150kg+ safes getting stolen?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

150kg+ safes getting stolen?

Post by sooey » 18 Sep 2013, 9:24 pm

I'm in the market for a new safe and figure it's time to get something decent, not just a 'lock box' type get up like I have now.

Probably looking at something in the 150kg+ range as between myself and some house mates we're likely to need something that size as we all gear up, and we're about to move into a rental with a fussy owner so drilling holes in the floor could be problematic.

Got me wondering about how safe the 150kg mark really is...

I know safes obviously do get broken into or stolen (feel free to leave the obvious responses of "all safes can be broken into" out), but do many 150kg+ jobbies actually go walk about?

I'd have though the regular gun locker type get-ups would be the worse for theft stats?

Anyone know particular examples of a 150kg safe getting stolen when not bolted down?

Just curious... Cheers.
Remington 700 CDL chambered in .270 Winchester
Remington 700 CDL chambered in 300 Win Mag
4-16x 40mm Bushnell Elite scopes
sooey
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: 150kg+ safes getting stolen?

Post by Norton » 18 Sep 2013, 9:33 pm

I forget where this was exactly, I think it was a shooting club or something here in NSW a couple of years ago where they had one with a couple of the staffs rifles in it and a pair of thieves made off with it by tumbling it top over bottom to "roll" it out of the place.

They got away with it if I recall correctly... Wracking my brain but can't remember the place exactly...
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Herdsman » 19 Sep 2013, 2:28 pm

Norton wrote:I forget where this was exactly, I think it was a shooting club or something here in NSW a couple of years ago where they had one with a couple of the staffs rifles in it and a pair of thieves made off with it by tumbling it top over bottom to "roll" it out of the place.

That was a targeted theft though obviously... Some random burglar likely isn't going to be prepared to remove a 150kg safe if they stumble across one in your house.

They're usually just looking for portable valuables they can quickly walk away with.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Herdsman » 19 Sep 2013, 2:30 pm

Point being sooey, I think you can feel pretty safe having one.

Unless you're doing something stupid like spouting all over town about how you have a 150kg safe full of guns that's not bolted down, a random thief isn't going to be prepared/able to take it.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by ebr love » 19 Sep 2013, 2:39 pm

Herdsman wrote:Unless you're doing something stupid like spouting all over town about how you have a 150kg safe full of guns that's not bolted down, a random thief isn't going to be prepared/able to take it.

Oh, so I should take down that sign I put in my front yard? :lol:
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Atter » 19 Sep 2013, 2:53 pm

ebr love wrote:Oh, so I should take down that sign I put in my front yard? :lol:

Take down the "free guns" sign, put up the "angry dog" sign :P
Tikka T3 Hunter .260 Remington
Tikka T3 Sporter 6.5x55 SE
CZ 513 .22LR
Atter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by lole » 22 Sep 2013, 8:06 am

I've read of a 2-3 incident over the years, but they were always targeted robberies.

From either gun shops, gun smiths or ranges etc. Never one that was a random burglary where someone came across the safe I don't think?
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jessie » 24 Sep 2013, 12:04 pm

It's not going to get taken unless you're the victim of a targeted break in.

Obviously if you stumble across a 150kg safe you're not going to just pop it up onto your shoulder and just carry it away :D

4 bolt holes in the concrete shouldn't be a big deal though? You can always fill them in after you leave the rental...
Jessie
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by remnt » 24 Sep 2013, 1:21 pm

Jessie wrote:Obviously if you stumble across a 150kg safe you're not going to just pop it up onto your shoulder and just carry it away :D

I dunno... A few trips to the gym to bulk up and you might be right with it :lol:
CZ 453 .17 HMR
Mossberg 183T 410 Bore
Savage 10FP .308 Win
remnt
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by lole » 24 Sep 2013, 1:27 pm

remnt wrote:I dunno... A few trips to the gym to bulk up and you might be right with it :lol:

Slam down a can of spinach first, pick it up easy :D
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Aster » 24 Sep 2013, 1:37 pm

remnt wrote:I dunno... A few trips to the gym to bulk up and you might be right with it :lol:

I think you've got "gym"and "the guy in the alley who sells steroids" confused.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by mel » 02 Oct 2013, 8:28 pm

Ours is about 240kg empty, if they can move it when it's full then good luck to them!!
mel
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 02 Oct 2013, 9:05 pm

mel wrote:Ours is about 240kg empty, if they can move it when it's full then good luck to them!!

I reckon that's about the sweet spot without going crazy.

When I upgrade my safe in the future I've got my eye on the 270kg Spika SFB1
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by mel » 02 Oct 2013, 9:17 pm

Ours is one of those old metal school lockers that paint etc was kept in. It didnt have a floor so my partner welded metal plates in for that.. we weighed the door and it was 70kg by itself, was insane.
Thinking about it, it would be a fair bit more now as it's been lined with timber and carpeted etc. I dread having to move it when the time comes!!
mel
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by howtow » 02 Oct 2013, 9:23 pm

mel wrote:Ours is one of those old metal school lockers that paint etc was kept in. It didnt have a floor so my partner welded metal plates in for that.. we weighed the door and it was 70kg by itself, was insane.

I read something a while ago about a guy who had a old ATM converted into a gun safe. Just the door was 200kg or something, lol.
howtow
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by mel » 02 Oct 2013, 9:25 pm

Oh that would be awesome!! :D
mel
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Blackened » 02 Oct 2013, 9:38 pm

mel wrote:Oh that would be awesome!! :D

An you were just complaining about your 240kg safe :P
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by mel » 02 Oct 2013, 9:42 pm

I know, but that's so much cooler than a school locker Lmao
mel
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by kram » 13 Oct 2013, 2:28 am

I don't give a rats how heavy your safe is. A safe aint safe unless its attached to a pain in the arse factor,i.e. floor and wall,steel I beam,active volcano ,SAS command base,middle of a cage full of starving Hyenas, in orbit more than 46000 Kms outside the atmosphere, etc.

As soon as a some junkie ass thieving prick sees it , he/she is going to use your phone to see If he/she can get fast help to remove/get into it.

They know its a safe. They know without a doubt there is something fu*&%n good in there.

If there is a concrete floor, dyna bolt it down.
If timber,through the floor and a 6mill steel plate underneath it and weld at least two of the nuts so that you yourselves have to use a grinder to move it.

Stuff the owners/agents,there are ways to hide the holes when you leave.
kram
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Rocker » 13 Oct 2013, 7:33 am

kram wrote:I don't give a rats how heavy your safe is,a safe aint safe unless its attached to a pain in the arse factor,i.e. floor and wall,steel I beam,active volcano ,SAS command base,middle of a cage full of starving Hyenas, in orbit more than 46000 Kms outside the atmosphere, etc.

Mines bolted to an Apache Gunship.

No problems so far :lol:
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Oct 2013, 3:10 am

Hi,
I built my own, and it weighs 175 kg empty.
Once I got it to where I wanted it I put 6 sheets ( 1/4 sq metre each ) of 12 mm steel plate one on top of the other in the bottom.
Each one weighs 23.55 kgs.
Multiplied by 6 = 141.3 kgs.

All added, the end result is 316.3 kgs, and thats not counting the ammo in top compartment, or the firearms.

If I ever want to shift, I only have to take each sheet out to get it back to a manageable 175 kg.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Rakk » 30 Oct 2013, 6:21 am

Die Judicii wrote:If I ever want to shift, I only have to take each sheet out to get it back to a manageable 175 kg.

Smart :geek:
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by crs2379 » 09 Feb 2014, 10:04 am

:? :? :? :?
Last edited by crs2379 on 22 Sep 2018, 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
crs2379
Recruit
Recruit

South Africa

Post by sooey » 09 Feb 2014, 10:12 am

Die Judicii wrote:All added, the end result is 316.3 kgs, and thats not counting the ammo in top compartment, or the firearms.

If I ever want to shift, I only have to take each sheet out to get it back to a manageable 175 kg.

Mmm, clever. And a damn sight easier to move than 316kg I wager :lol:
sooey
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by sooey » 09 Feb 2014, 10:14 am

crs2379 wrote:5 x steel plate 400x400x20mm, roughly 25kg each, and the safe weighs 38kg.

Yer, I don't see that going anywhere easily.
sooey
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 09 Feb 2014, 1:32 pm

howtow wrote:
mel wrote:Ours is one of those old metal school lockers that paint etc was kept in. It didnt have a floor so my partner welded metal plates in for that.. we weighed the door and it was 70kg by itself, was insane.

I read something a while ago about a guy who had a old ATM converted into a gun safe. Just the door was 200kg or something, lol.

My pistol safe is an old night safe(many thanks to a reno crew and a carton) It weighs more than a 44 of oil and is 3/8 plate all side with a 5/8 plate door. I still bolted it down(and left the explosive dye marker setup in place) after the Police said it needed to be(I could have argued but is there any point in the long run).

FWIW be aware that some professional criminals if they come across a gun safe or any safe indeed they will back out if they think they will go undetected and come back another time better prepared. If they have actually broken in they will take a high value easily resold item making it look like kids or druggies and go marking the place for targeting in a few months time.

We staked out a mates mums place when she was on holiday(they broke in and it would have gone undetected other than he knew her keys were on the rack where he had left them after dropping her off at the airport) and caught them a few nights later. The Police said this was common place.
Last edited by Warrigul on 10 Feb 2014, 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 09 Feb 2014, 4:06 pm

Living with & having police officers in the family often gives us a first hand account of what really happens when ones safe goes missing.

There have been times when people have been followed home from gun shops & ranges or simply noticing all the stickers that are on the back window of your car.

Then they simply wait until everyone is gone & go in with a furniture trolley & a pinch bar to pry it apart between the concrete & safe.

If they want it bad enough they will get it.

Also telling people on a open forum how your safe is bolted down or how thick it is really isn't the greatest of ideas.
Member-Deleted

Post by Broom » 09 Feb 2014, 8:37 pm

I've thought about chucking a sticker or two on the car but that's what concerned me.

It highlights the fact you've got guns in the house as you say.

TBH not so fussed about sharing a pic or two on the forum though, as long as you don't post your address (which would be stupid...) I can't see the harm.

Just says you're in QLD or TAS etc. Hardly narrows it down :P
Ruger Gunsite Scout in three oh eight. Oh yeah!
Broom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Feb 2014, 8:36 am

Good point broom, but what happens when you mention the range you go to or your lgs by name & the car you drive. All it takes is someone to put it all together! People show photos & mention different places all the time on these forums. Just be careful what you say & show is what I'm getting at.
Member-Deleted

Post by Chickenhawk » 10 Feb 2014, 9:38 am

I'm surprised the car/sticker thing doesn't happen more often TBH.

There is a bloke near my who is obviously mad for pig hunting.

Half a dozen Winchester stickers, vanity plates about pig hunting, seriously 3-4 stickers on every side of the car. I don't know the guy but from seeing his rig I doubt he just has 1 rifle at home, I expect there is a decent cache there...

I've seen him around for a few years and he's still sporting the stickers so obviously doesn't feel they're causing him any trouble though.
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment