Electronic earmuffs

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Electronic earmuffs

Post by offtarget » 30 Sep 2014, 8:39 pm

Are electronic earmuffs any good?

If so what brand do people recommend?
offtarget
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Electronic earmuffs

Post by Chronos » 30 Sep 2014, 9:40 pm

yes they are very good, they make hearing speech easier, and therefore makes shooting safer.

Like anything, buy the best you can afford. Peltor and howard leight are just 2 brands of electronic muffs. where possible also buy the highest rating, class 4 is the minimum, class 5 is better

Lately i've been wearing class 5 ear plugs under my cheap class 4 electronic muffs which seems to be the perfect combo for me

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Sep 2014, 10:46 pm

I've got Peltor, and they are fantastic.
So sensitive that they react to dry leaves and small twigs under foot.
They blank out the actual shot, and click back on again in time for you to hear either the echo, or the meaty whack of bullet impact.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bluerob » 01 Oct 2014, 6:16 am

I'm finding that it depends on where you are shooting (indoor range or out hunting) and how sensitive your hearing is.

I think I've tried about 4 different types now and I still need to use foam plugs on top of 27 rated electronic ear muffs. I've spent $60 up to $250 to try different types.

The majority of my shooting is outdoor ranges, but with booths that are separated by thin timber walls and an iron roof. When someone is shooting .357 hand gun loads (not hot or factory) beside me, I know all about it. If I'm firing my .357, I know all about it (if I neglect the foam plug inserts).

There's heaps of info on here (use the search function) about ear protection, but, IMHO, I think it's a personal choice where you might need to try a few different types to find one that's suitable. I've given up searching and just "double plug."
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by handofcod » 01 Oct 2014, 8:50 am

Been using Howard Leigh Impact ear muffs and they are excellent. Sometimes I also put foam buds in my ears at the range if someone's using a muzzle break next to me but otherwise they have excellent protection.

Lately I've also taken to using the muffs while hunting because they pick up and amplify bush sounds better than my unprotected ears.
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by agentzero » 03 Oct 2014, 11:43 am

Guys feedback from 2 past good posts for you.

Electronic earmuffs

Electronic earmuffs - 2
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Grated » 03 Oct 2014, 11:50 am

offtarget wrote:Are electronic earmuffs any good?

From one of the links above but shortcut the relevant bit for you on how/what they do and what to do.

Old bloke pretty much nails it all in this reply.
Thin out their numbers, Ned!

Mmm, thin out their numbers!
Grated
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment