How much do cameras help with security

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

How much do cameras help with security

Post by melanie » 22 Jan 2015, 1:45 pm

Had this on the back burner for a while as a general security thing but with shooting now has brought it forward.

It's not cheap to have all angles of the house covered, how much discouragement does it really ad?

Anyone have any experience?
melanie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: How much do cameras help with security

Post by cruze82 » 22 Jan 2015, 4:57 pm

iv got 8 cameras set up around the house and shed
They have come in handy once when the police knocked on my door to ask if the could have the footage to identify a thief that had stolen a car in the area

I must admit I did not install them as a deterrent only a means of seeing who ripped me off :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
cruze82
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by loopal » 23 Jan 2015, 6:36 pm

They will deter some surely.

On the other hand how many security camera footage scenes have you seen of some dirtbag breaking into a place?

It's your money. Improving your odds is always good if you can afford it.
loopal
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Norton » 23 Jan 2015, 6:38 pm

loopal wrote:Improving your odds is always good if you can afford it.

Yep.

No amount of security will guarantee no break-ins 100%, but it's all about layers. The more you have the less they'll get and the less likely they'll give it a go.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by inspector » 23 Jan 2015, 6:39 pm

Cheap option... They do some pretty convincing dummy cameras.
inspector
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by mikor » 23 Jan 2015, 6:39 pm

inspector wrote:Cheap option... They do some pretty convincing dummy cameras.

That's what I did.

Look the business, hopefully deter a few.

Makes me feel better in any case :lol:
mikor
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by nords » 23 Jan 2015, 6:41 pm

cruze82 wrote:I must admit I did not install them as a deterrent only a means of seeing who ripped me off :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

That's all a lot of them seem good for.

Still, they catch a few of them with the footage from what you see.
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 25 Jan 2015, 12:43 pm

A copper mate advised me that unless you spend good coin on the cameras the resolution (especially in the dark) is not good enough to stand up in court as a means to ID the crook who rips you off.

A dog, a 'beware of the dog' sign (even if you don't have one) or a ' this property is under constant video surveillance' sign in prominently visible locations are good psychological deterrents. A few cameras and movement activated lights will help as a deterrent as well, for sure. Also 'protected by XYZ alarms' stickers on the window.

Been wanting to cam up my place for a while but cost of decent gear is higher than i have spare cash for.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by samoohrye » 26 Jan 2015, 8:05 am

Gwion wrote:A copper mate advised me that unless you spend good coin on the cameras the resolution (especially in the dark) is not good enough to stand up in court as a means to ID the crook who rips you off.

Disappointing :(

Still the deterrent factor though which is worth something.
samoohrye
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by melanie » 26 Jan 2015, 8:06 am

Thanks guys.

The evidence quality is something I hadn't heard before.

Gotta decide how much a deterrent is worth to me then. Still sounds like a goer I think.
melanie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by sooey » 26 Jan 2015, 8:07 am

Gwion wrote:A dog, a 'beware of the dog' sign (even if you don't have one) or a ' this property is under constant video surveillance' sign in prominently visible locations are good psychological deterrents.

I knew a guy that hung a biiig black spiked collar off the side of the house just over the fence so if you looked over it was the first thing you saw.

Who knows who looked. But never had a break in :lol:
Remington 700 CDL chambered in .270 Winchester
Remington 700 CDL chambered in 300 Win Mag
4-16x 40mm Bushnell Elite scopes
sooey
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by KWhorenet » 26 Jan 2015, 8:10 am

Maybe hang a gimp mask and mad studded stap on up with a sign "tresspassing means automatic consent"
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Sifor » 26 Jan 2015, 8:39 am

There's a thread on whirlpool which is incredibly helpful: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 52121&p=36

Seems like most people run IP cameras these days with PoE, the hikvision brand seems popular. Looks like you can get a high quality 1080p camera for about $100-$150 each, with some better ones that allow you to zoom/pan/tilt etc for $300. Add a PoE switch, NVR and some cable and you're good to go.....

Might be worth considering if you don't want to pay top dollar for a 'name brand' in Australia...
Sifor
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 26 Jan 2015, 9:13 am

KWhorenet wrote:Maybe hang a gimp mask and mad studded stap on up with a sign "tresspassing means automatic consent"

Where would one go about buying something like that mate? :lol: :lol:

i reckon some movement sensor activated cameras like game cameras would be invaluable for identifying people who are snooping around your gates and your garage without trawling through hours of low res footage.

In my experience in my old neighborhood crooks will generally hit the softest target, going house to house checking doors and windows. one weekend i came home to find a prybar mark under our front window, window keylocks paid for themselves i thought. Then later that week i found out that one of our neighbors was robbed that night.

fake cameras are as good a deterrent as real ones (what ever thats worth) but are useless after an actual robbery but real cameras are only as good as their placement and resolution

FYI you can get 4 camera systems with wiring and a recorder for under $200 i reckon 4 fake cameras could cost nearly half that :unknown:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by melanie » 26 Jan 2015, 11:51 am

Sifor wrote:Might be worth considering if you don't want to pay top dollar for a 'name brand' in Australia...

Whatever works. That's all I want, not at all worried about having a name brand system to brag about.
melanie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by samoohrye » 26 Jan 2015, 11:53 am

KWhorenet wrote:Maybe hang a gimp mask and mad studded stap on up with a sign "tresspassing means automatic consent"

Imagine the handful you will attract with that though :lol:
samoohrye
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 26 Jan 2015, 12:10 pm

Chronos wrote:i reckon some movement sensor activated cameras like game cameras would be invaluable for identifying people who are snooping around your gates and your garage without trawling through hours of low res footage.

My thoughts exactly. Movement sensor, wireless, upload direct to "cloud". Then, even if they get in and knock off the recording drive, you can still access footage at high res. :thumbsup:

And put a sticker on the recording drive saying, "See yourself on www.imgoingtoprison.com" :P

Also true about the softer target. First rule of personal security. Like the old joke, "i don't have to outrun the tiger, i just have to outrun you!" :problem:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Jack V » 26 Jan 2015, 12:15 pm

There is many cross arguments you can put up for and against , but in the end it does make you a harder target . It also gives you a heads up on what is going on outside and you can be more prepared if they break in or if you are just opening your front door . If you install high scene cameras you should also install some hidden lower face cameras on the main way in .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by nords » 27 Jan 2015, 1:24 pm

Gwion wrote:And put a sticker on the recording drive saying, "See yourself on http://www.imgoingtoprison.com" :P

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by lole » 27 Jan 2015, 1:26 pm

Jack V wrote:There is many cross arguments you can put up for and against , but in the end it does make you a harder target.

Yep.

Sound s**ty, but really your house doesn't need to be a bank vault. It just needs to be more secure than your neighbour.

If there is your house with double locks, fence, alarm, cameras etc. and there is your neighbours house with nothing, they will go to your neighbours house.

Don't be the soft target on the street.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment