Q&A: US TrailCams and Aussie sim cards compatibility

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Q&A: US TrailCams and Aussie sim cards compatibility

Post by KWhorenet » 28 Apr 2015, 6:30 pm

This should be a short one, but while I'm ordering a couple of things from OS I saw a couple of good deals on trail cams with sim card/SMS capability.

Has anyone bought trail cams from the US and used with Australian sim card without issues?

Is the frequency / band width something that will be an issue here just like US two way radios?
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Re: Q&A: US TrailCams and Aussie sim cards compatibility

Post by RoginaJack » 28 Apr 2015, 9:52 pm

Do you mean SD cards? If so no difference....
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by KWhorenet » 29 Apr 2015, 10:37 am

No I mean SIM card.

For sending photos and alerts to my phone via SMS
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by RoginaJack » 29 Apr 2015, 11:00 am

Gee, sorry.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by KWhorenet » 29 Apr 2015, 11:21 am

RoginaJack wrote:Gee, sorry.

Didn't mean to come off rude :oops:

The frequency our communications use is often different to the US.

Just wondering if anyone has bought a trail cam from US that sends SMS photos and got it to work here in Aus using our telecommunications/wireless networks
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Grrzrr » 29 Apr 2015, 2:59 pm

Rogina,

Think you'll find he's talking about trailcams which send the pictures to your phone or computer like a MMS, hence the sim card for the telco provider.

Don't know the answer to your questions though sorry KW
Grrzrr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 30 Apr 2015, 12:57 pm

Thanks Grrzrr,

I use a Nikon camera to send thumbnails sized photos to smartphones etc and these are not "band width" dependant but the best way would be to contact the manufacturer, I suppose.
As a guess, I don't think the Trail Cams would be 'cause cameras aren't band width specific nut I wouldn't bet on it. Check with the manufacturer.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by KWhorenet » 30 Apr 2015, 2:24 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Thanks Grrzrr,

I use a Nikon camera to send thumbnails sized photos to smartphones etc and these are not "band width" dependant but the best way would be to contact the manufacturer, I suppose.
As a guess, I don't think the Trail Cams would be 'cause cameras aren't band width specific nut I wouldn't bet on it. Check with the manufacturer.

Hi RG,

I suspect your camera to phone is using Bluetooth which is a different thing to this.

The band width I'm talking about is what frequency the signals are transmitted on, allot like radio or mobile phone.
Our wireless frequencies used in Australia are different to those used in the US for radio so I need to look into what is used by our mobile / wireless phone networks.

A radio bought in the US wont work here in Aus for this reason so I'm concerned that a wireless SMS/MMS photo transmitting Trail Cam not designed for use here may not work. Hope I'm making sense.

What ever I find out I will post here.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by anthillinside » 30 Apr 2015, 6:57 pm

Hi I think I understand your meaning.
Not Bandwidth, but working band, a bit like channel and protocol in use, Analogue -!=> Digital ->GSM - 2G 3G now 4G and others between basically everything after GSM is backward compatible :friends:
It used to be an issue years ago when new stuff didn't work on the old systems but since 99% of phone coms chips cover the majority of standards now it's not likely to be an issue.
Your phone will work in USA and other countries as long as you have paid for global roaming and vice a versa.
Just about anything designed in the last 5 years to use the mobile network will use global compatible chips. :thumbsup:
Pretty much the only hassle now is making sure you get the right SIZE SIM card :crazy:
Cavet: :unknown: It never hurts to ask the seller/manufacturer just in case.
1 in 1000 it could be a cheap Chinese bit of crap built to get rid of surplus obsolete components. But price should tell you that.
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Seconds » 04 May 2015, 2:51 pm

anthillinside wrote:Your phone will work in USA and other countries as long as you have paid for global roaming and vice a versa.

Sold your house to pay the global. roaming charges you mean :crazy:
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 04 May 2015, 3:02 pm

Seconds wrote:
anthillinside wrote:Your phone will work in USA and other countries as long as you have paid for global roaming and vice a versa.

GF found that out the nasty way last year whilst she was a mule on my shopping spree... I mean dearest was on her holiday :silent:
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by anthillinside » 04 May 2015, 10:43 pm

Seconds wrote:

Yeah you got that right, I forgot to turn of data for just one day while OS and got a nasty suprise :problem:
But I think KWhornet got that sused out already .. pre paid :thumbsup:
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sav » 05 May 2015, 8:51 am

Post a list of specs what bands etc.. Does the device have. Some will work. As an example if it was a CDMA banded device (which I don't think it would be) than no it won't work.

But certain GSM bands it would. Once you find that information it will be pretty easy to determine if it will work or not.
Sav
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Harts » 05 May 2015, 10:11 am

I worked telco retail years ago and a customer bought a roaming data sim for a trip to Italy I think it was.

As it turned out the reception and connectivity there made it useless, he was sometimes able to connect but was immediately disconnected and got no use out of it.

In the mean time the bill was $220 per connection!!!

One for one second then disconnected was $220. He had 10 or 11 connections billed at 1-2 seconds use each time :wtf:
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment