Experimental Spotlight Rig

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Experimental Spotlight Rig

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Dec 2014, 9:10 am

Since I do a bit of spotlighting on my own and find shooting out of the Driver Side a tad difficult (Read to f***ing fat to do it properly) so had to come up with a solution that would allow me to still get out and spotlight on my own.

This one is primarily set up for spotlighting foxes ie stopping getting up on the back of the ute or off the bonnet and whistling them in from there, with a bit of luck it should work ok (not going to be as flexible as just driving around and spotlighting them and shooting them from the vehicle as such but better than not doing it.

I can turn the light just like any other spotlight setup ie up down, left right etc so all good there too. Anyway that Tripod sure has come in handy

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: Experimental Spotlight Rig

Post by Jack V » 20 Dec 2014, 5:07 pm

It's a joke right ?
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 20 Dec 2014, 5:18 pm

Jack V wrote:It's a joke right ?

Why would it be a joke? This seems to be a great idea
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 20 Dec 2014, 6:36 pm

dont think so , i have the same trouble, not so fat just can get my body to move into a position that i can see the fox :oops: and i have to put the spotty away while i get the rifle ,get the whistle, then the fox moves and i pull my hair out :lol: :lol: put a chair in the back of your ute and you have a winner 8-) just one more thing i have to make now :D :D
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 Dec 2014, 7:08 pm

I had the same problem but I put it down to not having three arms, its blody hard to hold the light and shoot at the same time.

My soulition was a lightforce bracket, swivel and a home made detachable pole.

20141220_192436(1).jpg
20141220_192436(1).jpg (282.96 KiB) Viewed 9163 times

20141220_192418(1).jpg
20141220_192418(1).jpg (266.41 KiB) Viewed 9163 times

20141220_192514(1).jpg
20141220_192514(1).jpg (283.52 KiB) Viewed 9163 times

It folds down so you can open the door and is adjustable for tightness on the pivot.

I chopped the original wiring off and replaced it with some very heavy stuff to give me minimal voltave drop over the length of wire.

thats got the light sorted but I still struggle to get my eye over the scope when I'm hanging out the window.
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 20 Dec 2014, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 20 Dec 2014, 7:08 pm

Hey there Scott,
Don't spose you've got an old ute or similar for the following suggestion ?????

What we used to do years back when pro shooting bunnies was,

Get a vehicle similar to what we used (a Suzuki sierra) and take the windscreen right out.
Then get a frame (we used a flat bus window) or similar with sliding panes.
Then pop rivet the frame into the windscreen aperture, and a bit of Selleys All Clear to make the perfect seal against wind, rain, or snow.

You can easily slide whichever one you want open, (we found that just the driver side was usually good enough),, and a surf bar across the bonnet close up to the window was a perfect steady.

Probly wont get thru Roadworthy :lol: :lol: but its perfect for a country / property shooting vehicle.

Whadaya reckon ?????????????????? M8
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Jack V » 20 Dec 2014, 9:19 pm

[quote="NukeBOMB88"][quote="Jack V"]It's a joke right ?[/quote]

Why would it be a joke? This seems to be a great idea[/quote]
A tripod sitting on the bonnet ?
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Dec 2014, 7:14 am

Nope! :D :D I went out last night and shot 2 foxes and 30 or 40 bunnies - I do a report later. ;)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 21 Dec 2014, 7:34 am

I have a set up very similar to one wheels and can hunt to the we late hours of the night no problems!!!! I turn the car to the right position to take the shot? Works well for me
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Dec 2014, 9:37 am

Die Judicii wrote:Hey there Scott,
Don't spose you've got an old ute or similar for the following suggestion ?????

What we used to do years back when pro shooting bunnies was,

Get a vehicle similar to what we used (a Suzuki sierra) and take the windscreen right out.
Then get a frame (we used a flat bus window) or similar with sliding panes.
Then pop rivet the frame into the windscreen aperture, and a bit of Selleys All Clear to make the perfect seal against wind, rain, or snow.

You can easily slide whichever one you want open, (we found that just the driver side was usually good enough),, and a surf bar across the bonnet close up to the window was a perfect steady.

Probly wont get thru Roadworthy :lol: :lol: but its perfect for a country / property shooting vehicle.

Whadaya reckon ?????????????????? M8

No ol paddock basher mate, I used to have a FJ40 SWB that was the perfect spotlighting rig, sadly I sold it :cry: this setup I used last night worked well for the most part so will mod it a bit and it will be my setup for solo spotlighting trips from now on.

I didn't use my little Spotlight/Tripod setup as the window mounted light worked well with the setup I used, I will however give it a run next time out to see what the good and bad are with it, it will work fine I'm sure (perfect for shooting bunnies off the bonnet with under lights).
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Dec 2014, 8:33 pm

This looks a much simpler and vertilie set up, not sure of the cost but may save a lot of mucking around. -

http://www.sportingshootermag.com.au/ne ... and-review
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Dec 2014, 10:26 pm

Yep that looks like a good setup alright, mine didn't need anything more than a screw to bolt it all up so cost nothing to make. I want to get one of those maxbox things for shooting off the roof, I used one a mth ago (shooting off the ground) and it worked fine for that too.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by North East » 21 Dec 2014, 10:59 pm

Looks like you have pretty much sorted it out. Bugger all rabbits down here and I don't worry about them. Love the .204 Ruger though, a great caliber.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Dec 2014, 6:51 am

North East wrote:Looks like you have pretty much sorted it out. Bugger all rabbits down here and I don't worry about them. Love the .204 Ruger though, a great caliber.

Yeah plenty of em around this property at the moment, which is good as I like blowing em up! There's nothing like live targets to at long ranges to test you out. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RoginaJack » 22 Dec 2014, 10:33 am

Yep, the MaXbox shooting rest looks great. I watched a bloke st the range a while back using one and it worked real well - could use it as a rest while cleaning rifle too..

Cheers,
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Dec 2014, 10:48 am

RoginaJack wrote:Yep, the MaXbox shooting rest looks great. I watched a bloke st the range a while back using one and it worked real well - could use it as a rest while cleaning rifle too..

Cheers,

Yeah they do seem like they'd be flexible when it comes to different situations, I like the fact it stayed attached to my rifle when I moved from one spot to the next, no need to carry it at all in that situation :D

I wonder what it would cost to buy the foam and make it myself? :?:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Dec 2014, 10:54 am

I also knocked this up the other day for my solo spotlighting trips (I have trouble shooting out of the drivers side door so with the help of a fella from AHN I came up with this simple solution for shooting out the passenger side, it worked well and I will build a more purpose built version - for the 5mins it took from start to finish it was really a handly little setup.

I'll make one that has a notch cutout so it can slide into the metal headrest poles, the other end will be chamfered down to rest up snugly into the windscreen area so it can't move about (which was the main prob with this version) and I'll mount a live ammo box and also a empty case bag and some permanent padding etc then she should be all sorted.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Antie » 23 Dec 2014, 6:17 am

When I first looked at the picture I didn't click that the light was sitting forward on the bonnet, scale made it look about 2 feet wide :lol:

Looks like it'll do the business :D
Antie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rocker » 23 Dec 2014, 6:18 am

Yeah, nice work Scotty.
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Jack V » 23 Dec 2014, 7:40 am

How can you use that light with it sitting on the bonnet ? How would it even stay there while driving on a rough track ? How could you even reach the light from inside the cab ?
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Dec 2014, 8:29 am

Jack V wrote:How can you use that light with it sitting on the bonnet ? How would it even stay there while driving on a rough track ? How could you even reach the light from inside the cab ?

You can't be serious surely? :shock:

You use it as a stationary setup - ie you know where the bunnies are and park the vehicle, put the light out on the bonnet, set your rifle up etc off bags, hit the switch and start searching for em, find em in the scope and shoot the the little bastards.

The other option is put it on the roof and shoot out of the tray off the roof - remember all this is being done on my own and because I find it difficult/impossible to shoot out the drivers side, so it is one of my options to overcome this limitation, the other is this

That's what I used the other night and worked fairly well, so will go this way I think for most of my mobile spotlighting duties, but the light on the bonnet or off the roof shooting should be another good option too from a high vantage point of view - time will tell and I'll let you know how it all goes when I get around to giving it a run.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Jack V » 23 Dec 2014, 4:12 pm

I see, but that is not what you showed in the first post.

Now it makes sense.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Dec 2014, 4:49 pm

What didn't I show mate, the board inside the cab? that was an after thought when I was speaking to a fella in AHN about my issues of shooting out the Drivers Side, he came up with that suggestion (that's what he uses as he has the same issues).

The light idea was what I was originally intending to use and I will still use it - as I said its for stationary use off the bonnet or off the roof, which it will work fine for I'm sure.

Cheers
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Hinky » 24 Dec 2014, 6:40 am

Nevermind.

Jack just hadn't had his coffee that morning :lol:

:D
Mosin Nagant M1891
Sako Finnbear L61R 25-06
Browning T-Bolt .22LR Sporter
Browning BL22
Hinky
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Bills Shed » 24 Jan 2015, 8:25 am

At the end of the day if it works for you, all the better. I have made many prototypes of walkaround,one person shooting rigs. Most were pretty average. Lead acid batteries, cables and barrel mounted heavy spotlights. As a kid there was not the choice- none- of what there is now with LED scope mounted lights and long life batteries. We are spoilt but I love the techknowlogy!!
When I got a vehicle licence; a vehicle mounted set up was the next problem to solve. I am a lefty and so driver side shooting is easy and natural.
I have had the privilage of seeing how machine guns are mounted to helicopters and how they manage to get then in and out the small windows for the load masters. With that in mind I set about building a triple articulated gun mount that could be operated with one hand was able to support the rifle when not in use, and not stick out the window to far while driving in close country. After several prototypes I came up with this mount for my paddock beast. The rifle is shown in the stowed position and when the door is closed the rifle is almost pointing backward and the rifle butt is next to the right hand side of the dash board. The door bracket has the standard support arm on the outside that sits against the bottom of the door to support the weight of the over hanging rifle and mount. It only take a second to lift the pistol grip out of its bracket and swing the rifle to bear. The other hand can operate the roof mounted light mounted over the drivers door if need be.
Attachments
Rifle mount 2.jpg
Rifle mount 2.jpg (169 KiB) Viewed 8260 times
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Jack V » 24 Jan 2015, 8:53 am

Bills Shed wrote:At the end of the day if it works for you, all the better. I have made many prototypes of walkaround,one person shooting rigs. Most were pretty average. Lead acid batteries, cables and barrel mounted heavy spotlights. As a kid there was not the choice- none- of what there is now with LED scope mounted lights and long life batteries. We are spoilt but I love the techknowlogy!!
When I got a vehicle licence; a vehicle mounted set up was the next problem to solve. I am a lefty and so driver side shooting is easy and natural.
I have had the privilage of seeing how machine guns are mounted to helicopters and how they manage to get then in and out the small windows for the load masters. With that in mind I set about building a triple articulated gun mount that could be operated with one hand was able to support the rifle when not in use, and not stick out the window to far while driving in close country. After several prototypes I came up with this mount for my paddock beast. The rifle is shown in the stowed position and when the door is closed the rifle is almost pointing backward and the rifle butt is next to the right hand side of the dash board. The door bracket has the standard support arm on the outside that sits against the bottom of the door to support the weight of the over hanging rifle and mount. It only take a second to lift the pistol grip out of its bracket and swing the rifle to bear. The other hand can operate the roof mounted light mounted over the drivers door if need be.

It's a great concept Bill . The only thing that worries me is the potential to wipe the gun out on a tree limb or scrub as you drive past . Don't get me wrong , I am loving the idea and have thought about similar . In open country when you are driving your own truck it would be no problem .
How does the gun shoot locked in like that with restricted recoil tracking ?
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 24 Jan 2015, 9:01 am

Hinky wrote:Nevermind.

Jack just hadn't had his coffee that morning :lol:

:D

He never used the word "stationary " in the first post and showed the tripod sitting on the bonnet .
I though he meant driving around with a tripod just siting on the bonnet .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 24 Jan 2015, 9:08 am

Not to sure what you mean by restricted recoil. The rifle recoils normaly as the piviots are not fixed and are free to rotate as the rifle / gun mount moves. Recoil is still absorbed by the shoulder. Tracking is easy as all piviots are greased and swinging the rifle with one hand is effortless. It is a rock steady mount. The main draw back is engine vibration. The ignition key fixes that for the 150m+ shots. Recoil is very low as I mainly fit the 17 Hornet to the mount. There is not much that little calibre can not handle in Tas! I do not chase deer.
As for getting wiped out by a tree limb; while driving the butt is next to the right hand side of the dash board, inside the vehicle, and the barrel is only about 75 mm out side the window. The scope and action are about level with the window slit. You will wipe out you side mirror before you hit the rifle. If I am in that close country I should be using a shotgun. :drinks:
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by cruze82 » 24 Jan 2015, 9:50 am

great design bills shed I might have to look into copying this one

we shoot in a lot of very open country so this would be perfect
cruze82
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bills Shed » 24 Jan 2015, 10:13 am

No dramas. Put the money on the fridge to cover the copyright. :drinks: Just note that when building it you will have to experiment as to where you put the first pivot point (door mount) as that wil govern where the butt sits in relation to the dash board. When positioning the door mount you need to take into account the interior door handle and opening mechanism. The great advantage of this type of mount is that you do not need to remove the rifle off the mount each time you want to get out of the vehicle. Just clear the action and drop into the pistol grip storage mount. Please note that there are four pivots in order to keep it compact and flexable at all vehicle angles.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment