Tips for hiding gun safe keys

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Tips for hiding gun safe keys

Post by 1290 » 28 Oct 2014, 11:05 am

Bennybigbores wrote:The cop that just came to my joint for a random inspect was very laxed, only tried one tricky, I wasn't home so he asked my wife if she could get the keys and show him the guns as he just had to check serial numbers, luckily she was clued up enough to say she had no idea, he waited for me shook my hand at the door told me why he was here. Quick visual and a shake of the safes to see if they were secured, then walked out asked me to unlock safes returned when open no thought to where my keys were, inspected serial no.s got him looking at the howa keenly, talked fishing, asked him about removing bolts and storing separately compared to break barrels and levers etc said he couldn't care less, they're locked up if someone gets in here the little lockbox at the top is irrelevant, ended up a rather pleasant experience, had a rifle missing and an extra not listed, all fine, asked where it was told him, extras paper work hadn't had time to be proccessed...........nice to meet you see you later. I might have just got a good one, but definetly no stress on my end :P

Its been said that guys have been charged with firearm offences after (usually) the wife has helped out by opening the safe then BANG you're done for failing to secure your firearms or something related.....

I think this is a despicable act on the side of the police, entrapment, abusing the good nature of someone to comply with a seemingly innocent request from the law..... Its not right. I would complain to the Local about this, then go higher..... I wonder how many of the 3000?? firearm offences relate to the farmers wife helping the nice police officer do his job while hubby was out in the dusty field ploughing for next years crop....

Get the wife a licence of her own and let them try the prank again next visit.....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by North East » 28 Oct 2014, 11:29 am

I'm not telling.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by cavok » 28 Oct 2014, 11:48 am

This is a most strange topic with so many variations on what is and is not right. My firearms, my safe, my keys, or combination or both, why share the information with a non licenced individual? The police will ring beforehand and ask, or leave a note saying they called. Either way they need to speak with me personally.
I recently sold one of my toy guns, to a dealer I had not met and I promised to drive to his location and deliver the pistol. He said, "if I'm not home leave it with my wife" she works for the shop, I asked does she hold a pistol licence, he replied no, only long arm. I advised as the drive was near 100km that if he was not home no pistol would be left with anyone. It took him some time to understand my point of view.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 28 Oct 2014, 12:54 pm

cavok wrote:............... The police will ring beforehand .........

No. They wont.
I've had the "we were in the area" before. You can say no, its not convenient if for example you're about to go out, or you're preparing the kids for bed or for what ever 'reasonable' excuse (yes we need 'excuses').... and politely ask them to go away and return at a more convenient time..
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Oct 2014, 8:42 pm

I have never been inspected. But both soninlaws got a ph call and an appointment was arranged that was convienient to all. Just saying how it happened.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by loopal » 29 Oct 2014, 2:24 pm

1290 wrote:You can say no, its not convenient if for example you're about to go out, or you're preparing the kids for bed or for what ever 'reasonable' excuse (yes we need 'excuses').... and politely ask them to go away and return at a more convenient time..

I'd love for someone to come up with some mega-awkward excuse to send them on their way after an unannounced arrival.

"Why isn't it a convenient time now?

"Well, I had a curry for dinner last night and I've just crapped myself. I expect I'll be occupied for some time."

"...speechless..."

:lol:
loopal
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 29 Oct 2014, 3:34 pm

loopal wrote:
1290 wrote:You can say no, its not convenient if for example you're about to go out, or you're preparing the kids for bed or for what ever 'reasonable' excuse (yes we need 'excuses').... and politely ask them to go away and return at a more convenient time..

I'd love for someone to come up with some mega-awkward excuse to send them on their way after an unannounced arrival.

"Well, I had a curry for dinner last night and I've just crapped myself. I expect I'll be occupied for some time."

"...speechless..."

That would be a perfectly reasonable and legitimate reason to send them on their way. If I ever have a knock at the door demanding an inspection I WILL send you away constable onlydoingmyjob. Convenient is the time I DECIDE.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Combat_Wombat » 29 Oct 2014, 9:03 pm

loopal wrote:I'd love for someone to come up with some mega-awkward excuse to send them on their way after an unannounced arrival.

"...speechless..."

That's the get out of jail free card

"My hemaroids are playing up"

Never gets questioned 8-)
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Westy » 29 Oct 2014, 9:16 pm

1290 wrote:
cavok wrote:............... The police will ring beforehand .........

No. They wont.
I've had the "we were in the area" before. You can say no, its not convenient if for example you're about to go out, or you're preparing the kids for bed or for what ever 'reasonable' excuse (yes we need 'excuses').... and politely ask them to go away and return at a more convenient time..

Here in the great state of Queensland they must give you 48 hrs. notice in writing of their intent to view your safe!!! No written notice no viewing!!! See you when you make the appointment. :mrgreen: :shock: :o Sorry Sonny you don't make the law you are only paid to up hold it!!!WoW that really s**ts them to Tears!!!! Most have to go back to the station AND ASK THE BIG OLD GRUMPY SARGENT IF THAT IS A FACT!!!!!!

Ohh and Cavok do you need a pill or something, serious brother lighten up, this forum is for education and entrainment purposes Bro!!!!! :lol: :D :lol:
Last edited by Westy on 29 Oct 2014, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by FuzzyM » 29 Oct 2014, 9:23 pm

I currently carry my safe keys on my ring, the spare keys are in one of those combo lock key safes I got from bunnings, which is hidden. Pretty easy thing to hide as they are fairly small.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by cavok » 30 Oct 2014, 8:08 am

Westy wrote:Here in the great state of Queensland they must give you 48 hrs. notice in writing of their intent to view your safe!!! No written notice no viewing!!! See you when you make the appointment. :mrgreen: :shock: :o Sorry Sonny you don't make the law you are only paid to up hold it!!!WoW that really s**ts them to Tears!!!! Most have to go back to the station AND ASK THE BIG OLD GRUMPY SARGENT IF THAT IS A FACT!!!!!!

Ohh and Cavok do you need a pill or something, serious brother lighten up, this forum is for education and entrainment purposes Bro!!!!! :lol: :D :lol:

Thank you for your medication foresight.

YES I agree this forum is exactly for education and entertainment and not for making some outrageous, wild political or conspiratorial statement and hope no-one replies, or can't read. :lol:
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 30 Oct 2014, 8:25 am

Combat_Wombat wrote:That's the get out of jail free card

"My hemaroids are playing up"

Never gets questioned 8-)

Until you get the one cop who used to be a doctors who says, no worries - I can fix those while I'm here too! :lol:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by sbd3927 » 17 Nov 2014, 10:56 pm

Locked up in a gun safe .. :)

I've a second gun safe in the shed, used for storing valuable tools etc, Both keypad entry, with the override keys locked in the other safe.
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lyam » 18 Nov 2014, 2:21 pm

But then where to hide that key?

I see a problem emerging with this theory :lol:
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sbd3927 » 18 Nov 2014, 8:47 pm

But then where to hide that key?

Key for safe #1 inside safe #2
Key for safe #2 inside safe #1
If both keypad batteries go flat... one of the batteries is changeable externally.
(Just hoping for no problems with the Law... Murphy's Law)
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by remnt » 19 Nov 2014, 12:21 pm

Now that you've said it it will definitely got wrong at the same time :lol:
CZ 453 .17 HMR
Mossberg 183T 410 Bore
Savage 10FP .308 Win
remnt
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by pajamatime » 19 Nov 2014, 5:53 pm

inside a small combination key safe which is inside a larger safe which is well concealed...when off site the keys go with me everywhere.
Alarm system and video surveillance.
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by oowess » 20 Nov 2014, 8:42 am

Get a big f*** off dog and hang the key around it's neck? :lol:
oowess
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by FuzzyM » 20 Nov 2014, 9:20 pm

oowess wrote:Get a big f*** off dog and hang the key around it's neck? :lol:

Better be a dog that holds a Longarm License :P
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by sbd3927 » 21 Nov 2014, 8:52 am

Like this? :D
Keyguard.jpg
Keyguard.jpg (188.13 KiB) Viewed 8189 times
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by oowess » 21 Nov 2014, 1:11 pm

Nailed it :lol:
oowess
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by adam » 23 Jun 2015, 1:59 pm

Interesting topic, and some good ideas.

From my perspective, there are two different avenues that one can take when hiding keys.

The first is the conventional way. Hide in a hidden / secure place. Things such as a key Safe bolted to the wall, on your key ring that you carry with you always, or in another safe somewhere. Alternatively a hiding spot behind a painting, in the toilet water reservoir, etc.

However I like the 'Hide in plain sight' approach. This is where the key is in a spot that's available to everyone, but would never consider - and even if they did consider, it would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Things such as in a book on the bookshelf of hundreds of books, taped / bluetacked to the bottom a can of long store food in the pantry. In a toilet roll amongst toilet rolls, in the bottom of the dirty underwear hamper... 8-)

I've got to admit, I like the idea of on the dog though. :D
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 23 Jun 2015, 2:44 pm

Put my house keys on my dog once because i don't like leaving them hidden and my brother needed to get in while i was at work. He was waiting for me when i got home because the dog wouldn't let him near the keys! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Jun 2015, 6:31 pm

pajamatime wrote:inside a small combination key safe which is inside a larger safe which is well concealed...when off site the keys go with me everywhere.
Alarm system and video surveillance.

Good to see you blokes are taking up some good safety practices. That sounds to me to be a variation on a "group lock out" :drinks: Just need a quality procedure to go along with it. :lol:

http://www.bradyid.com.au/en-au/product ... lock-boxes
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 23 Jun 2015, 11:18 pm

I keep all my Keys in a locked box in another safe ( i just realisied how paranoid that is )
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Jun 2015, 7:13 am

Mine are on my keyring with every other key I use. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by jake84 » 24 Jun 2015, 7:24 am

sbd3927 wrote:Like this? :D
Keyguard.jpg

perfect pic
jake84
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by adam » 24 Jun 2015, 8:39 am

pomemax wrote:I keep all my Keys in a locked box in another safe ( I just realisied how paranoid that is )

I thought about this but wondered if this might actually be more unsafe in some ways:

ie: If a burgler enters the house, and sees a small safe / key safe and targets it - managing to get in - he gets all the safe keys. From cracking one, he now has access to all other safes, as opposed to having to try and crack / break each safe.

Thus all the safes end up being only as secure as the weakest link...

I came across this when I was thinking of doing something similar. (A number of safes that unlock each other revealing another key, etc) but realised that as soon as one safe is cracked, they have access to the lot.

Maybe having a key lock safe inside another safe might make it more secure. Or alternatively if the safe with the keys in it is in a very good hiding place, and unlikely to be found. Yet it seems that safe kesy that can be taken away from the property or hidden in much smaller / harder to locate places may be safer?

Or maybe I'm being paranoid but I was told its not paranoia if they're really after you! ;)
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by trekin » 24 Jun 2015, 9:06 am

My keys are kept in plain sight, hanging on the wall for all to see, along with six thousand, four hundred and twenty two other keys. Like to guess witch ones fit what;

Not photo of actual keys for security reasons.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Jun 2015, 10:11 am

trekin wrote:My keys are kept in plain sight, hanging on the wall for all to see, along with six thousand, four hundred and twenty two other keys. Like to guess witch ones fit what;

Not photo of actual keys for security reasons.

Looks like my keys! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

PreviousNext

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment