Buggered the timber floor with the safe

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Buggered the timber floor with the safe

Post by hoofit » 18 Jan 2015, 3:58 pm

Long story short... Slid in a heavy safe the last 2 foot of the timber floor, couldn't see it at the time but now having moved the safe for others reasons I see a square of timber has had its varnish shaved off so I have a section of raw wood floor boards :problem:

Where it is I'm not bothered with the floor being different, but will having removed the finish cause problems if left unfixed?

Will damp rise through the exposed timber from underneath or anything like that?

Thanks.
hoofit
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Buggered the timber floor with the safe

Post by Gwion » 18 Jan 2015, 8:25 pm

Mostly cosmetic, i'd say. Although the exposed bit will be more susceptible to further damage and will probably change colour from dirt/stains and natural aging (grey off). I'd match the finish best i could and get a coat or two on it. SLightly mismatched finish is going to be less problematic than exposed timber.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Jan 2015, 8:32 pm

just coat it with a clear coat that suits timber floors.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Lorgar » 19 Jan 2015, 1:37 pm

FYI my house is on stumps with timber floors, the way it's positioned and the nature of the ground it's soaking wet under the house during rain.

All hardwood floors, several sections worn to timber from rolling chair wheels and the like. 4 years and counting with no sign of problems.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by hoofit » 19 Jan 2015, 1:38 pm

Ok so not the end of the world.

Thanks guys.
hoofit
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by dorpel » 19 Jan 2015, 1:41 pm

hoofit wrote:Ok so not the end of the world.

No I think it will keep on turning despite your damaged floor

:lol:
dorpel
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by 1290 » 19 Jan 2015, 2:11 pm

definitely not a world ender.... is it timber boards, timber laminate, oil or poly, shiny/flat.... bit of oil or poly will fix...bit of prep sanding around before application....

I'd be more concerned with Lorgars wet underfloor situation - you gotta fix that, are you on a slope? may need some cut off surface or subsurface drain there fella....moisture / damp is bad news for the structure as well as inhabitants.

edit to add, steam will help bring dings out...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by hoofit » 20 Jan 2015, 12:37 pm

1290 wrote:definitely not a world ender.... is it timber boards, timber laminate, oil or poly, shiny/flat.... bit of oil or poly will fix...bit of prep sanding around before application....

Proper timber, not laminate.

Poly I think?

Shiny.
hoofit
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 20 Jan 2015, 12:52 pm

1290 wrote:I'd be more concerned with Lorgars wet underfloor situation - you gotta fix that, are you on a slope? may need some cut off surface or subsurface drain there fella....moisture / damp is bad news for the structure as well as inhabitants.

Not a slope as such... The house is a late 70's build. It would appear that over the decades foliage breakdown and what not has added some heigh to the back yard so it's a few inches higher than under the houses which was shielded from such things. Trapped by the fence presumably and could not blow away as the front yard would have.

The front yard and under the house are flat and on the same plane, the backyard is flat but a tier up, causing the water to get trapped under the house a little. It flows in from the back and is caught by the walls of the house.

There are ventilation ports all around so it evaporates out in time. Just a higher proportion of rain collects initially than might otherwise have been expected.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment