Making gongs

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Making gongs

Post by brett1868 » 06 Mar 2015, 11:57 pm

Put me down for 8 x 400mm round ones please, pm me your details on how you want to be paid.

Was using 2 pieces of 1/2" angle iron till last week when I turned it into swiss cheese then broke the weld where it joined. Great timing on the offer mate as I was looking for steel plates earlier in the week and you've saved me a lot of time.

Went looking for plough disks on the farm but none to be found, seems they make excellent BBQ hotplates.

This is from trip before last showing what a 50cal Brass VLD does to plate at 100m. Straight through the steel, then 2 hardwood railway sleepers and kept going.

Even after the steel and sleepers the projectile managed to maintain most of its mass
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by chrispy88 » 07 Mar 2015, 8:23 am

Chronos, put me down for 2 x 200mm circles and 2 x 400mm circles please. Would also be interested in a portable frame if you would be willing to build 2. Cheers mate.
Tikka T3 Lite SS .308 / VXII 3-9x40
Howa HB SS .223 / Viper PST 4-16x50
Savage Mk II BTVS .22LR / VXI 3-9x40
Lithgow Model 1 .22LR
Miroku MK10 Sporter 12g
W. W. Greener Martini action 12g
chrispy88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Joom » 08 Mar 2015, 8:12 am

Chronos wrote:I'm workng on some portable gong stands, i've been using timber saw horses but the splatter is pretty hard on the wood, the goose who can't hit a 400mm plate at 300m and kept hitting the legs a full 8moa away did more damage than the splatter :thumbsdown:

How is Apollo? :lol:

Jokes :D
Remington 700 and... Who needs another rifle?
Joom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Aster » 08 Mar 2015, 8:24 am

Chronos wrote:If there are a few people interested and if admin approve i could run a group buy and get a big batch done at the $50 each or $40 for a 300mm plate, $30 for a 200mm plate in bare steel, :drinks:

I don't mind it being posted here, subject to the usual things. I should probably do a group buy FAQ/policy page in relation to the forum as it comes up now and then but in summary.

No identifiable information posted on the forum, no shipping address etc. All best relayed elsewhere.

People use your judgement on what details you give and who you give them to.

Transactions and any outcomes are between buyer and seller, the forum takes no responsibility and isn't involved in the process.

And I'm probably going to need a gong or two off you :lol:
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by FuzzyM » 08 Mar 2015, 10:57 am

I would be in for a couple of round plates if we can organise shipping.
Maybe a 200 and 300.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 09 Mar 2015, 9:16 am

Joom wrote:
Chronos wrote:I'm workng on some portable gong stands, i've been using timber saw horses but the splatter is pretty hard on the wood, the goose who can't hit a 400mm plate at 300m and kept hitting the legs a full 8moa away did more damage than the splatter :thumbsdown:

How is Apollo? :lol:

Jokes :D

No mate, it was a couple of operator wannabe's shooting prone (right next to the benches) that seem to have trouble hitting a 400mm steel plate at 200m. Too busy pretending to be Chris Kyle to even perform the most basic shooting techniques.

So while myself and others were shooting sub 2" groups at the same range this goose was hitting the stand 16-18" from Center if target.

Chronos

stand.jpg
stand.jpg (26.2 KiB) Viewed 5766 times
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Joom » 09 Mar 2015, 10:46 am

Chronos wrote:it was a couple of operator wannabe's shooting prone (right next to the benches) that seem to have trouble hitting a 400mm steel plate at 200m.

You mean adding picatinny rails and a huuuuge muzzle brake doesn't increase accuracy!?!??

I thought that was what good shooting was all about!

:sarcasm: :lol:
Remington 700 and... Who needs another rifle?
Joom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 10 Mar 2015, 7:23 am

Ok guys, I've set up a classified for expressions of interest for steel gongs for sydney menbers. If you're interested go here and register your interest

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3940

Thanks. Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 10 Mar 2015, 4:05 pm

Chronos, how are these plates being cut?
Oxy will anneal the plate, at least a zone along the cut...heat is the enemy of AR plates
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 10 Mar 2015, 4:08 pm

1290 wrote:Chronos, how are these plates being cut?
Oxy will anneal the plate, at least a zone along the cut...heat is the enemy of AR plates

Oxy is the only way to cut it economically, unless you want to ride a grinding wheel all day.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 10 Mar 2015, 4:37 pm

Chronos wrote:
1290 wrote:Chronos, how are these plates being cut?

Oxy is the only way to cut it economically, unless you want to ride a grinding wheel all day.

Chronos

Spent hundreds of hours manning a plasma torch making front end loader parts. These things are great. They cut way cheaper, cooler and with a cleaner edge than an oxy set. Still used an oxy profile cutter on the 40mm thick bucket hooks and such though.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 10 Mar 2015, 4:56 pm

That's fine. You can all make your own gongs using whatever process you like. Oxy being so s**t and all. I suppose you might get them wire cut for $100 each and gain the .5% life out if them.

Good luck.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 10 Mar 2015, 5:09 pm

Chronos wrote:Oxy is the only way to cut it economically, unless you want to ride a grinding wheel all day.

Its a false economy, unless the loss of properties around the edge is acceptable....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 10 Mar 2015, 5:14 pm

Ok mate, buy the sts ones then. I'm sure they're different.

I've been in the metal trades for 25 years but there are so many experts out there I can be bothered.

Chronos.
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment