Tips for hiding gun safe keys

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Tips for hiding gun safe keys

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Jun 2015, 10:40 pm

I might encase my spare key in a ton of concrete and bury it 10m underground just in case! :roll: Jeez you blokes make something simple bloody hard at times. Seriously if you are that worried about ya safe keys just keep em on ya.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by jake84 » 25 Jun 2015, 10:14 am

brett1868 wrote:
the thing that amazes me is face book with the amount of personal information people post on there
im not surprised when it comes to identity theft and fraud .

What's Facebook ? :D

hahaha i dont have that crap
jake84
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by jake84 » 25 Jun 2015, 10:15 am

Gwion wrote:I want a retina scanning bio-metric lock because i'm sick of keys!!! :ugeek: :thumbsup:

:drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

:drinks:
jake84
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Humir » 29 Jun 2015, 2:53 pm

trekin wrote:My keys are kept in plain sight, hanging on the wall for all to see, along with six thousand, four hundred and twenty two other keys.

I like it :mrgreen:
Humir
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by WildHunter » 29 Nov 2015, 8:55 pm

Hands down best thread on here. Hilarious and informative.
30 guns and still not enough.
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 30 Nov 2015, 10:55 am

You could add a bit of sport to it as well if you had 2-3 big dogs.

Put a capsule on the collar of each one and a sign "the key is in one of the capsules, gamble wisely"

:lol:
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Howa shooter » 08 Jan 2016, 7:25 am

I was only just thinking about this the other day, reading some of the replies has been a good laugh. I was thinking if you were paranoid enough you could end up with a setup like in terminator 2 crossed with a nuclear missle launch procedure. I got some inspiration from a few 'life hacks' I've seen on the bookface
Howa shooter
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SendIt » 08 Jan 2016, 10:25 am

A few dummy key safes (mounted lock boxes) around the place seems popular with the paranoid crowd too.

Or if someone has upgraded their safe leave the old one out to be found first as a decoy.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by WayneO » 18 Apr 2016, 11:17 pm

I went and got myself an 18 rifle safe with finger print and 6 code key pad lock. I change the batteries every 10 months regardless and I have no idea where i hid the override key.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 16 Apr 2018, 10:05 pm

samf wrote:lol @ that bottle.

Pill bottle "hide a key".

It's clear? It's not hiding s**t! :lol:

Totally unrelated but back thirty odd years I pulled up behind a new Porsche in traffic, every time the goose applied brakes I could see his spare key, freaking rocket scientist hid it in a tail light.

Not having any use for a Porsche I noted his rego number and called Vicpol when I got to work, we had a good laugh and they promised to contact the rocket scientist.

NSW coppers would probably have slunk around at midnight and stolen the car.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 16 Apr 2018, 10:11 pm

sbd3927 wrote:Like this? :D
Keyguard.jpg

LOL. "How many schmakos for the key nice doggie".
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by southwest shooter » 18 Apr 2018, 5:14 pm

I keep my keys at my local bank .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sturmmann » 04 Sep 2019, 1:17 pm

Buy this - https://www.bigaussiedeals.com.au/3-gun ... anism-lock

Then leave it on a dummy set of keys close to the safe. IF someone were to try and get into your safe the dummy set, they will be wasting valuable time trying to work the keys that do not work!

Just a thought!
Sturmmann
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Sep 2019, 2:46 pm

I’ve got my spare key in my 65kg Akita’s dog kennel - there I said. In a safe...here’s how to access;
Get into the property - we have 9 cameras with email alert, so wave away.
Then arrange to get into the locked pergola area that is also under cctv.
Then, ensure the two Akita’s are not hungry or moody.
Then, find the big Akita’s kennel and coach Em out of it - a human arm or leg usually does the trick...he prefers Asian’s being from japan but isn’t overly fussy...
Then locate the small digi safe, that’s bolted through the kennel floor into concrete - you need the digi pin and...oh crap...another key...
Where’s THAT key? crap...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by JSS » 04 Sep 2019, 3:37 pm

I dropped my keys into a strangers luggage at the airport, so even if i'm held hostage and tortured i can't tell anyone where my keys are....................
It has put a bit of a dampener on my shooting schedule though, so in hindsight maybe not the most practical solution :wtf: :unknown:

If anyone reading this has found some mysterious keys in their suitcase i'd be very grateful for their return :(
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 04 Sep 2019, 3:56 pm

Tassie. , if u hate burglars and love dogs. Google “ Middleburg dog attacks burglar / intruder “ on youtube “ and be prepared to watch a South African mastiff launch himself at somebody trying to steal from his yard
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 04 Sep 2019, 3:57 pm

Trouble with hiding bolts and safe keys when u get older is trying to remember where u hid them
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Sep 2019, 4:04 pm

Blr243 wrote:Tassie. , if u hate burglars and love dogs. Google “ Middleburg dog attacks burglar / intruder “ on youtube “ and be prepared to watch a South African mastiff launch himself at somebody trying to steal from his yard

Dis one...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mVSOGOiyHkY

Absolute gold lol. Laughing my head off.
Check out the puppy watching and learning...bet old mate needed medical attention after that one...
Unfortunately - given Aust ridiculous and insane no personal protection laws, if that happened here, I’m not convinced the dog wouldn’t be put down...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by JSS » 04 Sep 2019, 4:05 pm

Blr243 wrote:Trouble with hiding bolts and safe keys when u get older is trying to remember where u hid them

Just leave a note on your safe door telling you where you hid them, but remember to write "Private Do Not Read" at the top of the note to be safe.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 04 Sep 2019, 4:13 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I’ve got my spare key in my 65kg Akita’s dog kennel - there I said. In a safe...here’s how to access;
Then, find the big Akita’s kennel and coach Em out of it - a human arm or leg usually does the trick...he prefers Asian’s being from japan but isn’t overly fussy...
Then locate the small digi safe, that’s bolted through the kennel floor into concrete - you need the digi pin and...oh crap...another key...

So you have racist dogs that dont assimilate...?!! 8-)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JSS » 04 Sep 2019, 5:02 pm

Stix wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:I’ve got my spare key in my 65kg Akita’s dog kennel - there I said. In a safe...here’s how to access;

So you have racist dogs that dont assimilate...?!! 8-)

Come on Stix, everyone loves to tuck into a big feed of Chinese now and then :lol:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by perentie » 06 Sep 2019, 7:43 am

Westy wrote:
1290 wrote:
cavok wrote:............... The police will ring beforehand .........

No. They wont.
I've had the "we were in the area" before. You can say no, its not convenient if for example you're about to go out, or you're preparing the kids for bed or for what ever 'reasonable' excuse (yes we need 'excuses').... and politely ask them to go away and return at a more convenient time..

Here in the great state of Queensland they must give you 48 hrs. notice in writing of their intent to view your safe!!! No written notice no viewing!!! See you when you make the appointment. :mrgreen: :shock: :o Sorry Sonny you don't make the law you are only paid to up hold it!!!WoW that really s**ts them to Tears!!!! Most have to go back to the station AND ASK THE BIG OLD GRUMPY SARGENT IF THAT IS A FACT!!!!!!

Ohh and Cavok do you need a pill or something, serious brother lighten up, this forum is for education and entrainment purposes Bro!!!!! :lol: :D :lol:

I am in QLD. They can and do make unannounced inspections. Rural property, wife and I had gone to town for the day. Came home to notice stuck in door jamb.
Charged with unsecure firearm. They had the day to poke around the sheds etc and found my slug gun used for shooting cane toads.
$500 fine.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by 8x57 » 06 Sep 2019, 9:05 am

Get a electronic keypad safe, it will change your life, Much like a dishwasher. But seriously I’ve had key lock safes for ever changing to an electronic was for me a great move, no more hiding the keys.
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment