Hard gun case, Cheap?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Hard gun case, Cheap?

Post by rsj223 » 23 Dec 2014, 9:46 pm

Need to know of how and what you guy's are using to transport your rifles in the car.

Is there any good one's that are under $100
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Hard gun case, Cheep?

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Dec 2014, 10:06 pm

I find the hard cases a PITA to be honest, I'd rather the soft cases any day (I own both).
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by rsj223 » 23 Dec 2014, 11:05 pm

I have soft covers and find them ok but worried about knocking the scope so even looking at ways to transport them, maybe hook them up?
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Dec 2014, 11:17 pm

rsj223 wrote:I have soft covers and find them ok but worried about knocking the scope so even looking at ways to transport them, maybe hook them up?

I can't say I've ever had an issue with knocking the scope or even denting the rifle for that matter, I pack em right and so far all good after 35yrs ;) If I'm shooting locally I just put em on the back seat, if it's a longer trip I will often wrap em all up in a blanket or 2 just to give em that extra bit of protection (usually cart em in a trailer) which is lockable and they've been fine in there too and that includes bouncing along dirt tracks 4wding to get to our shooting spots. Maybe buy thicker soft cases?

There are lots of cheap alloy cases out there, so there should be something that tickles ya fancy so to speak, I think the things to look out for them are hinges and locks etc and the corners.

The thing I found with the hard cases was their length, which often wouldn't fit on the back seat like the soft cases and trying to get em in the boot was a PITA at times too.

Anyway mate good luck whichever way you go. (maybe measure your vehicle and double check that it will fit where you normally carry them, just to be sure you don't run into the issues I had.

cheers
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: Hard gun case, Cheap?

Post by Wes » 26 Dec 2014, 7:46 am

Plano make some plastic ones which are about $100 - $120 I think.

This one... 1531-01 Pro-Max Single Gun Case
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 26 Dec 2014, 7:49 am

rsj223 wrote:Need to know of how and what you guy's are using to transport your rifles in the car.

Not hard cases either.

I have soft cases with an inch of the eggshell holder foam on each side. 3 for my 2 hunting rifles and 22 BR rifle.

We take some pretty rocky 4WD paths when them in the back bouncing around all over the place and never had a problem.

I've got this one, Spika, but there are plenty the same I'm sure that are just as good.

spika_bag.jpg
spika_bag.jpg (26.76 KiB) Viewed 3521 times
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Tiiger » 26 Dec 2014, 8:06 am

rsj223 wrote:I have soft covers and find them ok but worried about knocking the scope so even looking at ways to transport them, maybe hook them up?

They're pretty tough mate, it'll take more than a bump through a bag to damage your scope.

If you were really worried get a soft bag with some padding.

Otherwise... You could cut a rectangle of foam to wrap around the scope from the top when it goes into the bag. I've see a few do that.

Also been using soft bags for years without hassle though I'll add.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by VICHunter » 26 Dec 2014, 8:07 am

bigfellascott wrote:The thing I found with the hard cases was their length, which often wouldn't fit on the back seat like the soft cases and trying to get em in the boot was a PITA at times too.

Agreed. They're too difficult to pack with everything else unless you have excess space.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 27 Dec 2014, 8:08 pm

Have decided to stay with the soft covers, I have three kids so the back seat is gone, will be fitting a shelf in the back of my 4x4 so it will be better to pack and may incorporate a place to sit the rifles.

Thanks for the help.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 28 Dec 2014, 10:40 pm

Planno pillar lock case. Mine cost me $25 + shipping, total was about $70 a while back

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-GG1511-05

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Vati » 30 Dec 2014, 7:51 pm

rsj223 wrote:Thanks for the help.

Help in talking you out of them? :lol:
Reach out and touch...
Vati