Kukri knives

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Kukri knives

Post by defau » 18 Dec 2014, 12:04 pm

Anyone use (used) a kukri knife as their field knife?

Hunting? General purpose camping? Seems like it could cover a few jobs out there.

I see some advertised in the SSAA mag and am wondering.

Reckon they're a practical option are are they just selling and collectable because they're the 'badass' knife in the movies?
Sako L46 .222
Remington 721 .270
CZ 242 .22
defau
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Kukri knives

Post by WesleySnipes » 02 Jan 2015, 3:13 pm

They're very handy. The weight of the blade as well as the curved thick forend provide for some very good chopping with minimal effort. So much so that I have opted with a kukri in replacement of a tomahawk/hatchet for basic camp/fire wood duties.

It's all personal preference though at the end of the day, and which one feels best for you.

I would definitely go with an Ontario Kukri for your first one should you decide to give them a go. Prices waver, but I have seen them for as low as $100 on eBay with a half decent sheath. The Ontario is a mean piece of equipment made of high quality steel, good edge retention, a good anti rust coating and it's overall construction is brilliant for the price.

And down the track if you decide you really like them you can always buy a hand made nepalese kukri, but I would be too afraid to use them personally, as they cost quite a bit. :)
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Old Fart » 03 Jan 2015, 3:49 pm

WesleySnipes wrote:And down the track if you decide you really like them you can always buy a hand made nepalese kukri, but I would be too afraid to use them personally, as they cost quite a bit. :)

Heat up the forge, give making one yourself a go ;)
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Korkt » 03 Jan 2015, 3:52 pm

defau wrote:Hunting? General purpose camping? Seems like it could cover a few jobs out there.

Indeed.

As you'll have gleaned from Wesley's comments though they're not small, or light.

Not disputing any of the above as such, but there not what I'd call an all-purpose knife. Too close to the heavy work end of the scale IMO.

You mind find something smaller more preferable.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cuvy » 03 Jan 2015, 8:09 pm

Big knives are fun and all, but I don't think they're that practical. I'd rather a small solid knife (Mora, ESEE-3 etc) which will do everything from utility tasks, food prep, game prep, log splitting (batoning) and a folding saw. You can chop and split wood with a big knife like a khukri, but I don't think it is that much easier than batoning with a small knife. A folding saw will cut through wood much quicker than either of those.

But don't get me wrong, they're fun and nice to have - I use goloks and bolos all the time in the garden and for brush clearing. But if I've got limited space/weight capacity, I think it better to carry a small knife and a folding saw.
cuvy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Korkt » 04 Jan 2015, 8:48 pm

cuvy wrote:Big knives are fun and all, but I don't think they're that practical. I'd rather a small solid knife (Mora, ESEE-3 etc) which will do everything from utility tasks, food prep, game prep, log splitting (batoning) and a folding saw.

Yep, my thoughts exactly.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 04 Jan 2015, 8:49 pm

Old Fart wrote:Heat up the forge, give making one yourself a go ;)

I'm in the process of setting up my first.

Doing a few knives is definitely on. Will add a Kukri to the list :D
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by defau » 04 Jan 2015, 8:50 pm

I haven't held one myself so aren't familiar with the size or weight.

I'll double check that, thanks guys.
Sako L46 .222
Remington 721 .270
CZ 242 .22
defau
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by lole » 05 Jan 2015, 12:00 pm

WesleySnipes wrote:And down the track if you decide you really like them you can always buy a hand made nepalese kukri, but I would be too afraid to use them personally, as they cost quite a bit. :)

I don't know if it was Nepalese but there are some amazing ones.

I will have to find the picture, but I had one saved of a blade made of Damascus steel, engraved with some forest scenery, and with a super dark, rich, walnut handle with matching engraved pommel.

So nice. :thumbsup:
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by melanie » 05 Jan 2015, 1:25 pm

Love those beautiful Damascus steel shotguns barrels they do.

(I think I have that right, where they twist them to make the barrel and pattern?:D)
melanie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Korkt » 05 Jan 2015, 1:26 pm

Yep that's right. Square rods of steel twisted together tightly before the bore is drilled.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by WesleySnipes » 05 Jan 2015, 1:54 pm

lole wrote:I don't know if it was Nepalese but there are some amazing ones.

I will have to find the picture, but I had one saved of a blade made of Damascus steel, engraved with some forest scenery, and with a super dark, rich, walnut handle with matching engraved pommel.

So nice. :thumbsup:

I was referring to the Nepalese people that originally created the kukri centuries ago, rather than a particular brand or make. The kukri is a staple of the Nepalese culture and the long history of their fighting Gurkhas. Their beautifully hand crafted kukris are second to none in both function and form, and due to this cost a pretty penny.
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by lole » 05 Jan 2015, 2:25 pm

My bad.

Thought you meant folks there hand making them today.

Understood now.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Seconds » 05 Jan 2015, 2:38 pm

cuvy wrote:Big knives are fun and all, but I don't think they're that practical. I'd rather a small solid knife

why-dont-we-have-both-gif.gif
why-dont-we-have-both-gif.gif (591.71 KiB) Viewed 6594 times
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by WesleySnipes » 05 Jan 2015, 2:38 pm

lole wrote:My bad.

Thought you meant folks there hand making them today.

Understood now.

No worries mate.

They DO hand make them today, but are generally custom orders and are referred to as Nepalese kukris, as they are rarely branded.

Below is a link where you can custom order a kukri and they hand make it to your specifications and what not.

http://www.nepalesekhukuri.com/index.ph ... c020751157
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by lole » 05 Jan 2015, 2:58 pm

Some good looking knives there.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 05 Jan 2015, 3:51 pm

If you want to hang it on the wall ok but as a practical bush knife or machete don't waste your money .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by defau » 06 Jan 2015, 7:31 am

You prefer a regular old machete Jack?

Because it's lighter?
Sako L46 .222
Remington 721 .270
CZ 242 .22
defau
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Jack V » 06 Jan 2015, 6:45 pm

I prefer several other types of machetes other than a Kukri because they are better balanced choppers. Having used a Kukri in the jungle and the bush I found it very tiring on the wrist due to the bent blade causing lot of twisting on your wrist on hard materials when the blade don't strike just right . A more straighter blade or even a curve up is much better to use and more forgiving . They do cut ok on soft vines and such with a downward chopping action due to the downward curve holding the vine but overall too limited . Prarang , K-bar , Cold steel , Gerber all better machetes . Also you have to keep the blade length practical when you are also carrying other stuff . As a general knife the Kukri is fairly useless and all original Kukri's came with two small addition knives for those purposes .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by defau » 07 Jan 2015, 11:40 am

Jack V wrote:I found it very tiring on the wrist due to the bent blade causing lot of twisting on your wrist on hard materials when the blade don't strike just right

Yeah I can see what you mean.
Sako L46 .222
Remington 721 .270
CZ 242 .22
defau
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Jack V » 09 Jan 2015, 1:33 pm

This modified kukri is a far better design

modified kukri.jpg
modified kukri.jpg (4.96 KiB) Viewed 6067 times
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by wild goose » 11 Jan 2015, 7:24 pm

I use a Parang, similar to a kukri in terms of a large style knife however is a slightly different shape and comes from Indonesian/Malay history. Rounded blade with forward weight to give it power yet has a small sharp flat blade area towards the handle for finer work. Favoured by Ray mears who is one of THE true outdoorsmen.
Gamo Shadow 22Air
Marlin XT22
AyA 12g s/s
Howa 1500 308w
wild goose
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 11 Jan 2015, 8:06 pm

That sounds a bit like a Bolo machete . Bolo is round and heavy at the front end . Parang's do vary a fair bit in design though. Either is better than a traditional Kukri .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by defau » 12 Jan 2015, 8:51 am

Jack V wrote:This modified kukri is a far better design

"modified" = the less extreme forward angle of the blade?
Sako L46 .222
Remington 721 .270
CZ 242 .22
defau
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Jack V » 12 Jan 2015, 8:39 pm

Yes
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Mich » 13 Jan 2015, 10:56 am

I have a few as collectables but I'd never take them hunting or camping.

Too large, too heavy.

Better to take a small knife for fiddly work and a machete/hatchet for the heavy stuff if needed.

Carry the one you need at the time and leave the other one in the truck.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by Jack V » 13 Jan 2015, 1:07 pm

Mich wrote:I have a few as collectables but I'd never take them hunting or camping.

Too large, too heavy.

Better to take a small knife for fiddly work and a machete/hatchet for the heavy stuff if needed.

Carry the one you need at the time and leave the other one in the truck.

I agree, you can't beat using the right tool for the job at hand.

For back pack hunters it's a lot harder but again the terrain, type of hunting and personal preferences will determine what people ultimately carry. However in the end your dump what does not work for your situation when you have to carry it around on your back all day.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 14 Jan 2015, 10:14 am

Old Fart wrote:Heat up the forge, give making one yourself a go ;)

Finished the forge last night :D

Did the run in burn, it's definitely f***ing hot in there :lol:

Picking up some aluminium bars tonight and will crank out a few ingots.

Might give one of these modified kukri's Jack linked a go for my first steel work.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 14 Jan 2015, 10:34 am

A forge is a good idea I wish I had room for one . What design did you go with ?
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 14 Jan 2015, 10:52 am

I'll post some pictures tonight hopefully.

The forge walls are plaster of paris / sand mix, set in a steel container.

Currently being fed with charcoal and a hair dryer feeding it oxygen. A bit ghetto but it works.

Hair dryer connects via a galvanized pipe which is sized to be a propane burner in time, I'm going to switch to gas and run off a BBQ bottle instead. Bunning just didn't have the cable I needed so feeding it charcoal for the moment just so I could crack on with it.

Crucible is a stainless coffee jug.

I just did a quick test burn last night to complete the cure, but it's obviously doing the business. I don't have a thermometer capable of measuring high enough but it's melting aluminium as it is so is over 660c.

Cost about $50 to make the whole thing :)

Dedicated post and more improvements to come.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment