Spika SCH1 vs SFABH

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Spika SCH1 vs SFABH

Post by veep » 22 Oct 2013, 10:39 am

Hi guys,

So the Spika SCH1 is a popular safe obviously - I see now that Spika do their SFABH which looks to be the same but is also fire resistant.

They're both 150kg, 16 rifle, A,B,C & H etc. and they're both about the same price.

Previously the first fire resistance safe they offered was the SFB1 which was 270kg.

So the previous offering was 120kg more than the SFABH. Obviously that's a lot more safe...

The fire resistance thing is really for a bit of piece of mine. Realistically I doubt we're ever had a fire as our place is lots of concrete & brick, especially where the safe will be.

If getting the fire resistance is getting me less physical security compared to the SCH1 for example I'd probably give the SFABH a miss and get the SCH1 instead.

Anyone got, or got some feedback on the new SFABH safe?
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Spika SCH1 vs SFABH

Post by agentzero » 22 Oct 2013, 12:03 pm

I notice it's actually about 10cm x 5cm smaller.

They've just shuffled some of the regular steel around with heat resistant mats instead I suppose.

Wouldn't be a bad safe regardless. Still better than your $300 locker setup.
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Supporter » 22 Oct 2013, 12:15 pm

One less locking bolt on the SFABH I see too.

Whether or not that matters...

Personally I'd rather just have the extra space and few extra KG of the SCH1 if your area is reasonable fire proof as it is.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by tucked » 22 Oct 2013, 12:37 pm

From what I've read the fire resistance of your average safe has basically been debunked.

Either the fire gets put out before it goes too far, or if your place really goes up anything inside gets oven roasted to oblivion anyway.

I'd just shop for physical security too.
tucked
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Spika SFABH vs SCH1

Post by Rocker » 22 Oct 2013, 2:09 pm

Just FYI, the 270kg SFB1 is only about $300 more than the other two.

For $300 difference maybe get one of those instead and cover all your concerns?
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Granting » 23 Oct 2013, 1:25 pm

tucked wrote:Either the fire gets put out before it goes too far, or if your place really goes up anything inside gets oven roasted to oblivion anyway.

Someone on here shared their story of that happening to them.

I think their house got struck by lightning and without an hour had burnt down.

All the rifles in the safe were twisted black sticks afterwards.
Tikka T3 Camo Stainless 30-06 w/ Zeiss Duralyt 3–12x50
Sako A11 22-250
Remington M514 22LR
Granting
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by sneaker » 24 Oct 2013, 8:20 am

It was Kram.

Copy/paste from the thread on this...

kram wrote:The house I lived in out at Condobolin was struck by lightning in 1992. burnt to the ground in 1 hour. The fireproof safe in the house was a twisted piece of scrap and the door was ajar with the blackened ,siezed barreled actions still inside. I let the cops take them away and never even gave them a second thought ,they were that far gone.

So much for that :?
sneaker
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Calamity Jen » 19 Dec 2013, 4:45 pm

Couldn't resist resurrecting this thread. I had been contemplating getting one of these two safes on the weekend. Finally narrowed it down to Spika SCH1, until I realised that the H compartment was only tiny! Just got off the blower from their H/O and apparently it measures 210 H x 310 W x 240 D. What's that like only 2 handguns laying one on top of another? For those who have gone with this, how many pistols have you been able to store? Thanks.
Calamity Jen
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Monty » 19 Dec 2013, 7:51 pm

Calamity Jen wrote:Just got off the blower from their H/O and apparently it measures 210 H x 310 W x 240 D. What's that like only 2 handguns laying one on top of another?

Nah more than that. 4 in small cases, 6 without? Rough estimate there...
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Calamity Jen » 20 Dec 2013, 4:35 am

Ah, that's better. Thanks for that Monty. Much appreciated. -Jen
Calamity Jen
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 20 Dec 2013, 8:08 am

I think you're under estimating the space there, Jen.

I don't have one, but I've had a looks inside one at my local... From memory you could definitely get more than 2 pistols in. Monty sounds about right.

Going and having a look at one would be best obviously.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 20 Dec 2013, 1:02 pm

Norton wrote:I don't have one

I do...

You can definitely fit more than 2 in Jen.

As an idea for you, at the moment in my cat H section I have 400 .308 rounds in factory boxes. And there would still be room to fanagle a few more in it I really tried.

I don't shoot pistols, but I'm sure you can fit 4 in without much hassle or scratching them up.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Calamity Jen » 22 Dec 2013, 7:20 pm

Thanks for the input. I went to have a look inside but they'd sold out of the SCH1. The SFABH 's H compartment was fine for my needs. I suspect the SCH1 is just a bit smaller. One of the gents from Spika suggested I put a pistol safe inside the safe. Hmmm. What do you reckon about that?
Calamity Jen
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 22 Dec 2013, 7:37 pm

Calamity Jen wrote:One of the gents from Spika suggested I put a pistol safe inside the safe. Hmmm. What do you reckon about that?

I'm not sure that will fly.

Cat H safe must be bolted to the structure. If it's a pistol safe sitting freely in a cat A/B compartment I think you'll have problems.

Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Calamity Jen » 23 Dec 2013, 2:41 pm

Norton wrote:
Calamity Jen wrote:One of the gents from Spika suggested I put a pistol safe inside the safe. Hmmm. What do you reckon about that?

I'm not sure that will fly.

Cat H safe must be bolted to the structure. If it's a pistol safe sitting freely in a cat A/B compartment I think you'll have problems.

Immediately that's what I thought. Unless I go about drilling into the safe to secure the pistol safe, which I wouldn't, I couldn't see how that would satisfy the class H requirements? Just found it so odd that he'd even recommend that. You'd think they'd know their onions. Lol. I've just resigned myself to having less pistols. And if the time comes that I just "need" more, I'll go another pistol safe. The SCH1 ought to do for now. ;)
Calamity Jen
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 23 Dec 2013, 2:58 pm

Calamity Jen wrote:Immediately that's what I thought. Unless I go about drilling into the safe to secure the pistol safe, which I wouldn't, I couldn't see how that would satisfy the class H requirements?

Thinking more on it, I'm certain it wouldn't. To quote the NSW Police website for Cat G:

"The safe must be bolted to the structure of the premises where the firearm is authorised to be kept."

And that underline is included on the site, I didn't add it.

Cat H has 'level two' security requirements. A cat A/B safe meets 'level one' security requirements.

In order to pick up and carry away your Cat H safe which is sitting inside your SCH1, they only need to defeat a Cat A/B security setup.

Calamity Jen wrote:Just found it so odd that he'd even recommend that. You'd think they'd know their opinions.

Too many people are keen to give out advice with the mentality "It should be be right" or "if they have a problem just say tell them..." when it's someone else's guns and license at stake.

I'd like to see him use the same setup he's suggesting... For some reason I think he'd go to the extra effort for himself.

Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Calamity Jen » 09 Jan 2014, 3:26 pm

Just had the boys from Safari Firearms around to my joint to drop off the Spika SCH1. Totally chuffed with my purchase. Mind you the H compartment is tiny! I'd be flat out getting 1 handgun in its hard low profile/transport case in there. Out of the case in soft bags, 3 or 4 at most. So between hubby and my intended 2014 purchases, another H cat safe will be needed. But not for several months at the earliest. Totally happy with our purchase though. It's a good looking safe. Cannot recommend Safari Firearms highly enough for those in the area. Great shop. Great service.
Calamity Jen
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Rakk » 10 Jan 2014, 8:01 am

They're pretty smart looking safes the higher end Spika's.

On some of the other brands I can't help but feel it's just a big locker when you look/feel the thing.

Gratz on your purchase :D
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Nimrod » 11 Jun 2015, 10:24 am

Hey guys, new here. I'm also looking at the Spika SCH1. It's pretty difficult to find detailed specifications on these safes, possibly due to mobile browsers not liking the Spika website, but I was wondering do they use a SecureRAM digital lock? Also, are there any shelving options for the SCH1 if not what are you guys doing to yours? Thanks in advance
Nimrod
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by OODAH » 04 Dec 2015, 7:39 am

So i realise you guys got your safes in 2013 have you had any dramas or seen any other safes you wish you bought? I'm yet to lay eyes on the Spika SCH1 (they keep selling out before I get there) but from pictures and measurements it seems it is what I need. I'm trying to kill two bird with one stone and not have to buy another safe in six months when I get my Handgun so a 6mm lock box is a must. I looked at the lokaway LCH1 and the top box was tiny I defiantly want something at least a little bit bigger then that.
Cheers
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Herdsman » 04 Dec 2015, 9:08 am

Is there something wrong with the SecureRAM locks?
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment