Safe size

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Safe size

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Jan 2015, 6:13 pm

I'm just looking at buying a new safe. There are plenty around. I found a 7 gun safe and I need room for 6 firearms. 2 shotguns, 1 .22 LR and 3 centre fires. All rifles have scopes fitted.
The advertised size if the safe is: H 1450* W 400* D300mm

Looks like it will be close. What is your experience, will these dimensions cut the mustard?
PS No expectation of expanding the collection.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Safe size

Post by North East » 06 Jan 2015, 6:22 pm

If it's advertised as an 8 gun safe it will probably only fit 4 if the rifles are scoped. Totally unrealistic figures put out by safe manufacturers. My safe is said to hold 4 but I can only fit a .204 and .30-06 in it. Go big.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by GPostal » 06 Jan 2015, 6:33 pm

I have 2 x 10 gun safes.
After some cutting and modding 1 can hold up to16 unscoped rifles (223's and above)
The other just manages 4 unscoped and 5 scoped (4x.22's, 5x 303 and above)
Last edited by GPostal on 06 Jan 2015, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some .22's--Lots of 303 Lithgows--Tactical Mosin--7mm and an 8mm--Underover--Farmers Shottie--Angel and Omark
GPostal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by mickn » 06 Jan 2015, 6:34 pm

no way will you fit all of those in that safe. even if you bought two that size you'd struggle.
mickn
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 06 Jan 2015, 6:53 pm

wash your mouth out not gunna expand.....what are you soft?

To house 6 firearms comfortably you'll need a 10gunner.... Dont get hung up about fitting everything in ne safe...I dont mind multiple 'cabinets' myself, and prefer Aussie made, harder to find but I prefer Supporting our guys than the chinese product (=most everything) plus the chinesy safes are tinny as buggery.... do the knuckle test, they ring like a bell - not a great deal of steel in there.....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Jan 2015, 6:54 pm

Well at 400mm wide that would be about 66 mm per fire arm not allowing for clearance
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 06 Jan 2015, 8:47 pm

Yeah you won't fit them in, I'd go a 10 gun or bigger.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by ex_reven » 06 Jan 2015, 10:24 pm

I'd ask around and see if someone can fabricate something up for it.
I have a cabinet out of stainless that meets A+B requirements and I had 10 rifles in it at one point, 5 of them scoped.

Its probably about the equivalent size of what most gunshops would sell as a "7" gun safe.
Custom 6mm Dasher
Sako 85, Sako Quad,
K98, K98 Sniper, No 4 Mk 1/2, Norinco JW25a
Kimber 1911 .45ACP, S&W 629 .44 Mag, Walther PPQ, Walther P22, S&W 686, Colt Gold Cup
Akkar Churchill, Crossman 1077
ex_reven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Korkt » 07 Jan 2015, 12:07 pm

Another vote for not fitting, at least not well.

Saying they hold half what they state is a bit dramatic... But it's less than the stated number to do it comfortably. 6 guns needs a 9/10 gun safe. IMO.

You 6 would "fit" in the one you're looking at probably, but they'd all be leaning against each other and to get one out you'd have to take others out of the way which get's old reeeeeally fast.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 08 Jan 2015, 2:01 pm

My 16 would hold 12 rifles, side by side all the way around. Just.

Any more they'd be tangled and impossible to add/remove without continually scratching and knowing each other.

(only have 3 rifles but can tell from having them in different spots around the safe)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jan 2015, 2:10 pm

Did a measure up yesterday. A 400mm wide safe will hold 6 but they are likely to get scratched or I will need to juggle them a bit. Also noticed that the bolts are a bit of an issue. If you remove them during storage it gives you a bit more room! I will go for one that is at least 500mm wide and 350mm deep and ignore what the sales people state regarding the capacity.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ex_reven » 08 Jan 2015, 4:29 pm

Most bolts don't take up that much room unless you have a straight bolt handle rifle (looking at you nagant owners!) or leave your bolts open in the safe.
Custom 6mm Dasher
Sako 85, Sako Quad,
K98, K98 Sniper, No 4 Mk 1/2, Norinco JW25a
Kimber 1911 .45ACP, S&W 629 .44 Mag, Walther PPQ, Walther P22, S&W 686, Colt Gold Cup
Akkar Churchill, Crossman 1077
ex_reven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jan 2015, 9:21 pm

Paid a bit extra and got a better quality 12 gun safe. For an exta $70 or $80 a big jump in quality and plenty of room. Unfortunately made in china like all the others. They must make them for peanuts over there.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by anthillinside » 08 Jan 2015, 9:32 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Paid a bit extra and got a better quality 12 gun safe. For an exta $70 or $80 a big jump in quality and plenty of room.

Yep, space is money and well worth it.

Oldbloke wrote:Unfortunately made in china like all the others. They must make them for peanuts over there.

And doesn't that cheese you off.

We sell and ship em iron ore and coal to make steal.

They put it together (just how much work is in a gun safe? stuff all)

Then its shipped back here, and we can't compete with the price, something's wrong with this world :cry:
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by keen » 09 Jan 2015, 8:49 am

ex_reven wrote:Most bolts don't take up that much room unless you have a straight bolt handle rifle (looking at you nagant owners!)

Completely off topic but I've seen a few places do bolt hand kits to fix that for the nagants.

Just FYI for any interested owners.

I'll go now :lol:
Henry .22LR Lever Action
.308 Howa Sporter
keen
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by lole » 09 Jan 2015, 8:50 am

Oldbloke wrote:I will go for one that is at least 500mm wide and 350mm deep and ignore what the sales people state regarding the capacity.

You're a wise man sir! :D
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mausermate » 09 Jan 2015, 7:48 pm

I have a number of safes, most 500 wide. I space my firearms 80mm apart. I store my firearms muzzle down. I make a rack for each safe with a bit of ply that will hold the butt and cut it with a jigsaw and line it with old felt, then glue it in the safe. 500mm safe fits 6 guns. Rag in the bottom of the safe to absorb what dizzles out the barrel. Much prefer it that way than into my action and trigger and down my nice stock.
You can do it muzzle up if you like. up to you.
Make your rack so the scopes don't bump on the back of the safe.
Last edited by mausermate on 10 Jan 2015, 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Jan 2015, 8:11 pm

mausermate wrote:I have a number of safes, most 500 wide. I space my firearms 80mm apart. I store my firearms muzzle down. I make a rack for each safe with a bit of ply that will hold the butt and cut it with a jigsaw and line it with old felt, then glue it in the safe. 500mm safe fits 6 guns. Rag in the bottom of the safe to absorb what dizzles out the barrel. Much prefer it that way than into my action and trigger and down my nice stock.
You can do it muzzle up if you like. up to you.
Make your rack so the scopes don't bump on the back of the safe.

Correct. They state 8 to 10 but at 500mm wide it only holds 6. At a pinch might squeeze in 1 or 2 more. But not on a permanant basis. Will look at the muzzle down idea a little later. Bolted down now.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by headwerkn » 10 Jan 2015, 9:52 am

LOL. My 7-gun Hyskor has more than twice that number in it at the moment. Mind you, only 6 are scoped and anything that matters is in a gun sock. You'll be surprised how much you can squeeze into a basic safe with a little creative rifle Tetris... just don't expect to get at anything in a hurry! :-D

I really do need a second, much larger safe, however I'll sit on my hands until our new Firearms Act finally gets tabled and passed, as changes to minimum storage requirements are being flagged.
headwerkn
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Jan 2015, 3:24 pm

If I put some in upside down would fit a few more. LOL
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by inervate » 12 Jan 2015, 12:05 pm

headwerkn wrote:I really do need a second, much larger safe, however I'll sit on my hands until our new Firearms Act finally gets tabled and passed, as changes to minimum storage requirements are being flagged.

:unknown: Hmm? New firearms act? Where we talking about...
Weatherby Varmintmaster .224 Wby Mag
Tikka T3 Hunter Fluted 30-06
Marlin 57M Levermatic .22 Win Mag
inervate
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Press » 12 Jan 2015, 12:07 pm

Anyone do the extra rack on the door to swing some into the empty middle of their safe?
Howa 'bout it?

Howa Hunter 308
Marlin 444
Howa Talon 25-06
Winchester 1900 22LR
Press
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Jan 2015, 9:04 pm

Press wrote:Anyone do the extra rack on the door to swing some into the empty middle of their safe?

What a great, simple idea. I will do tnat if I need to add a few.

Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions. Safe is bolted down and all 6 fit ok. :D
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by headwerkn » 12 Jan 2015, 10:22 pm

inervate wrote::unknown: Hmm? New firearms act? Where we talking about...

Tassie. The Act has been under review since 2008 and the current government has promised to finally table something to parliament this year.

Good news is that paintballing will most likely become legal again here, and minimum age for a minor's permit will be reduced, albeit from 16 to 15 most likely, instead of 12 as inline with most other states. At some point people in the know seemed confident the bid to have pump action shotguns reclassified as Cat A might come through, but I've not heard anything in a while.

Bad news is that they're very likely to increase minimum standards for storage... safes will have to be min. 3mm think steel, wooden cabinets might likely will cease to be legal any more. Also some noise about mandatory B2B alarm systems for 15+ collections, though fingers crossed they will realise how difficult and pointless that is to implement, given less than 400 licence holders in the state have above that number of firearms.
headwerkn
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Press » 13 Jan 2015, 9:07 am

Oldbloke wrote:What a great, simple idea. I will do that if I need to add a few.

You'd think so, only seems to be a feature on real big safes though. 30 gun kind of stuff.

Wondered if anyone had DIY one for a bit of extra utility. Could only cost $10 - $20 for a rack vs buying a larger safe after all.
Howa 'bout it?

Howa Hunter 308
Marlin 444
Howa Talon 25-06
Winchester 1900 22LR
Press
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by inervate » 13 Jan 2015, 9:08 am

headwerkn wrote:Tassie. The Act has been under review since 2008 and the current government has promised to finally table something to parliament this year.

Aaah I see.
Weatherby Varmintmaster .224 Wby Mag
Tikka T3 Hunter Fluted 30-06
Marlin 57M Levermatic .22 Win Mag
inervate
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by whert » 13 Jan 2015, 9:09 am

headwerkn wrote:Good news is that paintballing will most likely become legal again here

It's illegal to own a paintball marker there?

Or illegal to play at a proper place at all? :|
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ebr love » 13 Jan 2015, 9:11 am

headwerkn wrote:Also some noise about mandatory B2B alarm systems for 15+ collections, though fingers crossed they will realise how difficult and pointless that is to implement

You could be out of luck there.

The 15+ requiring BTB alarm is already a requirement here in NSW and in VIC too I know. Other states too maybe?

You're probably next if that's on the table.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by headwerkn » 14 Jan 2015, 6:36 pm

whert wrote:It's illegal to own a paintball marker there?
Or illegal to play at a proper place at all? :|

Both. For the state with the highest gun ownership per capita in the country. But laser tag is legal. Go figure.

ebr love wrote:
headwerkn wrote:Also some noise about mandatory B2B alarm systems for 15+ collections, though fingers crossed they will realise how difficult and pointless that is to implement

You could be out of luck there.

The 15+ requiring BTB alarm is already a requirement here in NSW and in VIC too I know. Other states too maybe?

You're probably next if that's on the table.

Yes, I know, which is a worry as someone planning to well exceed that number in the coming years. In our favour though is the fact that a mere 1% of licenced owners here have 15 or more firearms, there's been no reports that I'm aware of crims/gangs stealing from collectors, and that a number of collectors with significant collections don't even have hard telephone lines to their places... which would make B2B alarms a tricky proposition.

I personally don't see what bit of difference a B2B alarm would make, other than being a giant pain in the arse and perhaps deterring some people from collecting (perhaps part of their plan?. I don't live in a particularly isolated rural area, but the police station is still a good 15-20 min drive at 'spirited' speeds away from here. As I see it, that's 10-15 mins more than they need to take what they want and bugger off. Assuming the local copper was at the station at the time, of course, which he rarely is.

With any luck they'll realise it would be a big waste of time and money they don't have to spend. Our current Police Minister is a shooter and got sued by Roland Browne about 10 years ago, so provided he doesn't get hosed down by Hodgeman, hopefully the amendments will focus on hitting crims harder and just leave LAFOs more or less alone.
headwerkn
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by whert » 15 Jan 2015, 9:59 am

headwerkn wrote:Both. For the state with the highest gun ownership per capita in the country. But laser tag is legal. Go figure.

Stupid :unknown:

They're just another category you have added to your license here.
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment