Safe size

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Safe size

Post by headwerkn » 10 Jan 2015, 9:52 am

LOL. My 7-gun Hyskor has more than twice that number in it at the moment. Mind you, only 6 are scoped and anything that matters is in a gun sock. You'll be surprised how much you can squeeze into a basic safe with a little creative rifle Tetris... just don't expect to get at anything in a hurry! :-D

I really do need a second, much larger safe, however I'll sit on my hands until our new Firearms Act finally gets tabled and passed, as changes to minimum storage requirements are being flagged.
headwerkn
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Jan 2015, 3:24 pm

If I put some in upside down would fit a few more. LOL
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by inervate » 12 Jan 2015, 12:05 pm

headwerkn wrote:I really do need a second, much larger safe, however I'll sit on my hands until our new Firearms Act finally gets tabled and passed, as changes to minimum storage requirements are being flagged.

:unknown: Hmm? New firearms act? Where we talking about...
Weatherby Varmintmaster .224 Wby Mag
Tikka T3 Hunter Fluted 30-06
Marlin 57M Levermatic .22 Win Mag
inervate
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Press » 12 Jan 2015, 12:07 pm

Anyone do the extra rack on the door to swing some into the empty middle of their safe?
Howa 'bout it?

Howa Hunter 308
Marlin 444
Howa Talon 25-06
Winchester 1900 22LR
Press
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Jan 2015, 9:04 pm

Press wrote:Anyone do the extra rack on the door to swing some into the empty middle of their safe?

What a great, simple idea. I will do tnat if I need to add a few.

Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions. Safe is bolted down and all 6 fit ok. :D
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by headwerkn » 12 Jan 2015, 10:22 pm

inervate wrote::unknown: Hmm? New firearms act? Where we talking about...

Tassie. The Act has been under review since 2008 and the current government has promised to finally table something to parliament this year.

Good news is that paintballing will most likely become legal again here, and minimum age for a minor's permit will be reduced, albeit from 16 to 15 most likely, instead of 12 as inline with most other states. At some point people in the know seemed confident the bid to have pump action shotguns reclassified as Cat A might come through, but I've not heard anything in a while.

Bad news is that they're very likely to increase minimum standards for storage... safes will have to be min. 3mm think steel, wooden cabinets might likely will cease to be legal any more. Also some noise about mandatory B2B alarm systems for 15+ collections, though fingers crossed they will realise how difficult and pointless that is to implement, given less than 400 licence holders in the state have above that number of firearms.
headwerkn
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Press » 13 Jan 2015, 9:07 am

Oldbloke wrote:What a great, simple idea. I will do that if I need to add a few.

You'd think so, only seems to be a feature on real big safes though. 30 gun kind of stuff.

Wondered if anyone had DIY one for a bit of extra utility. Could only cost $10 - $20 for a rack vs buying a larger safe after all.
Howa 'bout it?

Howa Hunter 308
Marlin 444
Howa Talon 25-06
Winchester 1900 22LR
Press
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by inervate » 13 Jan 2015, 9:08 am

headwerkn wrote:Tassie. The Act has been under review since 2008 and the current government has promised to finally table something to parliament this year.

Aaah I see.
Weatherby Varmintmaster .224 Wby Mag
Tikka T3 Hunter Fluted 30-06
Marlin 57M Levermatic .22 Win Mag
inervate
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by whert » 13 Jan 2015, 9:09 am

headwerkn wrote:Good news is that paintballing will most likely become legal again here

It's illegal to own a paintball marker there?

Or illegal to play at a proper place at all? :|
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ebr love » 13 Jan 2015, 9:11 am

headwerkn wrote:Also some noise about mandatory B2B alarm systems for 15+ collections, though fingers crossed they will realise how difficult and pointless that is to implement

You could be out of luck there.

The 15+ requiring BTB alarm is already a requirement here in NSW and in VIC too I know. Other states too maybe?

You're probably next if that's on the table.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by headwerkn » 14 Jan 2015, 6:36 pm

whert wrote:It's illegal to own a paintball marker there?
Or illegal to play at a proper place at all? :|

Both. For the state with the highest gun ownership per capita in the country. But laser tag is legal. Go figure.

ebr love wrote:
headwerkn wrote:Also some noise about mandatory B2B alarm systems for 15+ collections, though fingers crossed they will realise how difficult and pointless that is to implement

You could be out of luck there.

The 15+ requiring BTB alarm is already a requirement here in NSW and in VIC too I know. Other states too maybe?

You're probably next if that's on the table.

Yes, I know, which is a worry as someone planning to well exceed that number in the coming years. In our favour though is the fact that a mere 1% of licenced owners here have 15 or more firearms, there's been no reports that I'm aware of crims/gangs stealing from collectors, and that a number of collectors with significant collections don't even have hard telephone lines to their places... which would make B2B alarms a tricky proposition.

I personally don't see what bit of difference a B2B alarm would make, other than being a giant pain in the arse and perhaps deterring some people from collecting (perhaps part of their plan?. I don't live in a particularly isolated rural area, but the police station is still a good 15-20 min drive at 'spirited' speeds away from here. As I see it, that's 10-15 mins more than they need to take what they want and bugger off. Assuming the local copper was at the station at the time, of course, which he rarely is.

With any luck they'll realise it would be a big waste of time and money they don't have to spend. Our current Police Minister is a shooter and got sued by Roland Browne about 10 years ago, so provided he doesn't get hosed down by Hodgeman, hopefully the amendments will focus on hitting crims harder and just leave LAFOs more or less alone.
headwerkn
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by whert » 15 Jan 2015, 9:59 am

headwerkn wrote:Both. For the state with the highest gun ownership per capita in the country. But laser tag is legal. Go figure.

Stupid :unknown:

They're just another category you have added to your license here.
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ebr love » 15 Jan 2015, 10:01 am

Fingers crossed for you then.
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Nothing worse.

Post by mausermate » 16 Jan 2015, 9:53 am

This useless and untrue piece of information graced the pages our forum a few days ago.
ebr love wrote:The 15+ requiring BTB alarm is already a requirement here in NSW and in VIC too I know. Other states too maybe?

What a load of crap.
There is no such law in NSW that owners of more than 15 firearms must have back to base security. Total made up drivel.

Next time you want to say something on a public forum "get your facts right".
Suggestion to EBR LOVE, delete your post then go to settings and delete yourself.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Nothing worse.

Post by tom604 » 16 Jan 2015, 11:10 am

wow ,thank goodness you don't over react :sarcasm: :lol: :lol: you could of suggested ebr stay :silent: ? so your not :friends: or :drinks: buddies :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Guliver » 16 Jan 2015, 1:21 pm

Why wasn't this posted in the thread that offends you?

Surely you could discuss your thoughts in the original thread.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Aster » 16 Jan 2015, 3:22 pm

Above 3 replies merged from other topic.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by ebr love » 16 Jan 2015, 5:30 pm

mausermate wrote:This useless and untrue piece of information graced the pages our forum a few days ago.
ebr love wrote:The 15+ requiring BTB alarm is already a requirement here in NSW and in VIC too I know. Other states too maybe?

What a load of crap.
There is no such law in NSW that owners of more than 15 firearms must have back to base security. Total made up drivel.

Next time you want to say something on a public forum "get your facts right".
Suggestion to EBR LOVE, delete your post then go to settings and delete yourself.

Nothing worse? How about a pointless temper tantrum?

Victoria Firearms Act schedule 4 item 1(2)

If more than 15 firearms are stored on the premises where the firearm is stored, the premises must be fitted with an intruder alarm system—

NSW firearms regulations section 75 item 5(c)

(5) If the security firm is authorised to possess more than 15 firearms, the following requirements apply:

(c) the premises on which the firearms are stored must:
(i) have an intruder alarm and duress facilities that are monitored off-site and are of an approved type, and
(ii) be of an approved type, and
(iii) be equipped with 24-hour video surveillance of an approved type, and

So I made a mistake and in NSW the 15 guns/alarm information applies security firms, not private residence. My information about Victoria was correct.

My point was, it is legislation in a state other, which sets a precedent for it becoming legislation in Tasmania. Nothing in my error or your pointless tantrum changes the validity of that.

Next time you want to say something on a public forum how about you try and say something helpful instead of being a d**khead?

I think I'll stay. If you get this frustrated over a little conversation maybe you should go.
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sbd3927 » 16 Jan 2015, 6:09 pm

I found the 3mm more stood out more than the alarm position. {without checking state requirements etc...} Isn't 2mm body std across the board. If any State were to require an upgrade to 3mm there needs to be a lot of jumping up and down and requiring proof of instances where the 1mm difference would have prevented a theft. Any pen pusher deciding an upgrade is required needs to cough up some evidence or funds to support it.

I think my gun safe is 2mm body, 4mm door, although I have a 3/6 which was Cat C/D I think, that's used for tools in the shed rather than guns in the house. Seven years and counting, still waiting for that first inspection, probably couldn't get past the always closed gate and dog for a surprise inspection.
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by anthillinside » 17 Jan 2015, 10:21 am

Legislation is all in the numbers and varies from state to state.
Victoria (the only one I'm interested in in this case)
You have to read it all and then go look up all the references and then look up the referenced references ad infinitum :thumbsdown:
Sch.4
For AB
(2) If more than 15 firearms are stored on the
premises where the firearm is stored, the premises
must be fitted with an intruder alarm system—
(a) the installation, maintenance and operation
of which complies with Australian Standard
2201.1:2007 (as amended from time to time);
and
(b) which, in the event of an intrusion, activates
an audible alarm warning device and an
external visible alarm warning light.
Additional for CD
(2A) The key to the container in which the firearm is
stored must—
(a) be carried by the holder of the licence; or
(b) be kept securely in a separate room from the
container—
when the container is not being accessed.

ASA 2201.1 deals with the client premises.
There is no mention of monitoring (back to base)
Monitoring is covered in ASA 2201.2
:crazy:
SAI Global guy at work said if it says xxx.1 then thats where you have to comply to and no further.
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by pajamatime » 18 Jan 2015, 1:23 am

this may help...can't find this in Australia though so probably have to fork out a bit more to get them from America?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gun-Storage-Sol ... 1274080005
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by inventurkey » 19 Jan 2015, 10:06 am

Kinda clever with the velcro rods.

No luck if you on the side of 'muzzle down' storage argument though.
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment