Guns in fire resistance gun safe after house fire?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Guns in fire resistance gun safe after house fire?

Post by Swarm » 06 Oct 2013, 7:54 am

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth spending the extra for a fire resistance gun safe at the moment.

Protecting against breaking in with a cutting torch or whatever they use I'm not really worried about that to be honest.

Our places has security shutters, deadbolts, alarm, dogs, the whole works.

In the unlikely event the house burns down though, does anyone know of anyone actually saving their stuff and retrieving it?

Obviously the safe can only hold so much, and if it's been baking in a fire for an hour or more I don't imagine there'd be anything worth saving anyway?

Thoughts?
Sako 75 Hunter IV 6.5x55 SE with Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm
CZ 455 .22LR with Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm CDS
Winchester 88 .284 Winchester
Swarm
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Guns in fire resistance gun safe after house fire?

Post by Turkle » 06 Oct 2013, 8:52 am

Someone's a bit pessimistic... Not expecting the fire department to come when a fire starts?

:lol:
Tikka T3 Super Varmint - .22-250 Rem
Marlin XS7 - 7mm-08
Winchester 1902 - .22
Burris Eliminator / Weaver Super Slam
Turkle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Monty » 06 Oct 2013, 5:12 pm

As you've suggested, it depends on the fire.

If flames are liking the outside of it for 30 minutes before the fire brigade put the fire out, everything would likely be fine (depending on the safe obviously...)

If the house is literally burnt to ashes, the safe will have turned into a kiln and baked everything inside.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 06 Oct 2013, 5:22 pm

Turkle wrote:Someone's a bit pessimistic... Not expecting the fire department to come when a fire starts?

He must have slept with the fire chiefs daughter :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 06 Oct 2013, 5:38 pm

Seriously though, buying fire resistance is basically buying additional insurance.

There are additional benefits of fire resistance in a safe which reduces certain risks, or you can save money on your initial investment if you think those risks are unlikely to effect you.

There's the old saying - Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it...

Up to you...
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Yelp » 06 Oct 2013, 6:38 pm

Lorgar wrote:He must have slept with the fire chiefs daughter :lol:

:lol:
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by kram » 13 Oct 2013, 12:38 am

The house I lived in out at Condobolin was struck by lightning in 1992. burnt to the ground in 1 hour. The fireproof safe in the house was a twisted piece of scrap and the door was ajar with the blackened ,siezed barreled actions still inside. I let the cops take them away and never even gave them a second thought ,they were that far gone. I do miss my 8ml Mauser,Ruger 10, and most of all my o/u 410/22.
kram
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Swarm » 13 Oct 2013, 1:27 pm

kram wrote:The fireproof safe in the house was a twisted piece of scrap and the door was ajar with the blackened ,siezed barreled actions still inside.

That's pretty much what I was picturing if your house burnt down around the safe :/

Bit of additional piece of mind against attack I guess, but no real improvement for an actual fire.
Sako 75 Hunter IV 6.5x55 SE with Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm
CZ 455 .22LR with Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm CDS
Winchester 88 .284 Winchester
Swarm
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment