Which bipod? Harris, Champion etc.

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Which bipod? Harris, Champion etc.

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Nov 2016, 6:32 pm

RoginaJack wrote:I've been using the shooting sticks for about 12 months now and have found them to be heaps better suited to my type of shooting - sitting (on a stool) calling feral dogs, foxes, cats etc or standing shooting and specially in hilly country.
Anyway, just my 2cents worth.
Cheers

Have you tried shooting anything at say 200-300m with them mate? Curious to see if they are up to that sort of range.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Nov 2016, 6:54 pm

RoginaJack wrote:I've been using the shooting sticks for about 12 months now and have found them to be heaps better suited to my type of shooting - sitting (on a stool) calling feral dogs, foxes, cats etc or standing shooting and specially in hilly country.
Anyway, just my 2cents worth.
Cheers

Did you just make some wooden ones?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by albat » 13 Nov 2016, 7:09 pm

http://www.bipodshootingstick.com im using these got em from the states extremely versatile and light to carry
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wade06 » 13 Nov 2016, 7:17 pm

Thanks Albat... looks interesting.
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Nov 2016, 8:47 pm

This bloke uses dowel and string. You could use arrows or alluminium tube too.
Simple but effective.
https://youtu.be/cN5FSYJvP9k
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 13 Nov 2016, 9:46 pm

BIGFELLASCOTT - na, the scrub been too thick for 300 but I can't see why they wouldn't provide a steady rest to 300 or possibly beyond.

And OLDBLOKE looked at alum. tent poles but bought a Spika set. not expensive and does me. Can use as a stand alone rifle rest when I'm sitting. There is a better set, a bit expensive but it has a trigger type grip on the main pole to raise or lower the legs, can't think of the brand. This would be quicker.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by d3driver » 08 May 2017, 2:29 pm

albat wrote:http://www.bipodshootingstick.com im using these got em from the states extremely versatile and light to carry

Thanks a lot for this link, they look like exactly what I'm after
Currently:
Weatherby VG S2 in .223 in Boyds Thumbhole, Leupold VX3 3.5-10x50
Sako Finnfire Hunter .22, Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 (my old .22 bought back)
d3driver
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 08 May 2017, 2:35 pm

I've tried the shooting sticks and I didn't like them at all, way too much movement for my liking compared to bipods - I couldn't imagine I could nail bunnies in the head at 300m or more using them (I was flatout hitting bunnies at 50m lol) each to their own of course but definitely didn't suit my shooting ability.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by d3driver » 10 May 2017, 11:14 am

bigfellascott wrote:I've tried the shooting sticks and I didn't like them at all, way too much movement for my liking compared to bipods - I couldn't imagine I could nail bunnies in the head at 300m or more using them (I was flatout hitting bunnies at 50m lol) each to their own of course but definitely didn't suit my shooting ability.

Thanks for the info BFS. My mate has ordered 2 pairs, so we will see how they go. I'll update in a while.
Currently:
Weatherby VG S2 in .223 in Boyds Thumbhole, Leupold VX3 3.5-10x50
Sako Finnfire Hunter .22, Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 (my old .22 bought back)
d3driver
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 May 2017, 8:43 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I've tried the shooting sticks and I didn't like them at all, way too much movement for my liking compared to bipods - I couldn't imagine I could nail bunnies in the head at 300m or more using them (I was flatout hitting bunnies at 50m lol) each to their own of course but definitely didn't suit my shooting ability.

Horses for courses.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 10 May 2017, 9:20 pm

the weapon.

Badspeak unless you are serving military.

Harris cant adjustable are very good, you can lash out on a podlock to set the rifle up on uneven ground but it is pretty easy to modify the std Harris knurled wheel thing to accept a piece of drill shank or whatever to allow more leverage / locking friction.

Atlas and such are very good engineering but I doubt Carlos Hathcock would have tolerated the extra weight, a full on "Tacticool" rifle would need to be vehicle mounted at my age !
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 10 May 2017, 10:26 pm

d3driver wrote:

Thanks for the info BFS. My mate has ordered 2 pairs, so we will see how they go. I'll update in a while.

Too easy mate, hopefully they suit/work better for you than they did me. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sungazer » 11 May 2017, 8:48 am

We all have are differences the LGS convinced me to buy a Vanguard I hat the bloody thing. Always fighting the cant the legs move around way to much.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Previous

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment