SFB1 which is 270kg and fire resistant is $1350 (and a pretty decent unit for that price I think).

If you can pick up some bits of scrap to bolt it through on the cheap then happy days. You'd be crazy to buy new materials and have them cut down for the project though.

Cheaper and better to buy either of the above.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Varmtr » 19 Feb 2014, 6:06 pm

My safe is around the 380 - 420kg I did wieght it but can't remeber. But what I have done which maybe slightly illegal ( lol ) is electrified it with around 6000 volts. I wont go into details but as a ex sparky even if they turn the power off to the house your still going to be gotcha'd. Only myself knows how to disarm it also big sticker warning that volts and jolts are present. So if a would be burg still trys to make off with it he's going to have an electrifying time. lol.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Weepy » 20 Feb 2014, 8:25 am

420kg... What the hell did you weigh it on? :lol:
Weatherby Mark V Accumark 7mm Rem. Mag.
Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40mm

Browning BL-22 .22LR
Weepy
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Varmtr » 20 Feb 2014, 3:37 pm

I had to weigh individual parts like frame, door, side plates, back plate etc etc. Then I borrowed my mates load cell when I lifted it, the old garage roofing truss had to braced with some 4"x4" red gum as well. LOL
Getting it into the house, thats was a lot of fun.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Fry » 20 Feb 2014, 5:49 pm

Someone needs to get cracking on hover boards or something for moving these things :lol:
Fry
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 21 Feb 2014, 11:58 am

I think rolling them on pipes is about as 'hover' as we're going to get :(
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by teekay0 » 22 Feb 2014, 11:22 am

hi sooey
Great question Mate
I know safes obviously do get broken into or stolen (feel free to leave the obvious responses of "all safes can be broken into" out), but do many 150kg+ jobbies actually go walk about?

Id love to know, cause i went the same way you about to go. I purchased a 200 kg+ safe and live in a rental too.

One thing I do know, I wouldn't buy a safe under 200kg or under $1500 or Not have them rifles /guns Insured . I have all my guns insured on my Household insurance , just in case . Touch wood :P
cheers
tk0
God Forgives All Trespasses , I dont I shoot them

Tikka Super Varmint .260rem Sightron SIII 8-32x56 LRMD
Savage Axis Camo .243w Redfield 3-9x42 D.N.S
Boito O/U 12 Ga
BSA SuperSport XL .22 4x40 Nikko Stirling
Mossberg H V 22lr 3-9x40 Bushnell
teekay0
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Norton » 22 Feb 2014, 8:43 pm

Insurance is still a must IMO.

Content insurance is so cheap (in my experience) but saves you a potential fortune if you get done over.

Mine's less than $400 a year to insure a lifetimes worth of collected stuff. Couldn't afford to replace half my stuff should the worst happen.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by crs2379 » 09 Mar 2014, 9:58 pm

pajamatime wrote:I want to do this but wondering where to get cheap steel plates similar to the ones in your picture any tips would be great!

The five plates all up cost me $363, and I did the drilling myself and welding done by a guy at my work, so that didn't cost me anything. The safe itself cost me $260. So it's not far off the $990 price tag of a spika safe over 150kg (which I actually really wanted). The issue I had with getting one of those is finding someone to deliver and delivery cost, I may consider going for one later on if I work up a larger collection of arms.
crs2379
Recruit
Recruit

South Africa

Post by Rocker » 10 Mar 2014, 9:04 am

Labour is where this will kill ya.

Without the drilling and freebie on the welding like crs2379 had the hook up for, you'd be paying more than the cost of a new safe in materials and hourly labour I reckon :(

Plus all the mucking around...
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by 1sikxt » 11 Mar 2014, 12:34 pm

crs2379 wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:Hi,
I built my own, and it weighs 175 kg empty.
Once I got it to where I wanted it I put 6 sheets ( 1/4 sq metre each ) of 12 mm steel plate one on top of the other in the bottom.
Each one weighs 23.55 kgs.
Multiplied by 6 = 141.3 kgs.

All added, the end result is 316.3 kgs, and thats not counting the ammo in top compartment, or the firearms.

If I ever want to shift, I only have to take each sheet out to get it back to a manageable 175 kg.

I did something similar with a cheap safe, as I'm renting I didn't want to drill through the floor, and we'll be moving again soon so I wanted something I could take apart without too much trouble;

5 x steel plate 400x400x20mm, roughly 25kg each, and the safe weighs 38kg.

I no when I done my safety coarse the officer actually specifically specified you couldn't just put steel plates in the bottom toake it heavier I'm in vic by the way so maybe different in other states
Howa 204 varmint
Anschütz 1530 222
Savage 12 223
Weatherby 22-250
Savage custom 10 243
Savage 10 308
Savage 12 308
Savage 110 338 lap fcp
Lithgow 22
Brno 1 22
Webley and scott 12g
1sikxt
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Arth » 11 Mar 2014, 2:31 pm

I believe the way it's worded is the safe must be "150kg when empty" which as you say,putting weights inside wouldn't cut the mustard.

If the weight is bolted on though, and bolted on in a manner which complies with bolting it to a structure... Not sure if that's covered specifically...

Having said that though no accepting weight inside a safe is pretty stupid IMO. If they have opened the safe to get the weights out obviously making the safe lighter at that point doesn't matter because the door is already off and they'll just take the guns.

Politician logic I guess...
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by D9er72 » 12 Mar 2014, 4:14 pm

Back in the 90s I was shearing in Sw Wa and theves smashed a wall around a safe put a chain around it and pulled the safe and half the guys house out with his tractor Dragged down to his shed ripped his shed open the used his cutting gear to get guns out ! Cops did find them a few year later with a heap of other guns , word was that they got there info off police files ???
D9er72
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by SendIt » 13 Mar 2014, 11:05 am

TBH I think the "got info from police" theory is pretty over blown.

Whenever anything's stolen (some) people immediately get stuck into the firearms registries and how they're crap and everything's their fault etc. without anything to suggest they actually had anything to do with it at all.

I realise there were the issues in NSW with the unsecured registry for a time, and I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but IMO too many people are keen to instantly blame the everything on the registries without considering any other options.

Really, there are tonnes of easier ways for crims to find a LAFO. e.g.

Following someone home from a range or store.
Looking out for anyone with a Winchester or Browning sticker on their vehicle, whatever brand of sticker...
Really, pick any farm at random and it's likely to have a few rifles.
Someone was mouthing off to their neighbours or strangers that they're a shooter.
I'm sure you could think of more if you tried...

Out of curiosity, do you remember who the guys they caught were in relation to the farmer in the incident you mentioned?

If they came prepared to smash a wall around the safe (and knew were the safe was), knowing how to drive a tractor, and prepared to drag it to the shed where they new tools were available, it sounds a lot like they had knowledge ahead of time. Where they the guys neighbours or something? Or locals?

Obviously the WA firearms registry records don't say "Safe is at south east wall - double brick, tractor keys in the kitchen draw, cutting tools in the shed 50m down the road, owner out between 8am and 3pm Wednesdays etc."

If you get my drift...

Anyway, just my thoughts on avoiding turning these things into a registry bitch-festival for no reason.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harper » 14 Mar 2014, 10:45 am

SendIt wrote:Looking out for anyone with a Winchester or Browning sticker on their vehicle, whatever brand of sticker...

That's something I'm not keen on.

Basically a big sign parked in your front yard that says "guns here".
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by AnotherMisfire » 11 Dec 2016, 1:06 pm

Weepy wrote:420kg... What the hell did you weigh it on? :lol:

Please tell me I'm not the only one whose mind jumped to "Yo Momma's scales!".

On a serious note, the three ways guns get stolen (ignoring targeted hits) are - guns weren't locked up, safe gets jemmed or ripped out and...

Number 1...

Found keys.

I've never heard of a non-targeted job where a 150k plus safe has been stolen.

Usually it's some punk ass kids or druggies who come looking for jewellery and cash and the guns aren't secured well enough.

No methhead wants to be in a house long enough to figure out how to get 200kg of steel out.

-AM
AnotherMisfire
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by AnotherMisfire » 11 Dec 2016, 1:10 pm

Arth wrote:I believe the way it's worded is the safe must be "150kg when empty" which as you say,putting weights inside wouldn't cut the mustard.

If the weight is bolted on though, and bolted on in a manner which complies with bolting it to a structure... Not sure if that's covered specifically...

Having said that though no accepting weight inside a safe is pretty stupid IMO. If they have opened the safe to get the weights out obviously making the safe lighter at that point doesn't matter because the door is already off and they'll just take the guns.

Politician logic I guess...

I once asked the registry about this and they said the weights inside counted.

Common sense prevails sometimes :)
AnotherMisfire
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by AnotherMisfire » 11 Dec 2016, 3:05 pm

Queensland.

I might see if I can get it in writing for y'all.
AnotherMisfire
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by AnotherMisfire » 12 Dec 2016, 9:09 am

Agreed - I'm the same...

After looking around at my gym weights I realised I wouldn't have space left after sticking 150k in
AnotherMisfire
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Bourt » 12 Dec 2016, 11:08 am

AnotherMisfire wrote:
bentaz wrote:
AnotherMisfire wrote:I once asked the registry about this and they said the weights inside counted.

Common sense prevails sometimes :)

Can i ask what state that was please mate?

Queensland.

I might see if I can get it in writing for y'all.

Not having a go here mate but a verbal answer from the registry can be as good as worthless.

If it turns out you've accidentally done something illegal "some guy at the registry told me" is no defence.

This is direct from QLDPOL website.

If the container used for storing these firearms weighs less than 150kg, it must be securely fixed to the frame or floor of a permanent building;

I don't know if others are reading that differently but there is nothing open to interpretation there as I read it.

A 50kg container with 100kg of weights in it is still a 50kg container, and therefore is "less than 150kg".

I agree with you common sense should prevail, but the letter of the laws doesn't always follow that.

Follow it up, get something in writing and a source for the information, e.g. quotation from weapons act.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by southeast varmiter » 19 Oct 2017, 7:15 am

Blackened wrote:
Jaso wrote:Also telling people on a open forum how your safe is bolted down or how thick it is really isn't the greatest of ideas.

Short of giving our your address with it, there shouldn't be much worry about posting pictures on the forum.

As you may recall when you joined, all the site asks for is your state. It doesn't record any address details, phone number, real name etc. so there isn't any sensitive data to be compromised.

If someone did have a lapse of judgement and post their address for some reason, a mod would remove the information as soon as it was found.

It hasn't happened to date. I'm glad to say that common sense usually prevails from all our forum members.

Most don’t realise mobile phone pics contain geodata.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Oct 2017, 8:14 am

Golf Balls!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Wombat » 19 Oct 2017, 4:34 pm

I would recommend moving a safe into a new house in a fridge box, that way no neighbors or passerby's see what it is. Admittedly I do live in a somewhat dodgy area,
I also have decoys with lengths of 1/2 and 3/4 SS bar stock in them so if they do get moved they will feel like they have guns in them. My active safe is not easy to find and would take a lot more effort to move.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Oct 2017, 5:55 pm

sungazer wrote:Thats boarding on what some would call paranoid. Get a dog they are great mates as well as good guardians.

Way past paranoid I reckon :lol: the dumb s**t people do - just cracks me up, next he will be telling us how he does contra driving techinques from the range and gunshop when he goes there :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Wombat » 19 Oct 2017, 7:39 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
sungazer wrote:Thats boarding on what some would call paranoid. Get a dog they are great mates as well as good guardians.

Way past paranoid I reckon :lol: the dumb s**t people do - just cracks me up, next he will be telling us how he does contra driving techinques from the range and gunshop when he goes there :lol:

I can see 2 drug houses from my front yard, and have a perverse sense of humour. My small backyard and frequent work travel preclude getting a dog again at the moment. Not paranoid, not stupid just realistic about my current housing.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 19 Oct 2017, 8:01 pm

Varmtr wrote:My safe is around the 380 - 420kg I did wieght it but can't remeber. But what I have done which maybe slightly illegal ( lol ) is electrified it with around 6000 volts. I wont go into details but as a ex sparky even if they turn the power off to the house your still going to be gotcha'd. Only myself knows how to disarm it also big sticker warning that volts and jolts are present. So if a would be burg still trys to make off with it he's going to have an electrifying time. lol.

This passes without comment? :unknown:
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Hugh » 02 Nov 2017, 4:31 pm

Hhhmmmm anybody heard the term mantrap?
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria