Red light filters. Spotlight, torch etc.

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Red light filters. Spotlight, torch etc.

Post by horter » 14 Jan 2015, 12:21 pm

It's tough to tell from pictures so maybe I'm missing something here.

Red spotlighting filters, clip on torch filters etc.

Looking at pictures just looks to make things a bit dull and murky.

Are they meant to be gentler on the eyes or what's the story?
Ruger Hawkeye All Weather in .30-06
Sako L61R 7mm Rem Mag
Sako L461 Vixen .222 Rem
Savage 42 combination 22 WMR/410 bore
horter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Red light filters. Spotlight, torch etc.

Post by Baronvonrort » 14 Jan 2015, 12:48 pm

Red lights don't affect your night vision or ability to see in the dark like white lights do,your eyes don't adjust to red lights like they do with white light in the dark.

In yacht racing we use red lights at night instead of white for this reason.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Guliver » 14 Jan 2015, 12:57 pm

The above is true to a certain extent, there is a threshold above which a red light will screw up your night vision.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 14 Jan 2015, 4:56 pm

horter wrote:It's tough to tell from pictures so maybe I'm missing something here.

Red spotlighting filters, clip on torch filters etc.

Looking at pictures just looks to make things a bit dull and murky.

Are they meant to be gentler on the eyes or what's the story?

Most game don't see the spotlight when it is red. They will spook because something is not quite right but they sit a little longer.

Blue works well too.

Never hurts to try something different when spotlighting, vary lights, time of night, what vehicle you use (or work on that flabby gut and go for a walk), windy calm, rainy etc etc...........
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Guliver » 14 Jan 2015, 5:15 pm

I always thought blue was used for following a blood trail in the dark.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Jan 2015, 5:35 pm

The biggest thing I notice with filters is the drop in distance that the light goes, I've tried a few and didn't particularly like them so just went back to the white light. I guess give em a go mate and see how they work for you.

You can get LED Lights now that have diff coloured LED's which are supposed to work ok (they don't seem to loose the distance as much from what I'm hearing) haven't used one so can't say for certain.

Theres a fella on AHN that goes by the name of Fenring, he makes up his own LEDs that use red and green LEDs which are popular with those who do walk abouts shooting and spotlighting etc.

I just got given a HID 55w Max Lume spotty, so will be giving that a good run next time I'm out chasing red dogs, from the testing we've done using it so far it sure does throw a bloody long way and is adjustable for spread and spot, we spotted 5 from memory and got 3 (other two didn't want to hang around long enough for my mate to plug em) I've been wondering how a red filter would go on it seeing how it;s so bloody powerful, I might buy a red one and give it a crack I think.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by petemacsydney » 14 Jan 2015, 7:42 pm

interesting topic, i was only thinking of this the other day..

does anyone know if you can make your light a 'red light' just by using some red cellophane? (instead of a proper red light filter or red light globe)

obviously it will look red to us ;-), but i wonder if red cellophane is not the same as a true red light to an animal??

cheers p
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Jan 2015, 7:48 pm

petemacsydney wrote:interesting topic, i was only thinking of this the other day..

does anyone know if you can make your light a 'red light' just by using some red cellophane? (instead of a proper red light filter or red light globe)

obviously it will look red to us ;-), but i wonder if red cellophane is not the same as a true red light to an animal??

cheers p

Yeah I've used the Red Cellophane - it works ok but the same issue with shorter light throw, all I can say is give it a go and see if it works for your needs, it was ok for me but I did notice a good 100 odd mtr drop in usable light range.

Try it and let us know how you found it. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Jan 2015, 7:49 pm

The other thing you can do is cut a hole in the filter - say 1" diameter, I'm lead to believe that works fairly well and gives a bit more light out further.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by petemacsydney » 14 Jan 2015, 8:16 pm

thx Big Fella, i'm back hunting in a few weeks, so i'll give it a go ;-)
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 14 Jan 2015, 8:33 pm

bigfellascott wrote:The biggest thing I notice with filters is the drop in distance that the light goes, I've tried a few and didn't particularly like them so just went back to the white light. I guess give em a go mate and see how they work for you.

You can get LED Lights now that have diff coloured LED's which are supposed to work ok (they don't seem to loose the distance as much from what I'm hearing) haven't used one so can't say for certain.

Theres a fella on AHN that goes by the name of Fenring, he makes up his own LEDs that use red and green LEDs which are popular with those who do walk abouts shooting and spotlighting etc.

i have a red torch from fenring and it lights foxes and bunny's eyes up like demon eyes, the range is better than my wolfeyes hunter,white light , i love it, they are all sold so bad luck :twisted: green is supposed to have more range but wont light the eyes up as much as the red but more than the white, red seems not to spook them as much as white but thats just my observation :unknown: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Jan 2015, 5:35 am

tom604 wrote:i have a red torch from fenring and it lights foxes and bunny's eyes up like demon eyes, the range is better than my wolfeyes hunter,white light , i love it, they are all sold so bad luck :twisted: green is supposed to have more range but wont light the eyes up as much as the red but more than the white, red seems not to spook them as much as white but thats just my observation :unknown: :thumbsup:

Yeah Fens lights seem to go well from what I've been reading, He no doubt will be making more sooner than later.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Guliver » 15 Jan 2015, 7:27 am

petemacsydney wrote:does anyone know if you can make your light a 'red light' just by using some red cellophane? (instead of a proper red light filter or red light
cheers p

Be careful which lights you use cellophane on, it will catch fire with some lights.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Hatter » 15 Jan 2015, 11:10 am

Guliver wrote:I always thought blue was used for following a blood trail in the dark.

That's UV isn't it? Not just a blue filter... I thought.
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Brute » 15 Jan 2015, 11:12 am

bigfellascott wrote:The other thing you can do is cut a hole in the filter - say 1" diameter, I'm lead to believe that works fairly well and gives a bit more light out further.

Huh?

So you have a red wide beam with a point of normal light in the middle you mean?
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Jan 2015, 11:55 am

Brute wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:The other thing you can do is cut a hole in the filter - say 1" diameter, I'm lead to believe that works fairly well and gives a bit more light out further.

Huh?

So you have a red wide beam with a point of normal light in the middle you mean?

You've got it, haven't tried it but apparently it works ok. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by horter » 15 Jan 2015, 2:07 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:In yacht racing we use red lights at night instead of white for this reason.

Been a while since I've taken the yacht for a spin so must have forgotten that :lol:
Ruger Hawkeye All Weather in .30-06
Sako L61R 7mm Rem Mag
Sako L461 Vixen .222 Rem
Savage 42 combination 22 WMR/410 bore
horter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment