Dewey Survival Machete

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Dewey Survival Machete

Post by Sender » 25 Mar 2015, 11:20 am

bigfellascott wrote:Can't see a use for it myself, these sorts of things smack of "Gimmick" to me.

A lot of them do yes.

s**ty steel, designed to look 'cool' as much if not more so than do a job. Crappy handle or blade doesn't extend far enough into it etc.

This looks pretty solid to me though. As a 1 size fits all kind of tool.
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by North East » 25 Mar 2015, 11:27 am

If I had to cut wood a chainsaw is far more effective.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Sender » 25 Mar 2015, 1:11 pm

North East wrote:If I had to cut wood a chainsaw is far more effective.

No one mentioned cutting quantities of wood? That's miles away from what this is intended for.
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Mar 2015, 2:15 pm

Sender wrote:
North East wrote:If I had to cut wood a chainsaw is far more effective.

No one mentioned cutting quantities of wood? That's miles away from what this is intended for.

What is it intended for?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Sender » 25 Mar 2015, 7:01 pm

We both know no knife is intended to cut the quantities of wood you'd use a chainsaw for.

Why are we arguing that?
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by North East » 25 Mar 2015, 7:14 pm

Sender wrote:We both know no knife is intended to cut the quantities of wood you'd use a chainsaw for.

Why are we arguing that?

I'll stick to a Husqvarna chainsaw thanks. What that pissy knife for....whittling wood or something?
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Mar 2015, 7:45 pm

Sender wrote:We both know no knife is intended to cut the quantities of wood you'd use a chainsaw for.

Why are we arguing that?

What is it used for mate? :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Tiiger » 25 Mar 2015, 7:46 pm

Personally I take an axe and a smaller knife.

I try to avoid the jack of all trades master of none approach.

I do see the appeal though.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 26 Mar 2015, 2:45 am

you cant chainsaw blackberry's or small axe them (with out getting scratched up anyway) one of the places i shoot on has a few berry bushes and a machete would work a treat to get to the bunnys that i shoot that stay just inside the bush :thumbsup: better than the stick i use at the moment :lol: :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Mar 2015, 4:55 am

tom604 wrote:you cant chainsaw blackberry's or small axe them (with out getting scratched up anyway) one of the places i shoot on has a few berry bushes and a machete would work a treat to get to the bunnys that i shoot that stay just inside the bush :thumbsup: better than the stick i use at the moment :lol: :lol:

Ya should just wait for em to come out a bit more mate, saves having to cut em out to get to em, that's what I do anyway. :D (fooked if I'm going into blackberry bushes with the Tiger and Browns around here. :shock:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 26 Mar 2015, 10:40 am

bigfellascott wrote:
tom604 wrote:you cant chainsaw blackberry's or small axe them (with out getting scratched up anyway) one of the places i shoot on has a few berry bushes and a machete would work a treat to get to the bunnys that i shoot that stay just inside the bush :thumbsup: better than the stick i use at the moment :lol: :lol:

Ya should just wait for em to come out a bit more mate, saves having to cut em out to get to em, that's what I do anyway. :D (fooked if I'm going into blackberry bushes with the Tiger and Browns around here. :shock:

I thought youd just spray the blackberry now then torch them at the end of winter and just stand by with the shotgun for some fast paced smoking rabbit action :lol:

A property we shoot on at Orange NSW has a few gates out the back that rarely get used by the farmer but we go through them a bit to a camp site. Short of taking a whipper snipper over there I find slashing the grass/blackberry with a light cane knife or machete the quickest way to get the gates open when we haven't been up there for a while. He tends of to put cattle out there because some of the fencing needs work and he doesn't need the feed.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Mar 2015, 12:10 pm

Chronos wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

I thought youd just spray the blackberry now then torch them at the end of winter and just stand by with the shotgun for some fast paced smoking rabbit action :lol:

A property we shoot on at Orange NSW has a few gates out the back that rarely get used by the farmer but we go through them a bit to a camp site. Short of taking a whipper snipper over there I find slashing the grass/blackberry with a light cane knife or machete the quickest way to get the gates open when we haven't been up there for a while. He tends of to put cattle out there because some of the fencing needs work and he doesn't need the feed.

Chronos

Sounds like you need to do like Ted does and get the whipper snipper into action mate :lol: I like blackberry bushes, that's where the rabbits and foxes like to live so I won't be burning em out anytime soon. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bluerob » 26 Mar 2015, 1:09 pm

tom604 wrote:son of a b#%*h ^^^^^^ thats a bit of a mark up!!!!!

Mate, i spent a few years working in and with retail. I can assure you that 100% mark up is the minimum that must be achieved. Rent, wages, workers comp (if you employ staff), insurance (if you burn down), tax and a few other issues that must be addressed BEFORE you order the Porsche or Ferrari. Jewelry is usually 1000% - I'm serious and not trying to be funny. Google "The Truth about the diamond industry."

I've seen quite a few businesses go down, simply because the owners were dumb (didn't know what customer service means), greedy, try to run 2 books and get busted or because they generally don't give a s**t, get hit with WH&S fine or a combination of each.

Then I've seen businesses get shafted through non payment (subbies, doing trade work). There's a rumor that a certain construction company purposely under quoted a major project, knowing they'd never finish the contract. Assets got moved into wives & kids names. Guess what happened?? Directors say "gee, sorry, we didn't forecast blah, blah, blah" You can find these people in flash resorts.

The average person has woken up to the fact that the massive xmas etc sales are bulls**t - they are getting rid of stock that the stock purchaser must've been bribed to buy in the 1st instance.

Lucky we aren't getting shafted on factory ammo these days :sarcasm:
Last edited by bluerob on 26 Mar 2015, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 26 Mar 2015, 1:09 pm

bigfellascott wrote:

:lol: ive tried that but the little blighters go further in :evil: and i have short arms :oops: :lol: :lol: red bellies in my area :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 26 Mar 2015, 1:29 pm

Sounds like you need a mini foxie. :lol:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 26 Mar 2015, 3:25 pm

bluerob wrote:Mate, i spent a few years working in and with retail. I can assure you that 100% mark up is the minimum that must be achieved.

Bit of side information... I was a chef back in the day and recall our mark up on food costs was 300%.

The bar wasn't my thing but that's even more.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 26 Mar 2015, 4:33 pm

my oath you can chainsaw blackberries, a chainsaw works a treat to cut an escape path through blackberries and light scrub.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gwion » 26 Mar 2015, 5:55 pm

Lorgar wrote:
bluerob wrote:Mate, i spent a few years working in and with retail. I can assure you that 100% mark up is the minimum that must be achieved.

Bit of side information... I was a chef back in the day and recall our mark up on food costs was 300%.

The bar wasn't my thing but that's even more.

The basics of costing a menu. Price of ingredients X3. Ingredients + overheads + profit. Quite often the over heads kick into the profit margin as well.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by dustin » 27 Mar 2015, 12:08 pm

Seems like booze is about 3-4 times as well.
dustin
Private
Private

New South Wales

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment