Safe modification (to a safe)

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Safe modification (to a safe)

Post by sbd3927 » 15 Dec 2014, 9:23 pm

I have my gunsafe right by the door, so if required for a fox or somesuch, I can get a gun out without taking my boots off (trouble and strife is exactly what would happen if I walked off the doormat onto the carpet). Being a digital safe its nice and easy to access, but ... the shortcoming has always been the dang key for the ammo compartment. (Victoria, ammo must be in separate locked container, but that container can be in the gunsafe)

So I've finally cured the problem with a replacement lock for the ammo compartment. A three digit lock isn't the height of security, but neither was the piddling little key lock it replaced. I bought a couple of them, and I've put another on a drawer in my reloading table, now I can lazily leave ammo loads in progress safely locked up there too.

Ammo_combo.jpg
Replaced ammo box lock with a combination lock knob.
Ammo_combo.jpg (27.88 KiB) Viewed 1990 times

combination cabinet lock.JPG
google or ebay search "combination cabinet lock"
combination cabinet lock.JPG (18.05 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Safe modification (to a safe)

Post by RoginaJack » 15 Dec 2014, 10:05 pm

Brilliant idea and I'm annoyed with the piddly lock on the safe too. Wheres' the combo from Bunnings?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by sbd3927 » 15 Dec 2014, 10:50 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Brilliant idea and I'm annoyed with the piddly lock on the safe too. Wheres' the combo from Bunnings?

I got that from Sydney, via Ebay $12 + postage, there's a few variants of those knobs around. There's also combination bolts available if that suits some safes better.

Search for combination cabinet lock, or combination bolt. The lock cylinder was a little long, just had to bend the rotating tag in a vice to make it snug. Thickening the side of the ammo box would work too.
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Korkt » 16 Dec 2014, 10:28 am

Awesome idea sbd3927.

Great work.
Korkt
Corporal