Making gongs

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Making gongs

Post by chrispy88 » 05 Mar 2015, 12:48 pm

Hi guys, looking at making up some gongs for a little fun on a property I shoot at.

What thickness steel does everyone make them out of? Any other tips for making them? Was just going to cut them out of steel plate with the oxy.

Using 308 and 223 on them at this stage, plan is to start learning to extend my reach 8-)

Cheers! :D
Tikka T3 Lite SS .308 / VXII 3-9x40
Howa HB SS .223 / Viper PST 4-16x50
Savage Mk II BTVS .22LR / VXI 3-9x40
Lithgow Model 1 .22LR
Miroku MK10 Sporter 12g
W. W. Greener Martini action 12g
chrispy88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Making gongs

Post by KWhorenet » 05 Mar 2015, 6:17 pm

Just try what you have and see ?

Would an old thrown out BBQ plate work or not enough of a (((((((GONNNGGGG))))))) when hit?

I have a heap of old Plough discs that ((ding)) when hit. Probably turn into Swiss cheese with much more than lighter cals/pills
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Mar 2015, 6:25 pm

You might want to have a look at some pre made ones too, these are usually made of Bisalloy 500 so they don't get damaged at all, mild steel will get damaged with every shot so over time you will have to replace them.

http://stsonline.com.au/store/index.php ... path=59_65
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by valkyrie » 05 Mar 2015, 7:05 pm

i know for a fact a .308 will go straight through at least 12mm mild steel
Remington 700 sf .308
Mossberg 4x4 22-250
Brno model 1 .22
Trusty 12 gauge
valkyrie
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by KWhorenet » 05 Mar 2015, 7:11 pm

valkyrie wrote:i know for a fact a .308 will go straight through at least 12mm mild steel

Shoot from allot further away then :)

Like these Scott http://shootingaustralia.net/forum/sts/ ... ng-targets
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Smiley » 05 Mar 2015, 7:22 pm

For long range I use a 16" plow disc. I don't know what grade steel it is, but it definitely is hardened and can take a hiding. It has a hole in the center for a hub and bolt holes and I have filled that with mild steel but that just does not last very long.
Smiley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 05 Mar 2015, 7:32 pm

If Sydney shooter are interested in 12mm BIS500 target gongs I can get them cut in 200mm, 300mm and 400mm squares with 12mm mounting holes.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Mar 2015, 7:39 pm

KWhorenet wrote:
valkyrie wrote:i know for a fact a .308 will go straight through at least 12mm mild steel

Shoot from allot further away then :)

Like these Scott http://shootingaustralia.net/forum/sts/ ... ng-targets

Yeah that's them mate, well made and will last for ever.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Mar 2015, 7:45 pm

A mate made these for me a while ago, they are made from Bisalloy - I still haven't been out to really give em a run (only used the 22 on them at 70 or 80m) there's 2 x 3" 1 x4" and 1 x5" which is plenty for me to practice on out to 300m - 400m max.

I wanted the 3" ones as they are roughly the size of a bunnies head and I would like to practice on them at 300+m (done a few bunny heads at that distance now) but would like to practice on the gongs too as I like that sort of challenge at greater distances.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Noisydad » 05 Mar 2015, 8:19 pm

Railway fish plates work pretty good for low velocity stuff. Here's some I prepared earlier...viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2087
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 06 Mar 2015, 1:24 am

this is mine 12mm mild plate the 7mm mag makes it about a 3rd of the way through at 750y with a burger the 162AMAX hardly even scratches it .

IMG_1653 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1653 (Medium).JPG (207.49 KiB) Viewed 6377 times
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 06 Mar 2015, 6:29 am

Chronos wrote:If Sydney shooter are interested in 12mm BIS500 target gongs I can get them cut in 200mm, 300mm and 400mm squares with 12mm mounting holes.

Chronos

Steve,
What would it cost for 7 plates at 400mm? I'd prefer round but can cut the squares into circles if not available.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Mar 2015, 7:57 am

Often thought fish plates were worth a try. Will keep my eye open. ;)
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by chrispy88 » 06 Mar 2015, 7:59 am

Thanks all for the info.

Would be very interested Chronos, if I could have prices on each that would be great!
Lithgow Model 1 .22LR
Miroku MK10 Sporter 12g
chrispy88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 06 Mar 2015, 8:50 am

Do you suspend these "fish plates" in a barrel of water?
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by 1290 » 06 Mar 2015, 9:22 am

-Mild steel is like butter when 'exposed' to fmjs... doesnt mean you cant use them, lots of holes gives character to a plate :lol:
-The BBQ plate would probably shatter given that they cast iron generally, but you'll only find out one way....
-The plough discs would be hardened/abrasion resistant possibly up to Brinell 400 or more (=AR400), so good to go!

The ARXXX range of plates are exxy, the use them in earthmoving, repairing buckets etc, so there may be offcuts?? if you're close to an industry or mining area.

-Stainless steel alloys are harder than mild, some up to 2x that of mild, so if you have access to some stainless plates, could be a compromise in $$.

Another idea, just thinking outside of the box here if you have access to used cutting blades, concrete, diamond, circular saw... they are HARDENED /HSS and other various alloys so, crazy idea, stick a bunch of same sized discs together sandwich style and bobs your auntie, free gongs!....construction adhesive contact adhesive, epoxy :thumbsup: :thumbsup: you heard it here first!
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Herdsman » 06 Mar 2015, 3:25 pm

KWhorenet wrote:Would an old thrown out BBQ plate work or not enough of a (((((((GONNNGGGG))))))) when hit?

99% sure it'll go straight through...
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 06 Mar 2015, 3:36 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Chronos wrote:If Sydney shooter are interested in 12mm BIS500 target gongs I can get them cut in 200mm, 300mm and 400mm squares with 12mm mounting holes.

Chronos

Steve,
What would it cost for 7 plates at 400mm? I'd prefer round but can cut the squares into circles if not available.

Price is $55 each for one but for 7 i could do them for $350, round or square, doesn't matter the price would be the same, 400mm circle would be lighter of course :thumbsup:

they are 12mm, i have 2 10mm bis500 plates and the .204R will pit it at 200m but nothing else i have will, a 22-250 would do a bit of damage

I'm workng on some portable gong stands, i've been using timber saw horses but the splatter is pretty hard on the wood, the goose who can't hit a 400mm plate at 300m and kept hitting the legs a full 8moa away did more damage than the splatter :thumbsdown:

If there are a few people interested and if admin approve i could run a group buy and get a big batch done at the $50 each or $40 for a 300mm plate, $30 for a 200mm plate in bare steel, :drinks:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 06 Mar 2015, 11:57 pm

Put me down for 8 x 400mm round ones please, pm me your details on how you want to be paid.

Was using 2 pieces of 1/2" angle iron till last week when I turned it into swiss cheese then broke the weld where it joined. Great timing on the offer mate as I was looking for steel plates earlier in the week and you've saved me a lot of time.

Went looking for plough disks on the farm but none to be found, seems they make excellent BBQ hotplates.

This is from trip before last showing what a 50cal Brass VLD does to plate at 100m. Straight through the steel, then 2 hardwood railway sleepers and kept going.

Even after the steel and sleepers the projectile managed to maintain most of its mass
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by chrispy88 » 07 Mar 2015, 8:23 am

Chronos, put me down for 2 x 200mm circles and 2 x 400mm circles please. Would also be interested in a portable frame if you would be willing to build 2. Cheers mate.
Lithgow Model 1 .22LR
Miroku MK10 Sporter 12g
chrispy88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Joom » 08 Mar 2015, 8:12 am

Chronos wrote:I'm workng on some portable gong stands, i've been using timber saw horses but the splatter is pretty hard on the wood, the goose who can't hit a 400mm plate at 300m and kept hitting the legs a full 8moa away did more damage than the splatter :thumbsdown:

How is Apollo? :lol:

Jokes :D
Remington 700 and... Who needs another rifle?
Joom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Aster » 08 Mar 2015, 8:24 am

Chronos wrote:If there are a few people interested and if admin approve i could run a group buy and get a big batch done at the $50 each or $40 for a 300mm plate, $30 for a 200mm plate in bare steel, :drinks:

I don't mind it being posted here, subject to the usual things. I should probably do a group buy FAQ/policy page in relation to the forum as it comes up now and then but in summary.

No identifiable information posted on the forum, no shipping address etc. All best relayed elsewhere.

People use your judgement on what details you give and who you give them to.

Transactions and any outcomes are between buyer and seller, the forum takes no responsibility and isn't involved in the process.

And I'm probably going to need a gong or two off you :lol:
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by FuzzyM » 08 Mar 2015, 10:57 am

I would be in for a couple of round plates if we can organise shipping.
Maybe a 200 and 300.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 09 Mar 2015, 9:16 am

Joom wrote:
Chronos wrote:I'm workng on some portable gong stands, i've been using timber saw horses but the splatter is pretty hard on the wood, the goose who can't hit a 400mm plate at 300m and kept hitting the legs a full 8moa away did more damage than the splatter :thumbsdown:

How is Apollo? :lol:

Jokes :D

No mate, it was a couple of operator wannabe's shooting prone (right next to the benches) that seem to have trouble hitting a 400mm steel plate at 200m. Too busy pretending to be Chris Kyle to even perform the most basic shooting techniques.

So while myself and others were shooting sub 2" groups at the same range this goose was hitting the stand 16-18" from Center if target.

Chronos

stand.jpg
stand.jpg (26.2 KiB) Viewed 5767 times
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Joom » 09 Mar 2015, 10:46 am

Chronos wrote:it was a couple of operator wannabe's shooting prone (right next to the benches) that seem to have trouble hitting a 400mm steel plate at 200m.

You mean adding picatinny rails and a huuuuge muzzle brake doesn't increase accuracy!?!??

I thought that was what good shooting was all about!

:sarcasm: :lol:
Remington 700 and... Who needs another rifle?
Joom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 10 Mar 2015, 7:23 am

Ok guys, I've set up a classified for expressions of interest for steel gongs for sydney menbers. If you're interested go here and register your interest

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3940

Thanks. Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 10 Mar 2015, 4:05 pm

Chronos, how are these plates being cut?
Oxy will anneal the plate, at least a zone along the cut...heat is the enemy of AR plates
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 10 Mar 2015, 4:08 pm

1290 wrote:Chronos, how are these plates being cut?
Oxy will anneal the plate, at least a zone along the cut...heat is the enemy of AR plates

Oxy is the only way to cut it economically, unless you want to ride a grinding wheel all day.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 10 Mar 2015, 4:37 pm

Chronos wrote:
1290 wrote:Chronos, how are these plates being cut?

Oxy is the only way to cut it economically, unless you want to ride a grinding wheel all day.

Chronos

Spent hundreds of hours manning a plasma torch making front end loader parts. These things are great. They cut way cheaper, cooler and with a cleaner edge than an oxy set. Still used an oxy profile cutter on the 40mm thick bucket hooks and such though.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 10 Mar 2015, 4:56 pm

That's fine. You can all make your own gongs using whatever process you like. Oxy being so s**t and all. I suppose you might get them wire cut for $100 each and gain the .5% life out if them.

Good luck.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment