New safe installation question

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

New safe installation question

Post by jennageit » 11 Sep 2014, 12:15 pm

Hi Guys,

My gun safe arrived yesterday, and I've been struggling to figure out the best place to put it. I was going to put it in the office, but that's no-longer an option, so it's going into my bedroom.

The problem is:

I cant have it flush with the wall because of the skirting board. The skirting board is about 6 inches tall, causes the safe to be almost an inch off the wall for almost the entire height.

From what I can see, there are 2 options:

Cut a section out of the skirting board (and hope the owner doesn't notice), or
Put a board behind the safe, as a spacer, to fill the gap and bolt through the board and into the stud on the wall. My concern is, if I do this, is it still classed as being secured properly?

The safe weights about 45kgs, and is only a 3 gun, which is big enough for me.

So guys, what do you suggest?

Cut a chunk out of the skirting board, or put spacers in?

Jenna
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: New safe installation question

Post by Shotfox » 11 Sep 2014, 12:23 pm

To mount it flush with the wall you will have to carefully remove the length of skirting board but keep it and replace it if you move and fill the edge with no more gaps and you're done.Im sure hubby can do this for ya.
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jennageit » 11 Sep 2014, 1:30 pm

That's what I was thinking.
I worry about using spacers, only because it might give someone purchase to try and get it off the wall. The house will most likely fall down before that happens lol

Jenna

PS. Bugger hubby doing it, I want to play with the power tools! I'm pretty handy with things like a jigsaw and drill lol
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Sep 2014, 1:39 pm

So what does the house owner say about the holes your gonna drill into the wall and or floor ?????????????
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by jennageit » 11 Sep 2014, 2:37 pm

I have no idea, and I don't really care.

She's left us without a stove for over 12 months, no heating (other than column heaters), busted pipes and dodgy electrical work.

Oh, and there isn't a wall or door in this house that isn't split, full of holes, or totally destroyed. And, none of it is our doing. It was like that when we moved in and accepted her kids when DHS took them off her.
The owner is my husbands ex wife, and she hates me with a passion. I've told her I'm installing a safe, she's replied with "Don't wreck the joint". End of story.

Hubby has decided to cut a chunk out of the skirting board so that the safe sits flush with the wall, and we'll replace it when we move.

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by whert » 11 Sep 2014, 4:28 pm

jennageit wrote:I worry about using spacers, only because it might give someone purchase to try and get it off the wall.

The wall is just timber/plaster or whatever I guess?

You can get behind that regardless of another spacer board.

Getting it through the stud is what the fuzz are going to want to see, however you can get it flush on top of that should be good.
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Sep 2014, 6:44 pm

jennageit wrote:I have no idea, and I don't really care.

She's left us without a stove for over 12 months, no heating (other than column heaters), busted pipes and dodgy electrical work.

Oh, and there isn't a wall or door in this house that isn't split, full of holes, or totally destroyed. And, none of it is our doing. It was like that when we moved in and accepted her kids when DHS took them off her.
The owner is my husbands ex wife, and she hates me with a passion. I've told her I'm installing a safe, she's replied with "Don't wreck the joint". End of story.

Hubby has decided to cut a chunk out of the skirting board so that the safe sits flush with the wall, and we'll replace it when we move.

Jenna

So, do tell,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, What was the real "reason" you put in the application for a F/As license ?????? :evil: :twisted: :roll:

Hee Hee,,,,,,, just kidding.

It all sounds a bit too weird and cumfy for my liking.
Last edited by Die Judicii on 11 Sep 2014, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by FuzzyM » 11 Sep 2014, 6:44 pm

I previously rented a unit that had a lot of minor damage prior to us living there. They were so slow to fix the dangerous broken power point, rooted leaking plumbing and some other stuff. Yet when we moved out the real estate agent went over the joint with a fine toothed comb, bitching about dust in the wardrobe drawer, scuff marks behind a door and about 10 other minor details that all had to be rectified before we could have our bond back :x

Bought our first house this year and man do I love being able to drill holes and just replace stuff as I see fit! :D
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 11 Sep 2014, 8:16 pm

It's a wonderful feeling being able to do things like that.

We aren't through an agent, it's a private arrangement. Also, we have dated photo's of what the property was like in the four weeks before we moved in, when we had to clean the rooms out of dirty nappies, rubbish, rodents, cat s**t and piss, and the occasional tiger snake.

She wouldn't dare have a go at us, cos we'll haul her over the coals. We're doing each other a favour right now, but when we get into a position when we can buy our own place, I'm going to move out, give her 28 days notice, and then watch the fireworks from a safe distance lol

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by agentzero » 12 Sep 2014, 7:28 am

Here's the official line from the Vic Pol website Jenna.

SCHEDULE 4
STORAGE REQUIREMENTS
1 Longarm licences for category A and B longarms
(1) The firearm must be stored in a receptacle—
(a) which is constructed of hard wood or steel that is not easily penetrable; and
(b) which, if it weighs less than 150 kilograms when it is empty, must be fixed to the frame of the floor or the wall of the premises where the firearm is kept in such a manner that it is not easily removable; and
(c) which, when any firearm is stored in it, is locked with a lock of sturdy construction.

With a space it's still won't be 'easily removable' when it's through the studs ;)
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Patrol66 » 14 Sep 2014, 12:31 pm

I used a spacer. Screws through spacer into wall stud and four dyna bolts into concrete floor.

I will eventually build a bookcase both sides and above the safe, then it would take someone very determined to remove my safe.

Will say that lining up the spacer was a huge pain in the butt.
Rem 700- 223, Marlin xt 22, Rem 700 - 30-06 ( not mine , but in my safe )
Patrol66
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by halberg » 15 Sep 2014, 9:45 am

jennageit wrote:We're doing each other a favour right now, but when we get into a position when we can buy our own place, I'm going to move out, give her 28 days notice, and then watch the fireworks from a safe distance lol

Sounds like a plan.

Also sounds like you're getting the short of this deal a bit? :?
Savage Mark II FVT .22LR
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 25-06 Remington
Sako L691 6.5x55 SE
halberg
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by jennageit » 15 Sep 2014, 10:16 am

We definitely are, but at least we've got a roof over our heads. It's been a rather huge sacrifice staying here, but the kids are happy, they haven't had to move schools, and for the time being, I can cope with the situation, even if I do get a bit ratty from time to time.

It wont last forever though, thank god! :lol:
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by whert » 17 Sep 2014, 10:05 am

At least getting your shooters license will be a pick-me-up :D
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 17 Sep 2014, 10:22 am

Definitely.

And each week when I go to the range, I have a good time (no matter what the score card result is), and I don't have to think about anything but shooting, and chatting to the guys.

I now love Wednesday's :lol:

And I'm counting down the days till when my license should be here!
Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by lole » 17 Sep 2014, 1:25 pm

jennageit wrote:And each week when I go to the range, I have a good time (no matter what the score card result is), and I don't have to think about anything but shooting, and chatting to the guys.

Fun's more important than score.

There's always one guy at the range who's pissed over his shooting and leaves in a huff.

Dunno why they go when that's what they get out of it.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 18 Sep 2014, 6:44 am

Die Judicii wrote:So what does the house owner say about the holes your gonna drill into the wall and or floor ?????????????

How about the garage or are there to many cars in there???LOL. I own a few properties and man I get steamed when tenants leave holes in my walls for me to fix and then claim it wasn't there fault!!!LOL :| :geek: :|
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by jennageit » 18 Sep 2014, 10:15 am

I thought about the garage Westy, but the house is a much better option.

Although the owner is unlikely to notice, we'll put everything back as it was when we are done. I'm not going to fix the fist holes in the plaster or the broken doors though, they were like that when we moved in. When we do move, this house will be spotless, we'll even steam clean the carpet before we go.

As for that one guy who goes away grumpy for the club, he didn't show up last night, so we all had a good time!
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Manimal » 18 Sep 2014, 2:39 pm

jennageit wrote:I thought about the garage Westy, but the house is a much better option.

Usually better for your guns too, as well as security.

Less exposed to the elements in the house.
Manimal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by FuzzyM » 18 Sep 2014, 9:10 pm

Sounds like Jenna's house isn't very weatherproof!
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Manimal » 19 Sep 2014, 10:14 am

Imagine what condition the shed must be in then :P
Manimal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jennageit » 19 Sep 2014, 10:41 am

FuzzyM wrote:Sounds like Jenna's house isn't very weatherproof!

It's bloody freezing in this house fuzzy. It may be rain/hail proof, but it's not wind proof. The cracks in the front and back doors, and the gaps around each door make it a wind tunnel in the lounge room.

The holes in the floor that the owners second oldest put in the floor down the south end of the house don't help that either. We've blocked them up as much as possible, and we keep filling the cracks in the front and back doors but it's impossible.

Still, it's a roof over our heads, and hopefully only temporary.

For those suggesting the garage, it's right on the road so I wouldn't feel comfortable with my safe being in there, but it has been known to be considerably warmer in there, even with the roller doors open! lmao

We've decided to go with removing a chunk of skirting board, and hubby is going to bolt the safe to the floor and the wall. When we move, we'll fill the goles in the wall and floor and replace the skirting board.
It sounds like a lot of stuffing around, but it'll be easier in the end.

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by BobWilliams61 » 19 Jun 2019, 11:54 am

Now I am worried.
I have only just got my license and I am waiting for the paperwork to come through and you guys have got me thinking that my chosen location for my gun safe might be questioned by VICPOL.
I planned to install it the enclosed bay of our 3 bay machinery shed which we use as a tack room so we are in and out of it every day it’s 20 metres from my main house, no widows small door which is locked and padlocked.
I intended to bolt the safe to the concrete floor and weld it to one of the steel upright beams.
Reading the some of the comments I get the impression that VICPOL might question my choice of location, preferring that I locate it in the house.
BobWilliams61
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment