Tenterfield fox call

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Tenterfield fox call

Post by aussie_redneck » 30 Jan 2015, 10:15 pm

Hi all

I'm new here first post but have been reading for a little bit. I have a krico 302e 22. Lr with a austral 4x40 scope which I love and has taken many a varmits life.

Anyway I bought a new fox call the other day a tenterfield fox call. I had never used or seen one and it took a bit of getting used to but testing it tonight in my neighbors backyard I watched a fox run straight past then turn run straight towards me then stop and lay on the ground for 10 mins at least I didn't have my gun as its all too small to shoot but I have never seen a fox just lay down has anyone else ever seen this or maybe just a really dumb fox... damn close neighbors could have had a awesome shot.

Murph
Marlin xt22 with 4x40 scope

Bettinsoli Xtrail 12gauge in black

Browning Xbolt in 243 with bushnell 3500

Browning MARAL in 30-06 soon to be with bushnell red dot.
aussie_redneck
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Tenterfield fox call

Post by RoginaJack » 31 Jan 2015, 10:42 am

Yeah, I had 3 do the same thing a few months back. I wasn't using the Tenterfield whistle, just the 'ol button whistle and a double reed call.

The Tenterfield takes a bit of getting used to and there are a few You tubes videos that may put you on the right track plus practice, practice.

Fox 1 got to within 15-20 yards before it laid down and played dead. It came to the button but fox 2 & 3 answered to the double reed call and was about 20 -30 yards before they laid down too. Mine usually does it just after I throw a load of BB or No.2 in their direction from the 12g. but came do it for a lot longer than 10 minutes.

Welcome to the post and safe hunting!
Cheers
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Jack V » 31 Jan 2015, 10:45 am

I have seen them do that and many other sneaky things. Think some animals that have paws and not hooves can feel ground vibrations if they put their rib cage on the ground . The fox may have been trying to sense ground vibrations . However I suspect it was just waiting to pick up more sound and try and zero in on it . Foxes are quite smart and stay low or hidden in cover when not sure what is going on. I have even seen them crawl away in the shadow of a bush to avoid the spotlight .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jan 2015, 8:05 pm

Last one i shot was hiding behind a low hanging branch. Im new to tenterfields too. s**t loads better than the old button type in my view. Easy to make too. Others u can try are sqeaky toys and syrofoam on glass. I fitted the sqeaky in a plastic tube so I can blow it like a whistle.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 31 Jan 2015, 8:29 pm

hi redneck,welcome to the forum :thumbsup: doing better than me with the tenterfield, cant seem to make it work :thumbsdown: :unknown:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jan 2015, 8:46 pm

tom604 wrote:hi redneck,welcome to the forum :thumbsup: doing better than me with the tenterfield, cant seem to make it work :thumbsdown: :unknown:

Tom, dont give up. I made one and it didnt work, so I bought one and it didnt work. Eventually I got them both to work. Lol check out youtube.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 01 Feb 2015, 1:10 am

Apparently almost ripe peaches work wonders :x

After wrongly accusing parrots I just spotted my farrrking peach thief in the act! My prized little peach tree has been almost stripped bare in two nights by a fox. Was nice enough to leave a fresh turd in place of fruit.

I need a shotgun, not a whistle.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Feb 2015, 7:12 am

KWhorenet wrote:Apparently almost ripe peaches work wonders :x

After wrongly accusing parrots I just spotted my farrrking peach thief in the act! My prized little peach tree has been almost stripped bare in two nights by a fox. Was nice enough to leave a fresh turd in place of fruit.

:lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: yep they do love their fruit (they really do have a sweet tooth) :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Jack V » 01 Feb 2015, 10:33 am

That's classic , the buggers will try anything for sure. :lol:
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

FEE FI FO FUM, I SMELL PEACHES FROM A FOX'S BUM!

Post by KWhorenet » 01 Feb 2015, 11:35 am

Woke up still angry about my beloved orange fleshed peaches I'd been fondling, feeding, watering and nurturing for a bloody fox fruit salad. First crop after fire almost killed the tree 4 years ago.

FEE FI FO FUM, I SMELL PEACHES FROM A FOX'S BUM!
So many foiled stalks for a quiet 22,
Fcuk that! Any center of mass will do.
No more plans of stealthy foray.
SnipePod switched to the Hornet today.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Jack V » 01 Feb 2015, 11:43 am

You need a movement sensor hooked up to a bright light in your face , so you can snooze on the stock in a lay up position but be silently woken up when Reynard comes a calling .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 01 Feb 2015, 12:30 pm

I have some old solar sensor lights not in use. Could extend the wires and have the light inside. Its a bit tricky getting a shot in with rifle due to location of my orchard.

Have laid baits over in a safer direction. Was thinking of tying fishing line to a bait headed back inside. Bit like a nibble indicator. With an almost full moon and no need for spotty I should be able to sort it out from the back veranda. Just need a corn cob pipe and rocking chair.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Lorgar » 02 Feb 2015, 2:35 pm

I've noticed this with the local dogs.

There are a few peach trees around my local park and I often see them chewing on the pits.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 02 Feb 2015, 6:59 pm

The good thing about a button whistle is it is easy to use and you can hold it in your mouth while also aiming the gun .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 02 Feb 2015, 7:01 pm

KWhorenet wrote:I have some old solar sensor lights not in use. Could extend the wires and have the light inside. Its a bit tricky getting a shot in with rifle due to location of my orchard.

Have laid baits over in a safer direction. Was thinking of tying fishing line to a bait headed back inside. Bit like a nibble indicator. With an almost full moon and no need for spotty I should be able to sort it out from the back veranda. Just need a corn cob pipe and rocking chair.

Gona whoop that varmint real good .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by heron » 03 Feb 2015, 12:34 pm

KWhorenet wrote:Have laid baits over in a safer direction.

Gotta get them on the wing though obviously? I don't suppose you're doing yourself any favours putting the shotty to use when they're already in an orchard tree?
heron
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by 5Tom » 06 Apr 2015, 12:33 am

made my own tenterfield whistle. Very loud as others in my hunting party have heard it from ages away. Called in a fox almost every time I've used it, but can't say I had any success with my button whistle. Most likely I've stuck to what works!
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 06 Apr 2015, 1:27 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
tom604 wrote:hi redneck,welcome to the forum :thumbsup: doing better than me with the tenterfield, cant seem to make it work :thumbsdown: :unknown:

Tom, dont give up. I made one and it didnt work, so I bought one and it didnt work. Eventually I got them both to work. Lol check out youtube.

iv'e progressed to making raspy spitty sounds and almost blowing a lung out :oops: :unknown: :lol: :lol: :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Apr 2015, 1:31 pm

KWhorenet wrote:I have some old solar sensor lights not in use. Could extend the wires and have the light inside. Its a bit tricky getting a shot in with rifle due to location of my orchard.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Apr 2015, 9:57 pm

tom604 wrote:
iv'e progressed to making raspy spitty sounds and almost blowing a lung out :oops: :unknown: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lol, I went through that phase too. Your getting closer. Lol
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Apr 2015, 9:57 pm

tom604 wrote:

Lol, I went through that phase too. Your getting closer. Lol
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Apr 2015, 10:05 pm

Just keep trying mate, muck around with that tongue position near the bottom hole etc, took me a hr or so to get it, took the 10yr old Daughter about 5mins! :lol: :silent:

Now it's second nature to me and no effort whatsoever and I can get diff sounds/pitches out of it too.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Blackened » 07 Apr 2015, 4:06 pm

tom604 wrote:iv'e progressed to making raspy spitty sounds and almost blowing a lung out :oops: :unknown: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmmm, is "progress" the right word to use there? :lol:
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Harper » 09 Apr 2015, 9:57 am

I'm a master rasper from way back :lol:
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory